Best GPS Device

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Giacomo

Best GPS Device

Post by Giacomo »

Hi all,

I have been bikepacking for a few years now and its finally time for me to invest in a GPS device. I intend to do some ITTs next year so need one that I can load GPX files to and record my times etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

ALSO - how do people go about charging them mid-ride?

Thanks
jamiep

Re: Best GPS Device

Post by jamiep »

Garmin Dakota 20 is popular with many on here. Takes AA batteries
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

I have two. I have a Garmin 705 bike computer which has a gps. Not invested in a means to charge it mid ride yet. Worthwhile checking this out from Composite! http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=7&t=4324 i have his blog post saved in my favourites.

I also have a Garmin Etrex 20 which i picked up from amazon last christmas in their sales, was £85 iirc. It takes AA's so I tend to carry spares with me so hopefully i can always find my way! :-bd
Giacomo

Post by Giacomo »

Cheers for the info. Going to look into the Dakota.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Depends on that features you want and how much cash you want to spend?

The most popular model on the forum seems to be the Dakota 20.

It has all the features you'll ever need (maps, ride stats)
You can pick the units up for around £130-150
Map SD cards are ~£20 via iOffer

Battery life is best part of two days riding via AA batteries (about average in the market)

Charging mid ride is either the old fashioned AA batteries route or charging via dynamo. Personally, unless you're going to do some long trips (2 weeks+) I don't really think a dynamo is needed. Batteries are small and you can pick them up anywhere.

Ray started a thread a couple of weeks back which has lots of details
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I've just got an Etrex 20 (similar to Dakota but with toggle instead of touch screen) for £100 at handtec. Seems spot-on
Shalarim

Post by Shalarim »

Garmin Edge 800, charged via battery powered USB charger (http://www.intl-outdoor.com/ml102-usb-c ... p-243.html), takes the large 18650 batteries. Managed to keep 2 edges and 2 smartphones charged on the WRT this year.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had a Dakota 20 and "upgraded" to an Oregon 600. I prefer the bigger screen, faster re-draw time (though there is still the occasional lag) and additional customisation. It still runs off AAs and I 15-18hrs from a set of NIMHs. It has a built-in battery charger, meant for Garmins own little battery pack, but it can be fooled into charging your own batteries too.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Satmap for me - its a bit of a brick but the big screen is good and its fairly idiot proof. Uses 3 x AA's or a 12hr life rechargable battery. Satmap have also acknowledged and passed on the OS's price drop on all its mapping unlike Garmin.