HTR550 2015 Grand Depart.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

HTR550 2015 Grand Depart.

Post by Richpips »

Just in from Alan.
Unlike this year, the HT550 group start in 2015 is not going to be a first come, first served basis. There will be qualifying routes which you will have need to have done at least one of, the first of which will be the HT550 itself (an ITT will count if you have proof). Finishers from the last two years will have a guaranteed place. Other routes will be the CTR, AZTR or similar events overseas. Cairngorms Loop and Lakeland 200 will also be on the list.
Zippy

Re: HTR550 2015 Grand Depart.

Post by Zippy »

BB200 I hope...
composite

Post by composite »

Hmmm, that's kind of disappointing actually. I had it down to do next year but I very much doubt I would have already done those other routes.

Especially annoying as I "could" have done it this year but I wanted another year of bivi craft to fall back on so didn't enter...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

BB200 I hope...
I've no idea whether it will or it won't. The possible issue I see is that a sub 24h on the BB 200 although pretty tough doesn't constitute a multi-day event.

EDIT: I'd just like to say that although the new 'ruling' may mean some riders who are more than capable can't join the grand depart, on the whole I feel it's a good move. Given the amount of interest the HT has generated both this year and last and the nature of the route, having a way of discouraging those who may have confused their intentions with their abilities could well be a good thing for all ... saying that I imagine it means I won't be lining up next year either.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

s8tannorm wrote:
BB200 I hope...
I've no idea whether it will or it won't. The possible issue I see is that a sub 24h on the BB 200 although pretty tough doesn't constitute a multi-day event.
By that token, neither does Cairngorms loop.
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote:
BB200 I hope...
According to selfsupported.net the 2 fastest times for the lakeland200 are 16 hours 45 minutes and 21hours 57mins which doesn't constitute a multi-day event either. :|

Edit: Desperately trying to go through the calender to see if I can squeeze in the lakeland200 early September or late October.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Like I say, I've no idea whether the BB 200 will be on the list or not. I'd like to think it might be but that's a decision for Alan.

From reading Rich's quote I'm assuming that a prior unsuccessful HT doesn't count? I imagine that could see quite a few of this years riders who scratched due to mechnical or injury not being in Tyndrum next May?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I do know that there was an initial start list this year of 60+ riders.

Alan emailed us a couple of times to make sure we were going to line up, as he had others who wanted to ride also.

The qualifiers seem a reasonable way of making sure that those who start have a good chance of finishing.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

In fairness, I've every intention of having the Cairngorm loop under my belt prior to doing HT550. I've also done WHW back when I was a bit more clueless too, so I don't see this as being any issue in reality. It's the grand depart after all, the route is still open to all :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm sure Alan has good reason for adding this caveat. Perhaps to ensure those signing up are aware of what they are getting into and are aware of what it takes to look after themselves out there. Perhaps to reduce the numbers of people signing up with intentions of touring the route and not racing, only to drop out before or when realizing that it's not what they expected (the route is there for the riding at any time after all)
Thats just speculation anyway.

One thing I will say is that Alan is a thoroughly nice chap and I believe sensible enough to judge for himself what constitutes the level of experience he is trying to ensure people have.
Maybe even if the BB dosnt make the list, a good finish on there, plus being able to demonstrate that you have the experience to race ITT style (or even fast tour) and look after yourself (Like Trans Cambrian, Peak ITT, Scottish C2C off Road) would maybe satisfy the requirements even if you haven't done any of the specific ITT's listed.
Thats just speculation too of course.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

the route is still open to all
Very true ... although 'being part' of the grand depart is something people want, the reality is that the route (like many others) were set up as an ITT route to be ridden at any time. It's a shame more people don't choose to take the opportunity really.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Very true ... although 'being part' of the grand depart is something people want, the reality is that the route (like many others) were set up as an ITT route to be ridden at any time. It's a shame more people don't choose to take the opportunity really.
There have been two who have completed the 550 as an ITT that I've heard of.

I also met a couple of chaps at the top of Devil's Staircase who were embarking on the 440. At Mayhem last week, I met one of them who said they didn't get round as his mate had got very ill and they had to abandon.
Ian

Post by Ian »

s8tannorm wrote:Like I say, I've no idea whether the BB 200 will be on the list or not. I'd like to think it might be but that's a decision for Alan.

From reading Rich's quote I'm assuming that a prior unsuccessful HT doesn't count? I imagine that could see quite a few of this years riders who scratched due to mechnical or injury not being in Tyndrum next May?
"Finishers from the last two years", so any 440 finishers can race too.

The justification of the Lakeland 200 being a qualifier is made on the severity of the terrain and amount of hike-a-bike.

The BB200 possibly isn't included as it doesn't have enough hike-a-bike (you read that right ;) ), and it's an organised event which you pay to enter
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

How much hike a bike in the HTR550? I feel this will be my un-doing for this sort of stuff.... nearly was on the BB200. Completely mentally destroyed me on the WHW too - especially as I had no idea about it :roll:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

How much hike a bike in the HTR550?
Loads.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Zippy wrote:How much hike a bike in the HTR550? I feel this will be my un-doing for this sort of stuff.... nearly was on the BB200
Some sections of hike-a-bike are measurable in miles. The importance of being able to cope mentally and physically with these bits shouldn't be underestimated. If you read the race reports everyone reports how these difficult sections affected them.

Which is why the Lakeland Loop or Cairngorms Loop are qualifiers. It's not so much if you can do them, you're more likely to finish the HTR, but that you'll know better what to expect and judge whether you can repeat it for several consecutive days.
composite

Post by composite »

Zippy wrote:How much hike a bike in the HTR550? I feel this will be my un-doing for this sort of stuff.... nearly was on the BB200. Completely mentally destroyed me on the WHW too - especially as I had no idea about it :roll:
I realised doing the WC2C earlier in the year that hike-a-bike is the low point of my game. I started running this week to try to improve that.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I bumped into Steve Heading at Oykel Bridge, he told me this stretch took him 4 hours, it took me a similar amount of time.

10 miles.

FLV

Post by FLV »

Zippy wrote:How much hike a bike in the HTR550? I feel this will be my un-doing for this sort of stuff.... nearly was on the BB200. Completely mentally destroyed me on the WHW too - especially as I had no idea about it :roll:
First disclaimer is I havnt done the northern loop.

The 440 last year held hours upon hours of hike a bike. I thought I loved a good bit of hike a bike but I wasnt prepared for just how long some sections would take me once I was tired. I was constantly surprised, often dismayed how long it was taking me to cover the H-a-B parts.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm just back from doing half of the route in 3 days. Had to bale out with major arse issues after a complete battering. I think the decision is sound as you cannot know how big an ask the distance and terrain is within the time period. Write up to follow soon
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I think this is broadly a good thing.

I came into the HTR430 with no experience at all, just a mix of MTB and road riding, a WHW and a LeJog, and quit on the morning of day 3 - I really wasn't ready and gave up too easily. I went out and did a Cairngorms Loop ITT that July to prove to myself I could at least do one event in 2013, did a hell of a lot of riding after that, then did the mass start early May of this year, and I was firmly in the mindset of completing the HTR550, which I did.

In 2013 I bit off far more than I could chew, and needed to get experience on another event before going back for another attempt. With hindsight I was far too naive in how difficult the ride was going to be, my feed strategy, and the amount of kit you don't need to carry.

With regards to the multi-day event versus BB200 - if you can ride the Cairngorms Loop or Lakeland 200 sub-24, it stands to reason that you're already a pretty competent and incredibly fit rider (and bike pusher!), able to understand how to keep well-fuelled for the full race duration.

Speaking of which - anyone fancy an ITT of the Cairngorms Loop on the 19th July?
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

It's the same as a number of other endurance events such as RAAM (Race Across America) or PBP (Paris-Brest-Paris 1200km audax). I think PBP introduced qualifying rides in the 70's after a large percentage of (mainly USA?) starters failed to finish. Even now, the drop-out rate is around 15 - 30% of starters, mainly dependent on weather conditions. This year is the first time I was aware of events such as the HTR550, and I noted (but wasn't completely surprised by) the high drop-out rate. It must be difficult to prepare for this sort of event.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Had to bale out with major arse issues after a complete battering
Several members of the Tory Cabinet have had similar!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Even now, the drop-out rate is around 15 - 30% of starters, mainly dependent on weather conditions.
I think the HTR, if the weather was bad would be a very interesting proposition.
slarge

Post by slarge »

This year only 12 of the 62 people who signed up actually finished the HTR. That's quite a dropout rate in anyone's eyes - I know quite a few of the non-starters are more than capable of finishing the HTR, but at some point Alan has to protect himself from accusations of "without due care". An entry qualification of a previous ITT is a good way of doing this.
I hope the qualifying list is a bit flexible though as I would like to do the PBW double as mine.

Does this mean the HTR is going to get even more competitive (and faster) next year? :shock: