How not to ride an Adventure race

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

How not to ride an Adventure race

Post by fatbikephil »

So the HT560 is coming to an end and I'm sorry to report I binned it after day 2. Mucho pissedoffo as I'd trained my baws of all winter and thought I was well capable of knocking it off. My failure was for a number of reasons but the following sumarises my learning points from this sorry debacle, just in case anybody else is fancying this madness next year....

1. Training. If your gonna race, you gotta train. I've knocked f*** out of myself since last November, starting from a pretty reasonable level. However training advice for a race involving 5/6 12-15 hour days over totally hardcore terrain is thin on the ground. the advice I found was mainly aimed at club stage racers. Still 5-7 hour rides on road and mountainbike at full gas should hone my endurance and stamina to a level plenty capable of the aforementioned? Yes and no. The problem I had was that the 'easy' pace I rode off at on day 1 wasn't easy enough. Overtaking the entire field should have been a clue.... Also I did tons of hill climbing but this just meant I stomped up the first 5 climbs of the route far too fast, whilst thinking I was cruising. Plus by the Sunday lunchtime my carefully toned quads just ended up being so much dead weight... See point 2. What I missed was lots of long 12-15 hour rides to learn a good easy pace that would last the distance.

2. Pace. Don't overtake the whole field on the first climb, including all of the race favourites. Even if I was capable of maintaining this pace for the whole event (ha!) its still a bad idea. In my defense my pace felt like a nice steady tempo which I would use on every climb and I didn't know who anybody was so didn't know I'd blasted past Phil Simcock on the climb out of Loch tulla until we got to Fort Augustus (98 miles in 10 hours) and he told me I'd lead the race for 40 miles. Gulp..... If I'd stopped for some proper food (see point 3) at KLL it would have made all the difference. In any event backing off would have meant I'd have finished in 6 days rather than binned after 2

3. Food. You don't need to carry 4 days of food in Scotland. There will always be a shop open, or a pub / hotel or something. I was paranoid about missing open shops on the northern loop, hence the 4 days of grub. If it looks like your gonna miss something you alter your pace so you don't. I reckon 1 full days food, some extra odds and ends and maybe emergency rations (gels) for say 1 more day which you top up if you use them. Also a constant diet of cereal bars, porridge oat bars, chocolate and horrible fecking gels don't work for more than 5 hours. I had a constant upset stomach from about Saturday lunchtime onwards until I got some decent scran in Contin which made me feel immediately better. For next year(HA!!!) I'm going to really look into what food to take and eat.

4. Gear. I got this spot on. Fook bivvy bags and race kit, this is Scotland. I had all the right kit for surviving the miserable drookit day Sunday turned into (15 hours of rain, 130 miles) and was able to don full waterproofs and gaitors to keep me dry and to keep the resulting mud and filth out of my kit. Plus having a tent meant I could have got out of the rain and midges and still operated well the next day, had I not blown my legs up on day 1. On my feet I had goretex boots, seal skin socks and merino wool inner socks. Despite numerous dunkings on the flooded track over to Contin past Orrin Res my feet were warm and dry

5. Bike. Anything goes as long as your comfortable on it. It doesn't have to be bling as long as it all works. Its going to be totally wrecked by the end so don't worry about renewing everything before the race. My Kramp was nigh on perfect despite weighing in at 30lbs less kit. Where I went wrong was several changes to grips / bar ends etc. prior to the day. I should have spent much more time on this over long distances and probably just stuck with my extra thick super star grips. Instead I ended up with a pair of ergo grips which were utterly horrible. After day one they felt like 2 ill shaped blocks of wood and my hands were in agony. My left pinky is still numb. One thing I didn't have with me was spare brake pads. After I'd bailed and got back home I discovered the horrible noises coming from my front brake were due to the pads being down to the metal, despite being only a quarter worn before the start. 130 miles of gritty water will do that..

