PHD Pied D'Elephant

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

PHD Pied D'Elephant

Post by Ian »

PHD are bringing half-bags back: http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/sleepingbags.php?cat=154

For that fast/ light/ racing brigade, these look ace. 165g for a (half) bag :shock:

So, a Wafer half bag (165g) and a Wafer jacket (190g) = 355g, which is the same as my Ultra Minim.

However, I'd be saving 150g as the jacket would substitute my Ultra minim vest.

But will a half-bag/ jacket be any warmer because it's a bit closer fitting?
Zippy

Re: PHD Pied D'Elephant

Post by Zippy »

I might have accidentally ordered a PHD wafer sleeping bag a week ago :geek: 260g, comfort temp 8 degrees C.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've been looking at the Cumulus summer bags. Seem to be similar spec but a bit cheaper. Anyone used them?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I’ve got a X-lite 200 and my girlfriend a LiteLine 300.
Good bags. You get a lot for what you pay. Rab’s Infinity 300 (Girlfriend’s got the 500, so this gives me a good idea how the Infinity serie performs is) may get 2-3 °C more out of the same weight than a LiteLine 300, due to the better layout of the chambers.

When you go down to the UL bags, compared to the Minimus (friend has a 400) from PHD I’d say the very lightest (Magic and X-Lite series) of Cumulus are on par.

And why not try quilts? Or even half a quilt? Cumulus seems to be open for such ideas and has proven to produce individual bag as well.

Many may wonder how Cumulus compares to Alpkit. Here again. Get slightly more with Cumulus for what you pay.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I would have guessed a jacket to be warmer as your arms have to warm themselves, rather than being able to bring them towards your chest/body?

I like the idea of taking off the bottom half when you get up and leaving the top half on for a bit (and similar for the evening)
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Dan_K wrote:I've been looking at the Cumulus summer bags. Seem to be similar spec but a bit cheaper. Anyone used them?
Not used the summer bags, but I've got a Cumulus Quantum 350 which is my new bag of choice. Far too warm for general summer use (comfort -6) but it's only 700g and good for year round with a warm jacket. Well made, although the hood seems a little light on down.
Backcountrybiking

Post by Backcountrybiking »

The cumulus quantaum 200 islighter still and more summer friendly,
we sell them too ;)

Andy
http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

I'm trying to find out from PHD how long these half bags are as I usually take a long sleeping bag, so I don't want these to come up just to my knees! No response yet from them

The Hispar half bag with my Rab down looks like a cracking combo for less than 750g combined.

Either that or a Enlightenment 30f Engima which is 500g (very light seeing it has over 300g of down!) plus the down jacket that I'd carry anyway. That works out at £170 posted from the USA but could get hit for a big chunk in customs fees...

Choices
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Had a good look at the Cumulus site last night and I think i'm going to opt for another quilt from Enlightened although I can afford to wait and see if anything better pops up in the meantime...
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Dan - what was the customs hit on your last enlightenment quilt?

Is there any pattern to his blowout sales? Presuming it will be Black Friday at Christmas but wonder if he does one on the summer.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

polarcherry wrote:Dan - what was the customs hit on your last enlightenment quilt?

Is there any pattern to his blowout sales? Presuming it will be Black Friday at Christmas but wonder if he does one on the summer.
I don't think I was charged customs in the end as it was marked as a $15 value, but that was back in Nov 2012 and i'm not sure if Tim's changed the way they do things now to avoid the risk. Enlightened were a smaller company back then.
With the exchange rate, I paid £167 inc delivery for a full on, overstuffed winter quilt, that i've used in below freezing temps. I'd email him to see what his policy now is as with duty, it could be better looking at an EU supplier like Cumulus.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

polarcherry wrote:I'm trying to find out from PHD how long these half bags are as I usually take a long sleeping bag, so I don't want these to come up just to my knees! No response yet from them
I'd like to know too because I'm so small it might do me as a full bag. Couldn't be doing with half a bag unless I had nothing at all. I like to rub my face with the down and keep my handy pandies warm. My wee fingers would freeze.
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Just got this back from PHD
The half bags measure 112cm in length at the front, and 133cm at the back.
Def. a true half bag rather than some I've seen that are chest length. Need to measure tonight against my current sleeping bag, but might be a little short for my 6ft 1 frame. Might be an order to Enlightenment Quilts instead......
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While the concept of a half bag makes sense, I do wonder whether a more practical solution would be down jacket +

May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Dan_K wrote:I've been looking at the Cumulus summer bags. Seem to be similar spec but a bit cheaper. Anyone used them?
I'vegot a Cumulus 250 quilt which was a 'bargain' I mainly use it over a bag in colder conditions. works well as he quilt is strapped to the mat and the bag moves with you while the quilt stays still.

I'd say that Cumulus are excellent value for money, but ultimately not quite as good as PHD bags (i have two of them too!) the down is not quite as lofty and more of it seems to make its way through the fabric. But they are very thought out and well stitched. i know a coule of ther folks who've got summer (ish) bags from them so have seen a bit of the range.

I'd be happy to buy another bag of theirs if i needed one. PHD make the very, very best but Cumulus is certainly more than good enough.
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Anybody bought one yet?

Received it too?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Anybody seen this sleeping system from OMM:

https://www.theomm.com/product/mountain-raid-pa-1-0/

The use of Primaloft Gold sounds like a good idea for multi-day trips in typical British conditions, although probably insufficient for winter unless you are spooning-up with your race buddy in a 1 man tent, as is the way of mountain marathons...

Thoughts?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't really see why you'd spend £125 on a bag that comes to your waist. Something like a Cumulus 150 quilt will be much warmer, not much heavier and being down should (with care) last much longer ... oh and not much more expensive.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pretty much with you Stu.