Making your own gear

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

adjustablewench

Making your own gear

Post by adjustablewench »

Has anyone made there own bags? I am looking to make a frame bag and was thinking of getting some of this fabric - shown here in a pannier;

http://www.extremtextil.de/tipps/galler ... _radtasche

there's also this handy video, which is handy but making the bag is quite straight forward.

http://youtu.be/oWDRiexLA0I

My main query is - has anyone else made one and how did they find it? Also what is the best set up in side - two zips with two separate compartments - or as he has done and internal divider that just sections it off, with an extra mesh pocket at the top to organise stuff.

Water resistant zip seem to be one of the pricier elements, anyone know of a cheap source of zip by the metre?

(i plan to do a bag to fit a 18" inbred 29er if anyone wants a pattern afterwards let me know)
Anthony

Re: Making your own gear

Post by Anthony »

There are a few of us on here that have made their own. If you're proficient at using a sewing machine and generally know how textile products are constructed they aren't that difficult to do. For your first attempt you need patience and allow plenty of time, it is quite fiddly at times. You need to plan ahead too, there is no point making the bag then realising you should have sewn the zip in first!

Your fabric choice looks good.

My favourite set up is a simple 2 compartment model- 2 zips and a velcro internal devider. You need to give a bit of thought as to what you want to carry where to make sure you optimise the limited space.

Zips, I never bothered with a waterproof version. They do look great, but the bags aren't waterproof anyway so I don't think the zip really compromises anything. My zips are enclosed to help keep mud at bay.

Post up some pics once you're done :)

Total cost of this one was about £15-18 and 4-5hrs head scratching/tea drinking.