6. Attitude. However good you think you might be, its always worth taking it canny on your first race so you can prove how good you are (or not as the case may be). If things are going well you can always up the pace later on - you have 5-7 days to do this.... That said I'm glad I quit when I did as if I'd have pushed on I would have had a truly miserable experience which might have seriously affected my desire to try this again or in fact go anywhere near a bike again.

7. Planning. I thought I'd planned this thing to death but I got it completely wrong and in such a totally obvious way - I underestimated how long it would take (durr!) sections I thought would be easy - Strathglass to Contin being the worst case of this - took ages and knackered me mentally and physically as a result. I think you should work out a schedule then add a day to it as with point 6, if things go well you can up the pace later on in the race.

8. Why? Dunno really - I was looking for a challenge and this fitted the bill. Plus I would bag a large number of trails that have been on my to do list for several years. I like the low key organisation and the whole informal format. My plan was to do it once only and then look to other things but having failed dismally I'm very likely to try again next year as what I learned in the 210 miles of the route I did should immediately mean I'm better prepared already. We'll see, what I'm really looking forward to this summer is just doing some normal bikepacking and touring where I set my own route, pace and schedule with no need to stick to anything prescribed. I fully intend to do the northern bit and the Fisherfield and torridon sections this summer, midges or not.

9. Etiquette. Work out what the favourites look like before the race and don't burn past them on the first climb....

This was taken in ullapool on Monday morning after I'd jacked it. A minute later, eventual winner Phil Simcock rolled into town having done the whole northern loop in less than a day. His eventual finish time was 4 days, 1 hr 45mins. Bloody hell....
Ian

Re: How not to ride an Adventure race

Post by Ian »

Ah, that was you who hooned past us just after Bridge of Orchy ;)

I remember glancing down at my GPS to check that I wasn't going too slowly...

You've prepared a good analysis though, and you probably already know you've learnt more from not finishing than you would if you'd made it back to Tyndrum. Even for this HTR "veteran" (whatever that implies) I learnt things in this race from not finishing. You certainly can't take finishing for granted - far too much can happen in that kind of race to upset even the most prepared.
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

That’s a great bit of writing!

I’ve not yet ridden anything like the HT560, but I’ve done a few audaxes (long road rides). However, I don’t consider myself a ‘real audaxer’, and because of limited time I’m not one of those riders who can put the miles in, so tend to try and ‘wing’ any event I ride. I’ve ‘failed’ a few times. In fact, on more than one occasion I’ve made it to the event, but come the morning of the ride been unable to roll out of my sleeping bag! As I’m not competitive I’ve never let it worry me, and can look back and laugh at all the misery I’ve suffered! I think it just takes time to learn from experiences, and to build up a knowledgebase of what works for you.

I’ve found that, assuming you’re comfy on the bike, the main things to get right are eating, and the ‘mental state’! It’s very easy to think negatively about everything when you’re tired and wet etc. It’s a bit of a cliché, but thinking only of the next short section and along the lines of, “It’s only 10 miles to a food stop at Kinlochleven, and I normally ride double that distance on a Saturday before breakfast” is more positive than, “I’ve still got 500 miles to go, and that’s like driving from here to wherever and back again!”

The old-hands have the experience to know that even if they feel like packing (scratching?) at some point, they’ll always ride through a bad spell.

I now know that, for me, any long ride is going to be pretty grim, and I’m prepared for that, and can generally keep going. I sometimes remind myself, “This is pretty bad, but not as bad as the time when…”

Unless you find some ‘energy’ food which agrees with you, real food seems to be better on longer rides. I know everyone advises to experiment on training rides, and never on a race, but my training rides are never anywhere near as long as a ‘race’ so I’ve had to learn on-the-job. On my first long ride I drank High-5 as prescribed, and after a few hours felt decidedly squeamish. By late evening I nearly blew down the walls of the Crask Inn whilst performing an impromptu trombone solo.

