Do you sometimes wish you'd taken a different path?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Do you sometimes wish you'd taken a different path?

Post by JohnClimber »

I so wish I could have chosen this path

http://vimeo.com/97341911

Maybe in my next life
summittoppler

Re: Do you sometimes wish you'd taken a different path?

Post by summittoppler »

Enjoyed that :-bd

I'll keep an eye open for you on the road in the next life John, cos I think thats where I'll be as well.......
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Most days!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Why not this life John?

Good to to see him having a bit of a 'Barter'

(Barter = To have a rant mid ride)
Mike

Post by Mike »

What an amazing path this guy took in life! Sometimes wish I had the balls to do it.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Lovely video and you wonder just how much he left out.

Deserves some sub standard happening to him though. Ice in whisky FFS! ;-)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Excellent vid but the rant is sub-standard with a distinct lack of pointing and toys only being shown the view from the pram rather than full on ejection.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

See that doesn't do that much for me either video or the path he chose. I am sure there are great bits but seeing everything and experiencing everything on your own... Nah you're alright.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Joshvegas wrote:but seeing everything and experiencing everything on your own... Nah you're alright.
He does call himself a Nomad and nomads do tend live on their own or in small groups don't they?

I guess it's hard to find someone with the same interests, abilities, fitness, commitment, time, the ability to be able to live with them and to share these said experiences with them.
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

I get that, just not for me :-)
gairym

Post by gairym »

At the risk of turning this into a philosophical debate.....

I love the romantic notion of a life lived like this but if I really wanted this I'd be doing it and, I suspect, so would you all.

My point is that whilst we all romanticise extreme lifestyles what we really want is the aspects of that lifestyle that our current situations are lacking but not the whole (long spells of loneliness, always being skint, no 'home', lack of security etc...).

I've always shunned the mainstream and spent my life after education travelling, bumming around, never settling down, I've never owned a suit, never borrowed money to buy 'things' and so was 'free' in many ways and was always told by my friends that I was 'living the dream'.

But.....that path involved never being settled, often being alone, not having any of the luxuries others coveted, no job security etc...

Every time one of my 'normal' friends joined me on a silly adventure they soon realised that what they really wanted was their own life with a sniff more adventure - not my life.

Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

Gairy.

P.s. I'd love the solitude!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think what Gairy says is very true. 'Freedom' comes at a price and the reality is, most people aren't willing to pay it when the time comes.

Even just removing ammenities like a shop round the corner, a takeaway 200 yards down the road and WiFi, often sends people into a panic. For many taking away everything including routine and order doesn't make them feel 'free', it makes them feel trapped. Doing it for 2 or 3 weeks is one thing, deciding to spend your life like that is a whole different prospect.
P.s. I'd love the solitude!
Me too :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

That sort of life has no safety net. You are really on your own most of the time, which is great when the going is good, but when the going is bad and you're cold, hungry, thirsty and tired it must suck. It's a fantastic romantic idea but in reality I do like having a home, partner, kids, etc ( it's only the job that sucks in my life).
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

I like solitude lots but not forever. When I am 65 I would rather have friends around me with shared memories and experiences to remind me and to refresh it. Than sitting realising everyone has heard my stories before.

Its not even an age thing gapyear travellers can be the same when they come back with a long list of places they have seen but never stopped long enough to actually appreciate and a huge list of facebook friends they'll never see again.

Of course it suits some people its just doesnt inspire me in the slightest and the video is just a man talking about himself I got about half way then went to fix my bike.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Everyone I get bored of my life and wish i could go and live in the mountains in solitude, I watch 'into the wild' and it makes me appreciate my home comforts. It's a bit like going for a wet overnighter and enjoying the comforts the next day (but done on a couch with the fireplace on!)
barney

Post by barney »

Horses for courses... I prefer my current lifestyle, sure I have the crap job and mortgage but it has enabled me to have a great family (both immediate and distant). I also have hobbies such as riding and bike packing which I use as my escapism from the norm.

There is nothing better (for me personally) then coming home after enjoying a great trip and having a big hug from 2 six year olds and then sleeping in the garden with them. To me that's the best of both worlds :-bd

Probably not what everyone wants but like I said horses for courses.
Wait for me...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Isn't bikepacking ace precisely because the lifestyles we lead are so far from it? The bloke's video just underlines that for me, but if I did what he does full time, I'd escape by putting on a shirt and tie or something.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Agree!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I don't think people make a conscious decision to lead this sort of lifestyle. I think they just go travelling like many others but then just don't stop.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Yep enjoyed that, makes you think about where you are and what you're doing :wink:
Click the link and check out this piece written by Mark Hines it's another one that will
make you scratch your head and think for a while.
A bit deep for a Monday morning :roll:

http://www.markhines.org/
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Son

Post by Son »

Werner Herzog!
Ian

Post by Ian »

JohnClimber wrote: He does call himself a Nomad and nomads do tend live on their own
You're thinking of hermits ;)
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

When the kids were little, we sold up and spent a few months travelling. There was no plan to come back to the UK.

At first it was great. New places, ace people met, and of course good riding.

It was a great experience.

Towards the end of the trip though, we tired with the amount of time wasted doing domestic stuff, like finding launderettes, open shops selling food, and somewhere to stay etc.

I'd do it again for a few months, but would probably plan a much tighter trip.

Which I guess makes me someone who likes long holidays, rather than a nomad. :grin: