A tour of the Lakeland 200

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rob A

A tour of the Lakeland 200

Post by Rob A »

I did this on the 10th - 12th July so a bit late getting a post up!

Having walked or cycled many sections of the route at some point I had a pretty good idea what it involved and hoped it would break down into 2 1/2 good days riding with time to take in the views and have a couple of relaxed evenings with a refreshing ale!

An early start from Leicestershire saw me heading out from Staveley at 06:30 with fantastic weather and stable conditions forecast for the next few days. Easy going early miles got me back into the swing of Lakeland riding with a loaded bike, I knew that this sort of progress would not last.

My target for the day was the 90km to Eskdale but Walna Scar Road had to be tackled first. I got into the rhythm of ride a bit, push a bit, put the steepest sections made me realise that for tomorrows climb over Black Sail Pass I would need to get a bit of weight off the bike and into my backpack.

In terms of kit section I had gone for safety and some comfort with the ability to enjoy the riding. This was far from ideal for the hike-a bike sections but I felt worth it for the rest of the route.

Anyway the top of Walna Scar was reached and this was made all the easier by the good weather and fantastic views.

The next section around Dunnerdale Fells and Harter Fell was new to me and did not disappoint. I have never ridden this area due to wet conditions but this time I think I got lucky. I can only imagine what its like in more normal Lake District conditions.

After 9 1/2 hours I got to Eskdale Campsite. Not a wild camp but a chance to relax and have a couple of pints in one of my favourite areas in the Lakes.

The next day was going to be the tough one. It was already hot at 06:30 as I climbed towards Burnmoor Tarn with not a breath of wind (was I really in the Lake District?)

Black Sail Pass was the challenge I thought, and then some. With the bike still too heavy to carry far over steep sections I resorted to lifting only the back wheel and trying to steer the front wheel over/ around larger rocks. How do other people tackle this, other than a lot lighter set up?

The pay back for a long push up is ......... having to push large sections of descent. Black Sail and Scarth Gap both provided this unique pleasure and the chance for walkers to question my route choice. "Not my route" I told them, but I was still the fool following it.

A mantra of "ice cold Coke" helped me sweat my way to the top of Honister Pass. No one had informed the café about this and I had to make do with apple juice. Still I knew the hardest part of the day was done.

Further refreshment at Keswick and Threlkeld saw me through to the campsite at Cove near Matterdale where I decided to finish for the day.

The third day had some high cloud and a light breeze that was welcome after the previous day (though I'm not complaining) The long steady climb to Boredale Hause give me chance to take in more views

Knowing what a section is like as a descent does not put you in a good position to assess it as a climb! Hartsop to High Street reminded me of this! "I'd like to know what you do for fun" an Australian coast to coast walker asked. Thornthwaite Beacon was reached and the end really was in sight.

Tired legs really were complaining on the final big challenge of Garburn pass. When an approaching walker said "Oh, here comes a nice man selling ice creams!" any thoughts of carrying on riding came to an abrupt end!

The descent of Garburn Pass and the section to Sawmill Cottage are a fantastic end to a fantastic route. I have massive respect to anyone who does this route to set a time, or takes it on in anything less than the perfect conditions I experienced.

After my trip I had a think about how I could of lightened my kit. I know a lighter sleeping bag would make a big difference but took the only one I have. In terms of clothing I wore shorts and short sleeve jersey all 3 days but had with me waterproof, windproof, sleeves, spare base layer, ron hills, down jacket. Despite the weather forecast I'm not sure I would be happy leaving any of this at home knowing what a change in the weather can be like - what do other people think?

Thanks for reading - sorry if it went on a bit.
Richpips

Re: A tour of the Lakeland 200

Post by Richpips »

Good write up.

I think the key to a fast time over this route (other than being a fast rider), is to take the absolute minimum with.

Next time I do it I'll not take sleeping stuff, and would consider takig a rucksack with waterproofs and food, so that the bike has nothing on it.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Nice write up and good to know mortals can make in round in a long weekend.
How do other people tackle this, other than a lot lighter set up?
Think the consensus is that if theres a lot of hike a bike, then its better to carry the weight on your back rather than the bike, to make any carrying easier.
Despite the weather forecast I'm not sure I would be happy leaving any of this at home knowing what a change in the weather can be like - what do other people think?
Down to experience and personal preference really.
If you know and trust that the forecast is going to be good then i'd leave a lot of the 'in case' stuff at home.
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

Hi, well done on getting round. There is a very large drop out rate on this route. I'm one of those on my first attempt. I ran out of time having packed for all eventualities which resulted in the bike feeling very heavy to lift over the boulders on black sail.

There are a lot of comfy ish places to kip so unless weather turns really nasty a slim bag and bivi could be fine. Getting over Black sail before bedtime would be a good motivational and there are some woods before you get to the YHA that supply shelter. You would also likely hit Keswick in time for all-day-breakfast-roll.

