Alternative Fork for Kaffenback 2

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zoglug

Alternative Fork for Kaffenback 2

Post by Zoglug »

Hey everyone,

Although not specifically mountain bikes :grin: im hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. :-bd

I'm looking to put together a steel touring bike as cheap as possible for some coast to coast rides and possibly LEJOG next year. On ebay Planet X have a medium Kaffenback 2 frame listed rather cheaply, the only downside being it does not come with a fork :sad: I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for an alternative fork which would work with the frame. Thankfully, the frame is in black as i wouldn't want to get it resprayed and needs to take discs as i would like to use BB7's of the likes but i'm really struggling to find something.

If not, it looks like i could in the second hand market for a frame and fork!
Gari

Re: Alternative Fork for Kaffenback 2

Post by Gari »

OnOne have some Tektro cable discs for £20 an end on their site, I was thinking of getting some for the Roadrat, they have matching drop levers too, RL520s is what I got. Otherwise levers are pretty easy to get on ebay etc, just make sure they have enough pull for the callipers.
If you check the spec on planets or onone's site it should give you a fork length, I have some Salsa moto29er forks for another build, not that I am suggesting them for this bike, more that I am very happy with the quality etc and they have various sizes; getting a set that would work should be fairly straightforward. Also Surly have forks of various sizes for the likes of the Troll etc.

I assume that you are using drops, if so bear in mind that the frame will need to be a little shorter than your MTB for the given size. (apologies if I am stating the obvious)
chris n

Post by chris n »

The Kaffenback fork is 400mm long - any CX disc fork would work as long as it's a similar length - Salsa, Kinesis, etc.
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Cheers guys!

Looking at it, i can get the Kaffenback frame for £99, but it is in the coffee colour rather than the matt black :cry: . Once i price in a new steel fork, then a trip to the powder coaters means im looking towards £250 which is the same price as buying the f&f from Planet X! Then i start thinking a little more could get me a Straggler or a Croix De Fer
Gari

Post by Gari »

And so it begins :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Or for £760 less.....

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 27&alt=web

Brown with black forks will look fine.
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Gari wrote:And so it begins :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Its always the way! What starts out as being a cheap as chips build begins to escalate out of control very, very quickly!
That bike looks very nice indeed! Cant seem to find a launch date for it though.....plus it starts to creep into the 'going to struggle to get it past the missus' price!
johnnystorm wrote:Or for £760 less.....

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 27&alt=web

Brown with black forks will look fine.
Now that could be an option!