The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Johnallan

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Johnallan »

Verena wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:19 am
fatbikephil wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:33 am (I'm probably going to get some stick for this...)
With a set of aero / TT bars for the Straggler - I'm not needing to go any faster but have taken to resting my forearms on the bars on longer rides to give my wrists and hands a rest, despite the bars being higher than the seat, so it would be nice to have something a bit more secure (and higher).... Anyway will give these a whirl (prime mini TT's) and advertise them on here if they don't work out....
I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
Have never used aero bars, but am curious, for same reason.
Interested also. I do use some Profile Design ones on longer road rides but I have them spaced quite high for both comfort and to not lose use of the 'tops'. I don't think spacers are available to raise the height of these are they?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:33 am (I'm probably going to get some stick for this...)
With a set of aero / TT bars for the Straggler - I'm not needing to go any faster but have taken to resting my forearms on the bars on longer rides to give my wrists and hands a rest, despite the bars being higher than the seat, so it would be nice to have something a bit more secure (and higher).... Anyway will give these a whirl (prime mini TT's) and advertise them on here if they don't work out....
I probably cycle into the next wall or skip :o . With my neck I find it hard riding on drops now.. :???: must work on my flexibility so eat more yoga-hurt.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
faustus

Post by faustus »

Just delivered a Spesh Purgatory 29x2.6 for front duties on the Unit over winter, Exactly 1kg on the scales, but has a decent looking tread that's more suitable than the Mezcal currently on the front! Last time I used a Purg was on the rear of my 26er Inbred in winter, and it gripped very well. It was also a bargain at £22.50! Thanks to Jameso who mentioned this bargain on a thread somewhere (possibly on the 'other place'?). :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Johnallan wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:07 am
Interested also. I do use some Profile Design ones on longer road rides but I have them spaced quite high for both comfort and to not lose use of the 'tops'. I don't think spacers are available to raise the height of these are they?
Prime do spacers for another version of their TT bars - should fit. Looks like I might need them as they are getting in the way of where I strap my bar roll on thanks to my weird riser drop bars.
https://primebikecomponents.com/product ... -riser-kit

So far they have scored highly in the living room test!
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Last time I used my aero bars in anger—riding on them extensively over 3 days around the coast of Wales—I needed a good few months of physio to get full movement back in my hands having messed up my ulnar nerve at the top of my back. It was a good six months before I could make any gang signs, which is obviously a priority for a 50 y/o bloke on the tough lanes of Cumbria! It doesn't sound as though your position is gonna be extreme, but it may be worth building up to spending a long time on them.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmmm, noted Pete! I've enough age related body issues without adding to them... I'm working on the basis of not using them all the time - just from time to time to rest my wrists and hands. I've ordered the risers as CRC were doing them for 9 quid. Just have to work out how I mount the Garmin now...

(cue tearing the whole lot off in a couple of months time!)
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I've just been give a packet and said "why haven't you opened it". It been on the dining room table all week (now Mrs ledburner WFH office).
My answer "that's your space , why not the kitchen table as usual?"
Any 5 10mm dia. M5 threaded 5mm spacers. To fit a chainset. Custom made as kindly offered, so Thanks Fat Bike Phil.!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

My aero bar spacers are just stainless threaded rod. It flexes a bit, but should be well below its elastic limit so I consider it extra suspension :grin: Might not work for all aero bars though.
Al

Post by Al »

Stickers :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ledburner wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:03 am I've just been give a packet and said "why haven't you opened it". It been on the dining room table all week (now Mrs ledburner WFH office).
Any 5 10mm dia. M5 threaded 5mm spacers. To fit a chainset. Custom made as kindly offered, so Thanks Fat Bike Phil.!
:-bd Just to say, go canny with the allen key - 5 or 6Nm at the most!
Hope they work OK....

Postie came with my title deeds and a whole load of other paper work. I now officially own my house!

Ooh and an ergotec 'High Bass' stem for the Krampus as I managed to break one of the clamp brackets on the mondraker. Spendy but will put the bars nice and high.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:36 pm
ledburner wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:03 am I've just been give a packet and said "why haven't you opened it". It been on the dining room table all week (now Mrs ledburner WFH office).
:-bd Just to say, go canny with the allen key - 5 or 6Nm at the most!
Hope they work OK....

Postie came with my title deeds and a whole load of other paper work. I now officially own my house!

Ooh and an ergotec 'High Bass' stem for the Krampus as I managed to break one of the clamp brackets on the mondraker. Spendy but will put the bars nice and high.
[/quotey
5Nm noted. :wink:
Title deeds, congratulations they are historic document, legal doc online with land registry. :wink:
I think I've got a high stem on the road bike. The bars are just above the saddle. I need to work on flexability. :smile:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Some Sidi krako shoes arrived today - courtesy of a 60% off sale at Sportpursuit. Will use them tomorrow for a ride over Bromsgrove way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

..and dropped off a torque wrench and some haribo courtesy of wiggle.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Custom map ready for this winter :-bd
Attachments
IMG_8178.jpeg
IMG_8178.jpeg (271.91 KiB) Viewed 10657 times
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:10 pm Custom map ready for this winter :-bd
Like! :-bd
faustus

Post by faustus »

Like the custom map, and the subtitle 'a box ticking exercise', motivational! :-bd
faustus

Post by faustus »

Used some book vouchers to get these two bikepacking books. Also a nukeproof headset and spacers at a very good price for a new build.
First flick through and the Wales book is really good, the Scotland one less so mainly because it is more gravel focussed with large proportion of tarmac. Anyway, lots of nice food for thought. :-bd

Boab

Post by Boab »

... and dropped off a new t-shirt, some coffee beans and some vinyl.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Received the filter Ton linked to yesterday :cool:

Also revived two wetsuits, one for me and one for mrs voodoo. Think it’s wiggles own brand, Fohn. They’re 3/2mm thick, so hopefully fine for spring summer swimming and were £20 instead of £100!

For a couple of years we said we’d try wild swimming, so £20 for suit seems like a good starting point (and yes, I’m too much of a wimp to try it with just swimming shorts).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Lots of stuff recently - mainly odds and ends but a few highlights - Ergotec High Bass stem for max bar height, a pair of bling carbon super high and wide Klunker bars (cheers ATV!) for even more max bar height, some new Revelate pogies which were an impulse ebay buy (cheap!), all to make the fatty a bit more comfortable and fun. Also cheap BB's, chain oil, bar tape, profile spacers for the Straggs aero bars....

Finally (and OT) a engine!
faustus

Post by faustus »

A rather nice, little-used, bargain-priced chunk of Titanium arrived. That means a Kona Unit X frameset will be on sale soon! :lol:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

A warranty Neoair Xlite NXT mat and a Seiko Alpinist watch.
Tractionman

Post by Tractionman »

ex army goretex bivvy, BF discount, from GoArmy, looks basically unused :-bd right, all set for an overnighter...
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

...and delivered my new Planet X Tempest. Lovely!
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Also, a pair of Nukeproof electron pedals and a spare derailleur hanger.