I know you’re probably disappointed not to have kept going for the full six days, but 210 miles is still an awfully long way to ride a bike off-road. Also, you’re now much better equipped for your next attempt!
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Hat off to the OP for a superb and honest write up :wink:
gairym

Post by gairym »

This is really useful - has given me loads of tips about how to write my "how not to ride the HT560" at a future date - thanks!
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Super honest piece of writing. A modern day Hare and Tortoise tale.
Congratulations on giving it a bash and may it be better next time.
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

I love my Ergon grips but it takes a few rides and some tiny adjustments to get a comfortable position and looking at your photo they need rotating down a good few degrees
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Mpolo wrote:looking at your photo they need rotating down a good few degrees
Thats what I thought.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thanks for the comments folks looks like next years race is in the calendar! Except it'll probably be the HT700 if Alan Goldsmith continues his development of this route.... Had a spin round the local woods yesterday and the legs appear to be functioning again
RobMac wrote:
Mpolo wrote:looking at your photo they need rotating down a good few degrees
Thats what I thought.
Hmm interesting and that makes sense as I'd already rotated them down a fair bit from my initial installation which i thought would make them spot on.... I will give them another try
Gari

Post by Gari »

On my Pugs I just nipped the clamp so they would move with a little more pressure than just riding, as it were, then would drop/lift and ride until I found them comfortable. Mine are more or less horizontal with a fairly relaxed riding position, and small hands :oops: Once I was happy I tightened 'em down.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find that I'm much better setting bars, grips 'n stuff with my eyes shut ... I end up with them feeling right rather than what my brain thinks looks right.
May the bridges you burn light your way
kbrembo

Post by kbrembo »

I probably put this in wrong thread earlier but here was my take..

Wow...what a trip!

Nice to meet lots of you and HTRIDER you nailed past me on climb out of Orchy :o

Well done to all whom entered.

I think the one thing that will echo amongst all riders is the extremity of the terrain and the harshness of the relentless hike a bike and huge climbs.

My plan was none. I basically sat at a pace that I liked and churned that out...i was overtaken lots of times but hey ho let them go....I made my ground by cycling long and steady. On my last day I left Morvich at 5am and didnt stop till I crossed the line in Tyndrum at 0330am next day!

Its amazing what the body can do when you free your mind!

The tough sections were extreme but they were always going to finish, I had an Cuban Fibre Terra Nova tent and the 3-4 hours spent sleeping per night were my goal for each night...it felt like the Hilton in my wee tent in a warm sleeping bag listening to tunes. To be honest it was a real pleasure at the end of a hard day
I was going to stay in Carnmore bothy in fisherfield, where I woke Alan Goldsmith up...sorry Alan..but soon as I had a look round I bailed into the tent..... Dave dropped into the bothy an hour later but the roof was loose and was like a machine gun going off all night!

I crashed in the bothy at the bottom of Morvich and Dave also dropped in there about 1hr later after we had a nic meal and pint in Dornie!
Myself,Dave and Alan crossed paths through the whole trip....it was always good to have a quick bit of banter along the route.

I just ate what I could where I could but always "real food"...I missed a couple of shops by 2 mins! The pie shop in Lochinver was the highlight..OMG

From day 2 on, my mind was clear and nothing was going to stop me finishing, which I did and got 7th place

My bike, a rigid salsa elmariachi was perfect with a 3" knard up front,Flow Ex, 2x10 slx and deore brakes....zero mechanicals

I had a laminated card...you will laugh but it was from Yoda...star wars Yoda Roll Eyes

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."

My toughest challange was my Mavic boots...I had used them for a few months and likd them....from day 2 the problems started...day 3 ...disaster...the sole came away on both shoes but real bad on the right...I had to cable tie it together...the hassle it caused while hikeing or disingaging was immense. Eventually it pulled all the tendons on my foot...but I was not stopping!

