BB200 Maps

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

welshwhit

BB200 Maps

Post by welshwhit »

So, do folk generally carry paper maps with them.

Years of outdoor activities tell me yes.... space on the bike says trust the gps....but really unsure!

Whats the consensus? printed 1:50000?

Drew
mountainbaker

Re: BB200 Maps

Post by mountainbaker »

On my garmin mainly. And as backup on my phone using BackCountry Navigator (android app) with the whole area downloaded in 1:50 and 1:25 OS with the GPX overlaid.
Giacomo

Post by Giacomo »

I'm new to this GPS malarky! So, I'm bringing the trusty OS maps too... 1:25000

Hoping my few days of GPS practice on my commute will suffice, but I'm hopeful for many things this weekend... Surely not everything can go right! :-)
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

GPS with relevant OS maps printed out with the route marked on and laminated. Compass in pocket too...

Just in case. Only used the paper version twice last year, but both times got me out of a spot of doubt/confusion...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I used my paper maps about 3 times last year, they were very handy. Was 1:50k landranger, printed on 2 A3 sheets double sided, that got the whole route on it last year. Laser printed, they held up in my jersey pocket ok for the ride, but were a bit knackered by the time I rolled into the finish at 3am!

In fairness, I was using only a breadcrumb trail on a tiny edge200...and then that kept zooming out to show the whole 200k route whenever I stopped/was at snails pace which added an extra dimension of confusion :oops:
slarge

Post by slarge »

GPS with maps loaded and paper map as backup. You never know when the gps will throw a wobbler or you might need a short/fast route back to the start.