Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

LLuest cwm bach trip pics

Post by Mike »

Heres a few pics from mine n composites weekend away to the bothy
A wet trail but nice route
Looking very happy in the rain
I dont suggest trying to carry sacks of wood for the fire on your bike when you still have a mile or more and rough terrain
Some kind person left this for us to consume....mmmmmmm
Feeling right at home in this bothy
no more rain
We made a small diversion so i could check out the hut
An vaguely exciting downhill came next on this track that went nowhere in particular
A final cuppa n cake before we drive home, a great trip was had all round!!
johnnystorm

Re: LLuest cwm bach trip pics

Post by johnnystorm »

Looks like a must-visit location! :)
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Looks like a fantastic trip!

Drew
composite

Post by composite »

It was a really good trip, I thoroughly enjoyed it. LLuest cwm bach is definitely my new favourite bothy. Just a shame about the fuel situation.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I quite liked carrying 4kg of rough wood in a sack with no handle over my shoulder pal its really comfortable and doesnt hinder u one bit whilst riding off road sheep tracks through waist height mosquito infested bracken :???: maybe we should consider planting trees nearby bothies that have no fuel source for future use (longterm obviously)
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Looks like a great trip !

Was thinking about a trip over there before Christmas, but don't know the area very well.
Where did you start/end the ride & what sort of distance did you do?
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
composite

Post by composite »

Wotsits wrote:Looks like a great trip !

Was thinking about a trip over there before Christmas, but don't know the area very well.
Where did you start/end the ride & what sort of distance did you do?
We drove up to the toilet block closest to the bothy and hid a few bags of wood, which we picked up later. We then drove back to Rhayader and parked. There are a few different places you can leave a car over night there. We did about 20miles on the first day and 22 miles the second. You can easily get more miles in if you wanted to we just decided we only wanted a bit of a pootle. It was a good job actually as the weather was woeful on the first day.

I can help you put together a route if you want?
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

composite wrote: We drove up to the toilet block closest to the bothy and hid a few bags of wood, which we picked up later. We then drove back to Rhayader and parked. There are a few different places you can leave a car over night there. We did about 20miles on the first day and 22 miles the second. You can easily get more miles in if you wanted to we just decided we only wanted a bit of a pootle. It was a good job actually as the weather was woeful on the first day.

I can help you put together a route if you want?
Thanks Composite

John Climber & myself were thinking about taking some bothy newbies out in the not too distant future. Problem is i think some of them want to 'shred some knar' during the ride part, even though we've warned them that this is prob not a good idea with a loaded bike, it would be good if there was a route with some sections to keep them interested..

Was there no firewood left in the lean-to store?
I've got some of those fire log things (like they used in Back to the Future), but would probably need to sort out an extra bag of wood/coal if there's not much already there..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

John Climber & myself were thinking about taking some bothy newbies out in the not too distant future. Problem is i think some of them want to 'shred some knar' during the ride part, even though we've warned them that this is prob not a good idea with a loaded bike, it would be good if there was a route with some sections to keep them interested..
Take 'em to Nant Syddion via Nant yr Arian :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

s8tannorm wrote:Take 'em to Nant Syddion via Nant yr Arian :wink:
Sounds dangerous in a strange bastid glint kind of way.. :grin:
Can you pm me anymore info Stu?
composite

Post by composite »

There were at least 3 sections I would have said would fit that bill on the route we did. They were gnar enough that I thought I would love to go back and give them a full tackle out type bash on the full susser. The land rover track down the mountain road to Rhayader is vaguely exciting!

We bumped into a guy who looked like he had been doing some work on the bothy, he had a 2 wheel trolly with tool boxes strapped to it. Fortunately for us he had left a load of wood there and the fire was still going! Unfortunately for us we had already picked up the bags of wood from our stash. :)
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

It looks from your pics that the bothy has had a lick of paint inside.

I've got a guidebook with some routes in that area & was wondering if they might have some of the ones you'd ridden.
Is it ok if i pm you a scan when i get chance?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Wotsits. I also know another route u can do with atleast three vaguely exciting descents that will get the pecker twitching a bit so to speak if u want me to send it u? Its a variation on the route me n Neil did

Mike
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stick the decent down to Garreg-Ddu in starting from SN 933665 and they should be happy. On the way back throw in the 'Golf links' from SN 938699 and it'll be all smiles back to Rhayader.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes the descent stu has mentioned down from SN 933665 is one of the ones on my gpx, its great with a cheeky drop off near the end!! Id start it from the climb at the mtn rd SN 933697 on bridle path then left on path near trig an then its another great descent all way down to SN 950669 then back up lane to stus grid for another climb then the descent! Stu is the golf links the descent down the byway down the common or the descent down to cwmcoch which heads N of the Byway at SN938699 as i saw this from the road on our way out of town it looks good!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'Golf links' is the byway that drops down to the back road to Llangurig.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Yetiman wrote:Wotsits. I also know another route u can do with atleast three vaguely exciting descents that will get the pecker twitching a bit so to speak if u want me to send it u? Its a variation on the route me n Neil did

Mike
That would be great Mike, email sent!
s8tannorm wrote:Stick the decent down to Garreg-Ddu in starting from SN 933665 and they should be happy. On the way back throw in the 'Golf links' from SN 938699 and it'll be all smiles back to Rhayader.
Thanks Stu

Is Claerddu also worth a visit & is it left unlocked?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is Claerddu also worth a visit & is it left unlocked?
Aye, it's a very posh bothy. Does tend to see quite a few DoE groups but there's plenty of room ... 2 things though.

1/ The gas was leaking when I was last there, could be fixed now but be careful.

2/ There's no obvious track from the road, so it might take a little searching out.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

s8tannorm wrote: 1/ The gas was leaking when I was last there, could be fixed now but be careful.
:shock: I hope they've not got the boiler on a timer...
composite

Post by composite »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I hope they've not got the boiler on a timer...
Luckily no boiler but a gas cooker / oven. There used to be a gas fire and gas lamps but they've been removed.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Wotsits wrote: Is Claerddu also worth a visit & is it left unlocked?
Bumped into Taylor and a few others on here in that Bothy when the 2nd ever BearBones 200 was taking place, that's how I ended up frequenting this forum!