Kit wise.. De-feet woolie boolies...Outstanding
Montane UltraSmock... Outstanding
Devolt Merino Top .... Outstanding
Moa Bib Shorts ...Very Good
Mavic Alpine XL ... Outstandingly Bad....worst kit let down ever
Terra Nova Ultra Cuban Fibre Tent....Superb
OMM Raid 1 sleeping bag... Very Good
Neolite...very good
Exposure Joystick....Brilliant
Endura Slipstream..Brilliant
Planetx Gloves.. Surprisingy Good
Revelate Gear..Outstanding
Alpkit Drybags...Very Good

So anyhow.....the HT was a Journey that took us to some amazing places,meeting amazing people and finding out where your mind and body can go. Incredible

Calzzak

Post by Calzzak »

Some very good points! There is definitely a lot to be learnt during the ride that can't be learnt by reading about it. A couple of things I don't quite agree on:
Food. 4 days is probably overkill but at all points in the race I was carrying as much food as I could. It often turned out to last a lot less time than I expected. Real food or simply savoury food is definitely required to balance out the amount of sugary stuff.
Gear. I don't think a tent is a weight worth carrying. Extra comforts will often slow you down during a race as well. I had nothing but sleeping bag and bivvy bag for sleep. Very impressed you managed to keep dry feet though. I didn't even get close.
And Bike, definitely don't change anything close to the race, especially to do with hand comfort! I have found that to be more significant than any other part of the bike over long distances on rough terrain. Well done to all the folk who rode on rigids, my hands could never take that. Spare brake pads also very important! Changed mine in the middle of Fisherfield at the top of the descent to Carnmore.

In many ways I think krembos 'no plan' idea is a good one. Just ride your bike up and down the hills at a speed that you can keep and will enjoy and see where you end up!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I've been thinking about where to write this up, as I don't have a live blog at the moment. It's just a collection of thoughts, although hopefully something useful is in there.

My background to the HTR550 is that I entered the HTR430 last year and binned it at Contin after day 2, perhaps too early in hindsight but I learned a lot from that. I figured at the time that if I could ride the LeJog, surely half the distance would be a similar difficulty. It was interesting this year to see that the amount of kit carried put me in the average, as opposed to in the upper reaches last year (33l rucksack, bar harness, seat pack).

Training: After my pride took a dent on the HTR430, I decided to get a decent ride done in 2013 to prove to myself I could ride a good distance offroad. That opportunity came around with an ITT of the Cairngorms Loop in July. From around November 2013 onwards, I rode only my mountain bike, ignoring the road bike almost completely after putting far too much focus on road bike in the lead up to HTR430. I got in a weekly ride of at least 60-70 miles, plus commutes, and a target of 150km/week ensured that I had to ride at the weekend as well as the commute to hit that target (thanks Strava!!) I made sure that at much of my riding as possible was off road, and also focused on the pushing elements, deliberately taking a fully loaded bike up hills too steep to ride.

In 2014, I rode the Cairngorms Loop and also the West Highland Way, did a couple of bivi trips to hone the setup and generally got used to having either a heavier bike, or just pedalling the bike I had up a lot of hills. I also took the opportunity to go single speed for extra masochistic pleasure, but I think that did help by keeping the distance up.

Bike: Last year (and first time round the Cairngorms Loop) I rode a rigid Salsa El Mariachi. The lack of fork began to really hurt by the second day, and I wanted a single speed anyway for training, so I picked up a bargain El Mariachi 2 from Billys.co.uk and converted my existing one to SS. The difference with a suspension fork was astonishing, just really good to ride on the techy stuff without worrying as much about wheel traps. I think Fisherfield would be horrible without one, mainly because the big descent out is fantastic at speed!

Kit: Last year I went with a tent, but this year a bivi and tarp. The reasons for this were twofold - weight saving of around 200g against my TN Laser, but also the discomfort factor would make me more likely to continue in the rain than just wait it out in the tent.

