Cairngorms Outer Loop.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Cairngorms Outer Loop.

Post by Ray Young »

For some reason all my photos have come out small on here, click on them to get a full view. This ride came about on the night of the Scottish winter bothy whilst sitting round the fire and Mike happened to mention how much he would like to ride the Outer Cairngorms Loop. Well, Jamie and I jumped straight in and both said we where up for it too. Five months later and with Jim and Paul onboard as well (two of Mikes friends I had not met before) we set off for Blair Atholl. We did the loop in reverse and changed it slightly by going straight up Glen Tilt in order to ease ourselves into the ride and added in Glen Feshie. Mike, Jim and Paul drove up on the thursday night and set off friday morning. Jamie and I got the train up but due to not being able to book our bikes onto the early trains it meant that we didn't start till after twelve on the friday. We had arranged to meet the others somewhere along the River Avon 45-50 miles away.
Glen Tilt started off with easy landrover track then changed to difficult singletrack and neither Jamie or I seemed to be able to come to grips with it so some pushing and falling off ensued. I had a funny "Italian Job" moment at one point having come off on the side of a steep bank and was somehow straddling the bike but unable to move either up or down without falling further, Jamie wasn't far behind and came to my rescue.

Jamie On Glen Tilt Singletrack.
ImageCairngorms 003 by youngray50, on Flickr

After crossing the watershed we followed the River Dee and took a breather at "The Linn of Dee" pictured below, a narrow gorge fantastically carved by the power of the water rushing through it.
ImageCairngorms 008 by youngray50, on Flickr

After a bit of road we hit Braemar and stopped for some food and to stock up on provisions for the night. Braemar was followed by a lot of landrover track but the scenery more than makes up for it.

Looking south from the slopes of Culardoch at about 700m.
ImageCairngorms 009 by youngray50, on Flickr

We passed Loch Builg and then the Linn of Avon, the others would be camped up somewhere ahead and we found them a few miles short of Tomintoul, a 50 mile day. After introductions Jamie and I set up our tarps then joined the others by the fire to cook some food and chat. We were camped close to a road and a farmer stopped and asked us politely to make sure our fire was out properly before hitting the sack and we assured him we would be careful. Half an hour later he is coming back the other way and stops again and produces a ten litre plastic container just to make sure we have enough water to douse the fire properly. We turned in around twelve and slept till eight.

Bivi Spot In The Morning.
ImageCairngorms 010 by youngray50, on Flickr

Day two was supposed to have regular rain showers but thankfully this didn't happen and we only saw a little rain. The riding pace between us was fairly well matched so we mostly rode as a group giving good opportunity for some banter between us. Gari who lives in Aviemore had told us that there was some sweet downhill singletrack after Eag Mhor and he was true to his word. Two sections, the first being shorter than the second of fast flowing singletrack through lovely woodland, we all had a blast.

Passing by Eag Mhor.
ImageCairngorms 014 by youngray50, on Flickr

ImageCairngorms 020 by youngray50, on Flickr

Paul, Orange full susser, 26".
ImageCairngorms 015 by youngray50, on Flickr

Jamie, Ragley mmmbop hardtail, 26".
ImageCairngorms 016 by youngray50, on Flickr

Mike, Inbred 29er rigid (he jokingly refers to it as "the tank", pick it up and you'll soon realize why!)
ImageCairngorms 017 by youngray50, on Flickr

Jim, Ibis full susser, 26".
ImageCairngorms 018 by youngray50, on Flickr

The singletrack was over all too soon but the riding was still great. We hit Aviemore for a late pub lunch and to restock then on to Glen Feshie where we found a lovely spot to bivi. A 45 mile day today. We didn't arrive here until about 9. We set up camp, collected wood and got a fire going. After eating we settled down to chat and consume various types of alcohol and such a good time were we having of it that it was 2am before we realized how late it was and decided to turn in. Needless to say it was a later than usual start the next day.

All packed up and nearly ready to roll on day three.
ImageCairngorms 022 by youngray50, on Flickr

The last day and 35 miles left to do. We had a biggish climb early on to take us out of Glen Feshie over to Glen Tromie. Some "almost there" singletrack took us through some woods but we lost a lot of time due to fallen trees. Then there was some "non existant" singletrack followed by more "almost there" singletrack and we lost more time still. Jamie and I had a train booked and we were now pushed for time. We forded a river to pick up a landrover track headed in our direction to save us time. I was now starting to worry that we would miss our train. There was a later train but if all the bike spaces were taken we might not have been able to get on it.
Jamie and I were leading and at Gaick Lodge we looked back but couldn't see the others anywhere, they must have had a mechanical. A quick conflab and Jamie and I decided to push on, we knew the guys would understand. Pushing a gear or even two higher than I would normally we picked up the pace, I felt good but on the climb up to Loch an Duin I started to get a pain in my right thigh and I began to think i'd pulled something, luckily it didn't get any worse so we maintained the high pace. Before we knew it we were back onto tarmac with a lovely downhill run all the way to Blair Atholl. We arrived at the station with 40 minutes to spare.

A superb three days spent in great scenery with great people, thanks for the company guys :-bd .
Last edited by Ray Young on Sat May 24, 2014 8:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
Gari

Re: Cairngorms Loop.

Post by Gari »

Nice trip report Ray, glad you had a good time in these here parts :grin:
Weather was so much better than I had last week, nice when the weather man is wrong, in the right way :lol:
pushbikemike

Re: Cairngorms Outer Loop.

Post by pushbikemike »

Cracking write up ray. Excellent trip with great company. We did have a few stops and energy levels did drop for us three at the back without the pressure of a train to catch.

Great photos too. I am sitting here thinking of ways to shed weight from "the tank". Cheaper for me to lose weight.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Forgot to mention that when putting our bikes on the train at Blair Atholl a guy in his twenties was watching and our seats happened to be next to his. He was straight in with questions about what we had been doing. He said he had hill walked and camped but never mountain biked and camped and was well up for it so I gave him details of this site. I could just tell that he will be giving it a go at some point so if your reading this then good luck and enjoy.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Also forgot to mention, that bird of prey we saw on the last day, checked the net and it turned out to be an Osprey, :cool: .

Oh, and all the rivers to ford, forgot to mention them too :roll: .
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Ray, it's funny how you forget all those other details. Enjoyed this. :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Farawayvisions wrote:Ray, it's funny how you forget all those other details. Enjoyed this. :-bd
Yes, there was a lot to take in. It's not always easy getting the balance right about what to put in or leave out. I tend to do an outline of the trip and let the photo's tell the rest. Must find out why my pics came out so small this time, it's never happened before and I didn't do anything different this time that I know of. Maybe flicker has changed something and I didn't notice.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Try putting in a carriage return (i.e. hit the enter key) into the flickr link - just before the name of the image (e.g cairngorms010).
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

There should be an option to select the image size to link to in the sharing options
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Good write up - how many miles was the first day? I think we might do this later in the year :)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Our daily mileages were 50, 45 and 35 miles, total distance is about 130 miles with 13,500 ft of climbing. The original outer loop is slightly longer with a bit more climbing. If you do it anti clockwise as we did the last 13 miles is on road and downhill.
I can send you a GPX file for the original route and the amended route that we did if you want.