July Trans-Alp Trip

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

July Trans-Alp Trip

Post by gairym »

Afternoon all,

This is my first post and so let me know if I'm doing something wrong or not putting things where they're supposed to be etc...

Basically.....I'm planning on doing a 10 day Trans-Alp bikepacking trip this July (exact dates yet to be decided and there's some flexibility).

Fully self-supported and picking up food in local shops to be cooked when the evening camp is set-up.

I'm planning on following (roughly) the basic Albrecht route (Garmisch, Germany to Lake Largo, Italy).

I've done loads of touring before, been mountain biking for over 15 years and have even (unknowingly - I thought I'd invented the idea) been bikepacking before (by throwing my DD-Hammock in my Camelbak and spending the night out) but this will be my first long-distance multi-day epic and so I was hoping to get some experience-based-knowledge from your good selves.

What I'm interested in knowing is.....

- Has anyone here done this route before? Or any Trans-Alp route for that matter?

- Is it any good? This Albrecht fella seems to know his stuff and has planned this route to be almost 100% rideable but.....I'm concerned this means that it won't be technical enough - is that true?

- Does anyone know the situation re: wild-camping in the Alps??? I'm not overly concerned if it's not allowed as I'm planning on doing it anyway but it's good to know!

- I was hoping to get away with printed (read: free) map sections with routes marked out instead of forking out for loads of expensive maps - is this idea a bit dumb???

- I've got new kit ideas (as I think a tent/bivi makes more sense than a hammock for when there aren't any trees around) but does anyone have any 'must have' kit suggestions for a trip like this?

Finally, I've been planning on doing this solo but if anyone was interested in joining in then I'd be happy to offer pick-up/drop-off from anywhere in the Lyon, Geneva, Grenoble, Valence region (I British but now live in the Ardeche Mountains - very nice riding!).

Sorry for the huge first post but I'm planning a lot and want to get this trip right.

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance and advice and I look forward to being a part of this forum and getting out there bikepacking.

Cheers, Gairy.
Dan_K

Re: July Trans-Alp Trip

Post by Dan_K »

Welcome!

Wow, sounds like quite a plan. I'm never bikepacked in the Alps (or anywhere yet for that matter!) but have ridden a little bit on holiday in Germany (around Garmisch and the Black Forest) and have always found German maps very accurate and easy to follow and the routes well marked (the MTB routes are used as cross country ski routes in winter).
The germans are big into XC riding so most of the routes i've ridden are on wide gravel tracks/fire road. I came across very little that you would consider technical. I would think that be likely for most long distance Alpine routes.
Maps are easily available at most tourist offices or campsites for a small price (2-3 euros) but I guess you'll probably want to plan your route before you go and highlight it on the relevant maps.
I'm a big fan of GPS and so if I were planning a trip like this, I would use a gps in conjunction with paper maps or at least have it as a fall back option if I got lost so it could give a precise location. I have an old Etrex (Vista HCX) which has full colour mapping (downloaded free from OSM maps) and runs on AA batteries (rechargeable or non).
gairym

Post by gairym »

Dan,

Thanks for that.

I was/am hoping that the whole route can't be too technically easy (just because of the terrain) but I suspect that you're right that it might be a little too double-tracked and not enough single-track - hmmmm, we'll see I suppose!

I afraid I'm waaay too much of a Luddite to ever opt for GPS (I only converted to disc brakes 6 months ago - and that wasn't voluntary!) and so we'll see where my technophobia gets me (I may yet regret my decision).

Cheers, Gairy.
trickyname

Post by trickyname »

Hello,

From what I have read, I believe you can wild camp anywhere (in France anyway) above 2500 metres. I cant remember where I read that, but probably in a guide book.... Above that height, I cant imagine that you would be bothered by anyone anyway, especially if your only there for a night. I know that camping is frowned upon in or near national parks, but again if you're only there for a night then whos to know.