Bivi - Terra Nova Moonlite Sleeping Bag Cover: I'm going to replace this I think as it's not a full bivi, and I could potentially get rid of the tarp if I went for a bigger bag instead.
Tarp - Alpkit bicycle 3.5, with pegs from the Argos tent. Only used the tarp once in a passing place between Kylesku and Drumbeg. It was around 11pm when I pulled in after I couldn't get a hotel in Kylesku.
Sleeping bag - Cumulus Quantum 350 - perhaps a bit warm overall, but a great bag and 700g
Mat - NeoAir XTherm, full length. Without a doubt this is the one piece of kit I'll not look to improve or change. Fantastically comfy.
Luggage: Alpkit frame bag, two Stem Cells and a top tube bag. Wildcat seat pack harness, and bar harness. Both excellent. Alpkit Airlok Xtras at both ends, 13l in the bars and 8l in the seat pack. I did consider using the double ender on the bars but then realised I never need to get into the bag in-situ anyway so there was no point.
Stove - Karrimor titanium stove, same as the Fire Maple ones but only £20. TN ti pot, no lid.
Rucksack - TNF Megamouth I think (it says it holds 18l but it feels a lot smaller)

Clothes:
Tops - A Montane merino/synthetic blend long sleeve base layer, worn through the entire trip, washed once on the 4th night in a hotel in Ullapool. Also a Rab wind shirt type thing, worn as a mid layer.
Jackets - Montane Spektr Smock (excellent for weight but lack of zip was annoying at times), and Montane Flux jacket as my warm layer. The Flux got worn once on what I'd planned as a super quick bivi outside Kinlochleven where I decided to wear it and not use my sleeping bag. I had to descend later in the night as it was freezing so I got the sleeping bag out and slept incredibly well under a bush.
Shorts - Gore 3/4 bibs, worn throughout, again washed in Ullapool. Probably the best chamois I've ever used, and I think the 3/4 length helped keep my legs in shape as I didn't suffer with lactic acid at all. Overshorts were Altura 3/4s, although I was expecting some waterproof ones that didn't arrive in time unfortunately.
Shoes - Pearl Izumi X Alp Seek IV - these are like trainers so great for the walking section. I am unsure about them being supportive enough as every tendon in my feet hurts now, and unclipping out the way was becoming painful towards the end. My ankles are both really swollen at the moment too, although it would be hard to attribute it to the shoes and not just the distance.

Food: Last year I carried too many dinners and not enough snacks. This year I changed that. I went with three ziploc bags of porridge, two of which I used on the last night and day but they were there in reserve in case I needed it. I then stocked up on a load of oat based cereal bars, enough for a few days. I took couscous and chorizo for dinner - no ceremony or preparation, just eating half the chorizo as the couscous cooked - instant 900 calories, then another hundred on a hot chocolate. On the ride itself I stocked up in shops on the route, discovering that it's wise to always have a can of Coke on your person as it's a magical elixir when Mr Bonk comes along. Most of the shops en route don't sell cereal bars, but they do sell flapjacks, so I grabbed a handful of them every time. Not all flapjacks are the same - the ones from Drumbeg stores were made with butter and brown sugar so could be knocked back with ease, whereas the ones with margarine just became horrible to eat. The Drumbeg ones were to become a godsend when Mr Bonk visited one day - it took 1400 calories in quick succession for me to feel human again.
Also snack sized pork pies were amazing, just the right mix of fat, protein, carbs and deliciousness.

The race itself
I had a bout of man flu start the day before the race, and it was commented that I was looking like sh!t on the day of the race. I knew that if I was to continue the race, I needed to do so at a slow pace to keep the cold above my chest. That didn't work in the end, but it kept my pace regulated throughout.
I stayed in a mixture of places, three times with the bivi only, once in a ruin (which had a roof and it was raining), one bothy, one bivi/tarp and a hotel on night 4. The hotel was great to recover in, but moving from it was difficult as a result.

Pace: I kept my pace slow, in hindsight I wish I could have ridden more of the ups, but I tried to keep to a target of at least 80 miles a day. In days 1 to 4, this was fine, and it bought me some leeway for the day after which was quite a big one as it was the Fisherfield traverse. On what I'd planned as my last day, I got as far as Kinlochleven but decided not to push into the pitch black as I was sore, my brake not working, and I was frankly knackered - this meant I could just roll into Tyndrum on Saturday in no hurry.

