Frame bag, version 3

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

carbon-monkey

Frame bag, version 3

Post by carbon-monkey »

So using my bikepacking bicycle for work means it sees a lot of use each year and hence my kit take a fair battering. Combine that with my inability to sort out just one bike for work and bikepacking means I've now been in need of three different size and shape frame bags. So instead of blowing lots of money on a proper bag, I've utilised a roll of laminated nylon, the ground sheet from an old tent and a pile of other recycled materials to nock a few frame bags up. Every time I make one it's better than the last, none are ideal or perfect, but all have done 20-50 days of hauling bikepacking kit around and held up just fine. They've all cost me less than a fiver and less than a days work.

Version one, built for an on one inbred but worked on my mini pugsley too for a ten day Lakeland adventure:

Version two is a far more detailed model with internal pockets, external map pocket and an inside divider. Due to the funny tubes on my 9zero7 it also had to twist / bend a bit which this one does, but the bag didn't end up perfectly straight as a result :/

Most recent was a slightly hastily thrown together one for my recent Norway adventure and a stack of work either side of it. I'm happy with it and it has helped me learn again what I can try differently next time. One day I'll either cough up for a production one or convince someone to lend me one / sponsor me one for a proper epid adventure :)

Charliecres

Re: Frame bag, version 3

Post by Charliecres »

Nice bags. Norway looks rubbish, though. :wink:
Alpinum

Re: Frame bag, version 3

Post by Alpinum »

I got some good help from copying some elements from a production one and from here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWDRiexLA0I
Just don't follow it strictly as to imply your very specific needs. I'm super happy with my 3rd frame bag:
Tapered towards the front, detachable divider, net pocket for spoon and other smaller things and only 150 g.

Number 1 and 2 here:

It's definately a learning process. And very much worth the effort.
Keep it up :-bd