Custom Superlight Quilt Run - Whos in

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Custom Superlight Quilt Run - Whos in

Post by FLV »

Proposal is to get a batch of quilts made. Mat at UK hammocks has agreed to manufacture them for us.

I am hoping to get to 10 units of the identical quilt.

Build method and quality to be the same as Mat's usual work.
Sewn in foot box,
Boxwall construction.
Down fill 900fp
Down qty. 200g
I'm looking to add a neck clip and draw cord as found on ukhammocks winter quilts
Shell material i slooking like Argon 90 (42gsm) - (There was an option for Argon 67 (28gsm) but it seems less popular so far)
Rough usage temp 5 degrees C (this is a guess based on other already on the market quilts)
Approx overall weight 390g - 400g
Colour will be down to whatever is available, but I did see some blue (may not be this colour)

Initial cost estimates are looking at approx £115 (its gone down due to argon 90 being cheaper than 67)
This may rise to about £125 if we cant get the numbers up to 10 same units. this is mainly due to machining costs and postage charges for minimum material orders
once I have numbers I can get a definite price and further specs as some bits depend on numbers.

p.s. I know its useless at this time of year but I expect there will be lead times of a few months to contend with.
p.p.s. This isnt me making these, I will not be profiting whatsoever, I'm just trying to organize a group buy.

Current interest (brackets show material preference, could anyone shown NP please confirm) - Let me know if this is inaccurate.
DaveK(67) In
Dan_K(90) In
Welshwhit(90) in
Lughnasdah(90) In
Cheeky Monkey(90) In
kumquat (90) in
bookwyse (90) in
wildgecko (90) in
scott of the woods (90) in
ScotRoutes(NP) in

Charliecres(NP)Maybe

Durhambiker (90) maybe
Chew (90) maybe

jBay(NP) Would Like Long Version (+6")
Last edited by FLV on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:47 am, edited 16 times in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Custom Superlight Quilt Run - Whos in

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any ideas on the actual design yet Dave?

Sewn in footbox?
Shockcord loops on the back?
Sewn through or baffles?
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

s8tannorm wrote:Any ideas on the actual design yet Dave?

Sewn in footbox?
Shockcord loops on the back?
Sewn through or baffles?
Sewn in footbox, boxwall, everything same as current uk hammocks (summer TQ) quilts.
No frills.

New pricing updated above.

Want one?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'm interested in a quilt out of that material BUT with a winter fill (so c.500g). No problem if this can't / is too much of a PITA to accommodate.

I've already got a summer weight quilt from Matt and it's a great piece of gear.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:I'm interested in a quilt out of that material BUT with a winter fill (so c.500g). No problem if this can't / is too much of a PITA to accommodate.

I've already got a summer weight quilt from Matt and it's a great piece of gear.
The pricing of getting them made is based on a batch of 10 same items

However, there shouldn't be much of a reason not to get the material for you at the same time. I'll be in touch when / if we can move forward mate
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Cool :cool:

TBH let me know when you're getting close and I'll decide then. It's struck me that a superlightweight summer TQ could just be a layer in another TQ, thereby giving me a winter, 2 piece quilt. So, I could just go for the original idea rather than try and bugger up your order :wink:

If my vote counts, bearing in mind what I've said above, I'd go for the more durable one (Argon 90).
FLV

Post by FLV »

every vote counts mate :-)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'll have an argon 90 one.

Thanks for organising.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I'm interested but it depends to some extent on when it happens because I'm skint at the moment.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheers Dan. Argon 90 is now winning,

That looks like 3 so far.

Charlie, it depends when we get enough people in, and on lead times. I'll count you as a maybe for now and we can discuss more later. I wouldnt expect to be asking for any cash to be paid until after xmas.
jBay

Post by jBay »

Being 6ft5 is long an option?
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

I'd be interested in the argon 90 version,

Do you quilt using folk reckon you could use this 'over' a sleeping bag effectively?

Thanks for the organisation, here's hoping it works out
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH I'm skeptical about the whole quilt concept but the idea that this is being designed by someone more knowledgeable about them has me interested. Put me down as half a vote and convince a long-term sleeping bag user that this is the future :)
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

I am very interested. Don't think I would want to go back to a sleeping bag after trying my UK Hammocks winter quilt and it is too damn warm for summer use!
FLV

Post by FLV »

jbay, as with cheekymonkey. The first instanceis to get quilts all the same, but I'll bear it in mind and see what can be done as we move on with it.

All, see updates in post 1 above.

Dave
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

I would rather have longevity than uber lightness so my preference is Argon90 but I would join in regardless.

A colour other than the strange golden condom thing my winter quilt has going on would be good : )
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ScotRoutes wrote:TBH I'm skeptical about the whole quilt concept but the idea that this is being designed by someone more knowledgeable about them has me interested. Put me down as half a vote and convince a long-term sleeping bag user that this is the future :)
I was skeptical too and discussed it ages ago on here with someone. I only got one when I started hammocking more seriously (and when Mat of Ukhammocks lived just down the road - I'm glad he's moved, it was getting expensive!). However, once I'd used it they just made sense and my experiences have been wholly positive.

So far I've never been cold in a situation where I think a traditional bag would make a big difference. I also always tend to use a TiGoat or Borah bivi bag so just don't encountered what I feared which was gust of cold air / venting out warm air around the edges.

The logic/fact of compressed insulation being almost totally ineffective is hard to deny. Just try a hammock with no UQ in a regular style bag - Cold Butt Syndrome!

I mainly use a Downmat with my quilts as well to ensure reduction in heat loss to ground.

I too have the "Coyote Brown" / gold condom style bag. Apparently Mat got in some black years ago but people didn't want it so he revert to condom and forest green. Hey ho :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Buggerrit, stick me down for a superlight / standard one and forget I asked about a winter version :cool:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Buggerrit, stick me down for a superlight / standard one and forget I asked about a winter version :cool:
Nice :-)

I'll give it a bit longer and make sure all those who want one are accounted for, then get moving on it. If theres any movment on prices, I'll update.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

No rush on my part. So long as you're quicker than that Rooster ;-)
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:No rush on my part. So long as you're quicker than that Rooster ;-)
:grin:

I havnt even mentioned a timescale yet :lol:
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Only just spotted this, being a recent quilt convert and having a winter weight one, this should slot in nicely.
Put me down for one in Argon 90, not bothered about colour, neck clip would be excellent and keep us in touch with developments.
Thanks for organising things.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Artie Fufkin wrote:Only just spotted this, being a recent quilt convert and having a winter weight one, this should slot in nicely.
Put me down for one in Argon 90, not bothered about colour, neck clip would be excellent and keep us in touch with developments.
Thanks for organising things.
Jolly Good. You're In. I'm pretty confident in the design (as its basically a lighter version of UK Hammocks proven quilts) so its just a numbers game.

:-bd
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Put me down as a maybe for now, heavier weight fabric. Might be a 30th bday present to myself
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Hi
I'm in
Would prefer slightly heavier weight/durable option.
Grubby little urchin.