Things I learned:
It's a bloody tough ride, but you get used to it. I had a mantra throughout the race which, while perhaps sounding nonsense to anyone except me, was "I need to do this as it's what needs to be done". This repeated through the many hills, the dragging up and down boggy landscapes and the moments of tiredness.
On tiredness, I didn't really think I was properly tired until I yawned. It's amazing how similar the other symptoms of what you'd see as fatigue are similar to the symptoms of hunger and thirst, and in most cases some food wolfed down and a drink of water made me feel alright enough to keep going. For everything else, the aforementioned can of Coke came into play.
Wanting to quit - I felt at quite a low ebb at times, thinking seriously about binning it. However, refer to the passage above on tiredness, because eating something made me feel better in almost all cases. I think just getting my body back on an even keel allowed me to look objectively at how I was feeling and whether to continue.
Stretching - didn't do anything, but feet are swollen and in pieces now. I think looking into this in advance and knowing what to expect would be useful.

Things to note for next year (useful if anyone is searching out HTR550 training threads):
Inchbae Hotel was shut
Rosehall Stores had a note up saying they were going to shut at the end of this year, so the last shop before then is Contin.
Calzzak

Post by Calzzak »

It is a tough ride indeed. Well done on making it through, getting to the end is a huge achievement.

Not being a fan of fizzy drinks at all, Coke is something I wouldn't touch even during a race. You do need something to bring you back from the bonk though, I had a stash of caffeine shotbloks from the start which did the trick for me. Lost a whole pack somehow on the descent into lochinver, little things like that can have huge effects on morale!

In terms of shoes, I don't know if there are any that are better than others. My feet and ankles are still swollen as well, walking hurts. Towards the end I actually thought my cleats were stuck in the pedals. I have clipped in since and I think it was just a case of I was becoming too weak to do it!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

+1 for snack pork pies - twas a schoolboy error of mine not to have a stock of them with me. Food is critical I reckon and the only way to suss it is to try different things on long rides and find out whats best - better training than hammering up hills on a road bike day after day.

I ended up with freeze dried meals due to being seduced by the weight to calories thing but to be honest, they are pretty horrible and look like someone else ate them first! 1 for emergencies maybe but my usual bike packing meal of couscous and smoke sausage is far more palatable. I think lack of caffeine may have been another issue for me. I'm a big drinker of tea and maybe not having my customary 6 mugs a day may have contributed to my decline....

Still prefer a tent for this carry on, the extra weight isn't too bad and having my wee bit of personal space away from the rain and midges is a major bonus. Whilst there was plenty of bothies around the route my concern was that they would be full of other racers or hillwalkers and sleep would be difficult to find.... guess its all down to what you prefer.

Maybe someone should start another thread - 'How to ride an adventure race!'
slarge

Post by slarge »

I also think someone should start that thread, but the best qualified person has only just finished (Ione)!!

I found a secret food of choice - lunch pot sized rice puddings! And egg rolls from the panini van in Lochinver. Bloody lovely!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Some interesting stuff above.

I'll add a couple of things.

Training. I was probably light on miles (1000 for the year). I did some strava hill work, Cave Dale, Doctors Gate, Jacobs Ladder etc. and some steady longer rides without food or water. I did a lot of the miles on a Single Speed. I'd had a biggish year preceding, so there'll have been some residual fitness.

Though not this year, I've experience of suffering. Having an idea of where your limits are is good.

Pace. I didn't know how fast would be too fast over multiple days, so took it fairly steady. Likewise, until the last couple of days I had plenty of sleep. My goal was to get round and definitely not to blow up half way round. I'd aim to ride something similar faster next time and with less sleep.

Food, I set off with 10K calories all in snacks. I refilled as space became available. I seemed to be always eating and drinking.

Tent/Bivi. I'm still in the tent camp. We were lucky with the weather this year. Plus it was nice being able to sit in the tent devoid of midges whilst checking the map for next days route.

Gear. I'll try and trim some weight for next time. Lighter tent and mat etc. I could lift th bike, but not over the gate without taking the bags off. :lol:
theredsnapper

Post by theredsnapper »

Great thread, lots of tips, experiences and some sweat in there too!

Well done to all who competed, and respect to all who finished!

Red