As for the technical-ness (should that be 'technicality') of the route, then its going to be a fine line between hike-a-bike up, and with your gear on your bike, possibly down as well, on some really technical singletrack trails. As I am sure you know, from living in France, if you see squiggles on the map, then you can at least double the amount of switch-backs you will probably encounter. On a loaded, albeit lightly, bike riding really technical stuff can be a nightmare. Its more the seat pack getting in the way of you getting off the back of the bike when it gets a bit knaggery, and the stuff on the handle bars getting in the way of your view of whats coming up.

I can completely understand you wanting the riding to be pretty technical, and not wanting it to be just forest/fire roads, but some of those Alpine passes can be pretty vicious places.... I would try loading up your gear on your bike and trying some technical trails in your local area to see how you fair. I know from experience of riding some of the Wall trail at Afan in South Wales loaded up with a nights gear that it can be interesting to say the least! (Gear moving about on the bike, not being able to see what the front wheels about to hit...)

Try http://www.ocd.org.uk/ and search the passes guide to see if that nutter on a road bike (Fred Wright) has ridden any of the passses you plan to ride....If so then you know they are rideable with 23mm slicks and caliper brakes!

I hope this helps, and I also hope you do a write-up when you've finished!

Happy trails
Andy
gairym

Post by gairym »

trickyname,

thanks for your input.

the trip has evolved a bit since i first wrote that post. i'm now not planning on doing the Albrecht route at all but instead am planning on a more difficult and less traveled route.

there's a german fella who i started chatting to on the bikepacking.net forum who's been kind enough to send me detailed plans of a route he did in 2010 which looks perfect.
trickyname wrote:...its going to be a fine line between hike-a-bike up, and with your gear on your bike, possibly down as well, on some really technical singletrack trails.
for sure - this route most likely have me cursing and sweating as i cary my bike up various insane sections but i'm thinking that i'd rather walk a few bits and earn the rewards of stunning remote descents and uncluttered single-track than play it safe and be able to ride 100% of some tame double-track with a million hikers.

only time will tell if this is a smart idea but it seems more suited to my idea of what i want this trip to be.
trickyname wrote:On a loaded, albeit lightly, bike riding really technical stuff can be a nightmare. Its more the seat pack getting in the way of you getting off the back of the bike when it gets a bit knaggery, and the stuff on the handle bars getting in the way of your view of whats coming up.
at this point i'm thinking about not bothering with the seat-pack at all - when i tested out my new seat-bag i quite hated not being able to just drop-off the back of the seat for the steep stuff.
trickyname wrote:I hope this helps, and I also hope you do a write-up when you've finished!
it always helps to get other perspectives - especially when there's so much to plan and think of.

cheers and i'll certainly be doing some kind of write-up and video when i get back.

gairy.
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

would be very interested in knowing how you do.

alpine self-supported adventures are on the to do list.

Should be vaguely exciting as long as it doesnt get too hot :oops: !!!
gairym

Post by gairym »

slowupslowdown wrote:would be very interested in knowing how you do.
don't you worry - there'll be a write-up, photos and a video (no matter what happens on the trip) and so you'll be able to find out all about it.
slowupslowdown wrote:alpine self-supported adventures are on the to do list.
yeah, the idea's been in my head for years and now i'm finally 4 weeks away from setting off!
slowupslowdown wrote:Should be vaguely exciting as long as it doesnt get too hot !!!
or too cold!

i'm in two minds as to what sleeping bag to take.

i've got a choice of 3:

- snugpak 'traveller' (happy down to about 7 deg) - synthetic/800g.
- vango 'venom 300' (happy down to around zero) - down/850g.
- mountain hardwear 'spectre sl 20' (happy down to -13 or something daft) waterproof-down/1200g.

i know for a fact that if i take either the first of the last the weather will do the opposite and so maybe i'll just take the vango and be done with it???

the problem is that sleeping out at 2500m could one night could be freezing (maybe even snow!) and then the next night i could be sweltering in a valley somewhere lower with southern european heat - i kind of feel like i can't plan for it!

still, if that's the extent of my problems then i'm a happy man indeed.

i'm just putting together a few bits on my blog/site re: the route, kit-list etc... if you fancy taking a look (is a work in progress).

http://simple-lodge.com/biking/big-trip-2012/

i can't wait!!!!!

gairy.