1 week to go...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: 1 week to go...

Post by Ian »

I have a question also. The hike-a-bike sections look challenging in parts. How much variation is permitted off the official line if we can locate a sheep path that goes vaguely in the right direction?
Not looking at short cutting anything, but equally not wanting to trudge through knee high tussocks in the dark if I discover a walk-able sheep path 50m off the official line?
ir_bandito

Post by ir_bandito »

How on earth are you going to find a sheep track in the dark? (Assuming it will be dark as you're trudging along?)
Nowt showing up on Google earth..

In other news, aswell as bikehike, I've discovered that you can load the route (by copying and pasting the contents of the gpx) into wheresthepath, so you can view OS and google satellite view simultaneously.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not contributed much so far but a quick question. If we leave the route to stock up on food-water-have a good cry etc do we have to rejoin exactly where we left it or are things flexible providing the distance is correct. Just thinking of the Premier shop mentioned on the other thread which only seems to be accessable by going into Trawsfynydd but the route can be rejoined by cutting back to the main road.
If you're going off route to resupply, etc then backtrack and re-join the route where you left it.
The hike-a-bike sections look challenging in parts. How much variation is permitted off the official line if we can locate a sheep path that goes vaguely in the right direction?
Not looking at short cutting anything, but equally not wanting to trudge through knee high tussocks in the dark if I discover a walk-able sheep path 50m off the official line?
I've tried to make the gpx line match the obvious line on the ground as much as possible (you'll notice that some sections don't follow the ROW as shown on the map). It won't be perfect and even if it were, there's a good chance that a gps could be 20m or so out, so I think it's just a case of using a little common sense.
How on earth are you going to find a sheep track in the dark?
He'll use his finely honed sheep track finding sixth sense.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Does my Sol emergency bivy count as a bivy bag?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does my Sol emergency bivy count as a bivy bag?
Yes, just ... because it's waterproof and because it's you that'll have to sleep in it :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Sleep? I'll be using it to flag down motorists
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Ian

Post by Ian »

ir_bandito wrote:How on earth are you going to find a sheep track in the dark? (Assuming it will be dark as you're trudging along?)

In other news, aswell as bikehike, I've discovered that you can load the route (by copying and pasting the contents of the gpx) into wheresthepath, so you can view OS and google satellite view simultaneously.
"Find" is probably the wrong word - stumble upon in a generally disorientated and sleep deprived state is more accurate.
Plus it's easy to wander off a GPX line if you're not paying attention - ask the many folk who got lost on Carnau in broad daylight last year :wink:
composite

Post by composite »

Ian wrote:
ir_bandito wrote:How on earth are you going to find a sheep track in the dark? (Assuming it will be dark as you're trudging along?)

"Find" is probably the wrong word - stumble upon in a generally disorientated and sleep deprived state is more accurate.
Plus it's easy to wander off a GPX line if you're not paying attention - ask the many folk who got lost on Carnau in broad daylight last year :wink:
I think its actually much easier to stay on track in the dark. In the dark you just blindly follow the gps line, but in day light you try to find the track on the ground. So you spot something decide that must be it and then you gradually move off the line and all of a sudden you are a long way off it.
Ian

Post by Ian »

The alternative scenario is you follow a track, and the GPX line diverges away from it, but you stay on the track because you're tired or whatever, so you either hack back onto the line or continue in the hope the track brings you out in the right place eventually.

I can see folk getting off route on the section from Ysbyty Ifan to Llyn Celyn as there isn't much at all to follow on the ground.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Ian wrote:I can see folk getting off route on the section from Ysbyty Ifan to Llyn Celyn as there isn't much at all to follow on the ground.
That section could be the crux of the route.

At 135k in people are going to start to tyre, its going to be dark and navigation going to be tricky. Stop before and then crack on at dawn or push on through?

Looks like it could be a 'warm-up' death march section as there looks to be the 2 killer sections later on.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Ian wrote: I've bivvied in the beer garden at Rhiw Goch :-bd
Oh for a few nights like those again :shock:
And the food is great

Sounds like its going to be a bleak night, I freakin hate walking :roll:
The old git in the yellow socks
Ian

Post by Ian »

I don't imagine the meals will be buy one get one free this time either!
Chew

Post by Chew »

While we're on route clarification.

At 86k the route goes off to the right when theres a clear track (on google earth) than goes north.
Is that image out of date/something more obvious on the ground/have you just put it in for 'fun'?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

At 86k the route goes off to the right when theres a clear track (on google earth) than goes north.
Is that image out of date/something more obvious on the ground/have you just put it in for 'fun'?
Having stumbled up that whole section in a delightful storm, I can safely say that (from turning off the forest road at 83km) once you're at the top you won't give a toss which way the track goes :wink: Just stick with the gps.
composite

Post by composite »

I think this thread and the first technique mentioned should go along way to getting us through this weekend.
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... u-dig-deep
slarge

Post by slarge »

The first tip might be the correct method, but I am going for one of the techniques mentioned further down. It involves soap. :-bd
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Steve, that reminds me,.... Pack the kemo!!
composite

Post by composite »

slarge wrote:The first tip might be the correct method, but I am going for one of the techniques mentioned further down. It involves soap. :-bd
I thought that was the first technique. Maybe I had some sort of tunnel vision. :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just follow someone wearing one of these :wink:

slarge

Post by slarge »

slowupslowdown wrote:Steve, that reminds me,.... Pack the kemo!!

Thanks, but now I am confused as to the payment method. :???:
Chew

Post by Chew »

slarge wrote:Thanks, but now I am confused as to the payment method. :???:
Hopefully I doesn't involve soap :shock:
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

To all those travelling down from up'north, avoid the m56 as the traffic is horrendous :sad:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thought I'd share this ... just so you know what it looks like in daylight. The track's much less pronounced for the previous few km.

numplumz

Post by numplumz »

head for the lake, shimmering in the moonlight.......... :oops: I can wish
The old git in the yellow socks
composite

Post by composite »

Spent the day really studying the route and I have had a last min change of packing. Decided to go with sleeping bag and bivi bag in my ruck sack rather than on the bars. I reckon there's enough hike a bike that it will be better to have the weight on my back.

Have last minute changes ever been a good idea though? :|