I would concur that success for a fast time requires the bare minimum. Enough to keep you alive rather than comfortable is the way together with careful fuel stops. I'd also recommend starting in dark as the first couple of hours are technically easy. For me in August this would have meant Black Sail in some kind of day light.

For me, so much carrying put a downer on the route. Which means I'll have to return so that I don't have to ride it again (if you see what I mean).
Ian

Post by Ian »

Note that the route can be started anywhere on the loop. Chris Hope's record started in Keswick, and speaking to Alan, this seems like a good place to start it. You get some easy-ish miles out of the way early, and the big hike over High Street, but Blacksail (and others come at the end). However, it is also more difficult to bail later on in the route, as the the most direct way back is to follow the route!

On travelling light - if you move faster, you are exposed to changes in conditions for a shorter duration. If you're going to take two-three days to do it (which is fine :-bd ), then it would wise to pack for a greater magnitude of change in conditions.
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

Ian wrote:Note that the route can be started anywhere on the loop. Chris Hope's record started in Keswick, and speaking to Alan, this seems like a good place to start it. You get some easy-ish miles out of the way early, and the big hike over High Street, but Blacksail (and others come at the end). However, it is also more difficult to bail later on in the route, as the the most direct way back is to follow the route!

On travelling light - if you move faster, you are exposed to changes in conditions for a shorter duration. If you're going to take two-three days to do it (which is fine :-bd ), then it would wise to pack for a greater magnitude of change in conditions.

I didn't know about the option of starting anywhere. That would make a very big difference. Clearly if you are just enjoying the route then fine and I would certainly have a change of start. However I assumed if you were going for an 'official' time you would have to follow the Stavely start else you have a different set of conditions. If you are in a position to choose there is plenty to consider. I'm not sure whether the horrible carry sections would be best when knackered (not much fun at the best of times). My initial thought would be to do easy pedalling at the end. I thought the first quarter was easiest so would plumb for ending with it.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I assumed if you were going for an 'official' time you would have to follow the Stavely start else you have a different set of conditions
Do you think? Sames distance overall, same amount of climbing. I would have thought there is less of a difference than you would get from, say, doing the route in September than June (less daylight), or just after a very prolonged dry spell vs "normal" lakes conditions.
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

If you think about it, if there is no difference then there wouldn't be a discussion to be had. That is to say there is a benefit to starting at certain points to gain performance benefits of being at certain places at certain parts of your 200km. Agree you can go to the nth degree with pointing out differences. Weather would be a bigger difference by a long way. So there shouldn't be categories and sub categories....

However, if your purpose is to challenge against a set route/time (i.e. virtually compare to other riders) then I'd say it is best to attempt to keep as many variables the same as those setting other times. If you were going for a multi day adventure then I'd certainly say choose your optimum start point and make the route suit you.
Rob A

Post by Rob A »

Cheers for the feedback.

I had sort of guessed the only answer to an easier time up Black Sail would be getting weight off the bike. I could of took less clothing but for some reason never trust a Lake District weather forecast that says its good and staying that way!

Where to start is an interesting one and not something I had considered. Getting the Black Sail, Scarth Gap, Honister triple whammy out the way early would appeal to me.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think that if there's any benefit to be had from starting at a specific point (with regatd to ITT) then that point will soon become the standard ... or maybe it wont ... on the TCW there'd usually be an advantage in riding W - E but nearly everyone goes the other way :wink:

No help at all - sorry.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hmmm, having read all the above I think I'm going to have to ride this now. I'm off for four days tomorrow so may head up to the lakes. I'll probably dump car at ambleside and start from there. The weather is looking crap so Im guessing its going to be hard going. Ill use it as a training ride for the bb200, I like a good hikerbike and its also good leg conditioning :0)
atk

Post by atk »

Looks like conditions were much better than when I went a week later. Think it rained the Monday and then pissed down on the Wednesday while we were heading from Staveley to Coniston. Dried up before a push/ride/push/ride/sit/push up Walna Scar and then very boggy in places after that (thankfully the sun popped out!). Really enjoyed the bits of the route we did ride (bailed at Keswick and rode to Penrith instead).

I'd definitely avoid at least one of the Black Sail/Scarth Gap/Honnister trio if I went again with anything other than the bare essentials.

Interesting comments about putting weight on your back for the off-bike sections, hadn't thought of trying that...
Ian

Post by Ian »

greenmug wrote:However, if your purpose is to challenge against a set route/time (i.e. virtually compare to other riders) then I'd say it is best to attempt to keep as many variables the same as those setting other times. If you were going for a multi day adventure then I'd certainly say choose your optimum start point and make the route suit you.
This is a good point.
s8tannorm wrote:I think that if there's any benefit to be had from starting at a specific point (with regatd to ITT) then that point will soon become the standard ...
As is this.

Given that the current fastest time starts in Keswick (which is near where Chris Hope lives, so I understand), it is reasonably likely this will be where I start.