Congrats to those involved (singletrack content)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Solo

Congrats to those involved (singletrack content)

Post by Solo »

:-bd Well done to those involved in the latest issue of ST.
Last edited by Solo on Mon May 12, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Congrats to those involved (singletrack contebt

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well done to those involved in the latest issue of ST.
Why, what's in it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Solo

Re: Congrats to those involved (singletrack content)

Post by Solo »

A fair bit of adventure stuff but the particular piece I was thinking of is on bikepacking and seeing what 3 riders recommend / use.
It also recommends this site too, so am sure at least one of those interviewed frequents here.
24tom

Post by 24tom »

Greg definitely uses this site. Had a quick flick through the article this evening, and it looks good. Look forward to a proper read when I have the time :-)
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Nice article and also one on WHW which I have yet to read. No 'budget' option of just strapping stuff on bars etc but to be fair STW have done that in the past.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

not seen the article yet but I'm hoping it works as a general guide to whats out there, I'd be surprised if theres much new for this forum but will be interesting to get feedback from the STW forum, as always..... :-)
Big Fat Biker

Post by Big Fat Biker »

maybe I'm getting more miserable in my old age but I dont like magazines doing pieces on bikepacking or anything that I enjoy for that matter. I like the idea of getting out on my bike and enjoying the countryside. I'm sure others do it for the same reason. these magazine articles are designed to encourage people to get out and try new things, I think they should be trying to discourage people.

the media has already destroyed walking anywhere in the uk, climbing has become a fashion sport and now the same has happened with cycling, its become the new golf.

its impossible to move anywhere in the peak district, lake district and north Wales now without having to barge through gangs of chodders bumbling around dripping with north face kit. its become fashionable to be seen outdoors.

I don't like seeing another great idea being forced on to the masses resulting in small villages getting over ran by the infectious plebs looking to take over a cafe for the afternoon posing outside next to the new "toy" they've just acquired.

I understand this makes me sound like the end of a bell but I've given up on too many hobbies as they've been destroyed by over popularity I don't want to see bikepacking going the same way.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Big Fat Biker wrote:I'm getting miserable
I think you are :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

maybe I'm getting more miserable in my old age but I dont like magazines doing pieces on bikepacking or anything that I enjoy for that matter. I like the idea of getting out on my bike and enjoying the countryside. I'm sure others do it for the same reason. these magazine articles are designed to encourage people to get out and try new things, I think they should be trying to discourage people.

the media has already destroyed walking anywhere in the uk, climbing has become a fashion sport and now the same has happened with cycling, its become the new golf.

its impossible to move anywhere in the peak district, lake district and north Wales now without having to barge through gangs of chodders bumbling around dripping with north face kit. its become fashionable to be seen outdoors.

I don't like seeing another great idea being forced on to the masses resulting in small villages getting over ran by the infectious plebs looking to take over a cafe for the afternoon posing outside next to the new "toy" they've just acquired.

I understand this makes me sound like the end of a bell but I've given up on too many hobbies as they've been destroyed by over popularity I don't want to see bikepacking going the same way.
:grin:
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Big Fat Biker wrote:maybe I'm getting more miserable in my old age but I dont like magazines doing pieces on bikepacking or anything that I enjoy for that matter. I like the idea of getting out on my bike and enjoying the countryside. I'm sure others do it for the same reason. these magazine articles are designed to encourage people to get out and try new things, I think they should be trying to discourage people.

. I get what your saying :shock:
Trying to ride bikes.
ton

Post by ton »

just aim for harder to get to locations........most folk who jump on a bandwagon, tend to take a easy option, like a trailcenter for mtb riding.
they then find it is quite energetic, and give in.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I actually have the same opinion as Big Fat Biker, and I work with the mags !

theres no point in denying it though, it will get more popular, this forum is an example, as far as bikepacking goes though, the weather will provide a natural selection process ;-)
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Bikepacking won't get as popular as trail centre biking has become. There's too much of a commitment to make, which can't be served up by a two hour loop of the red on a Saturday morning followed by a cake and a discussion of how rad to the power sick their ride was.

Thankfully if MTB is the new golf, you can pretty much set your upper time commitment by the masses as being the time taken to play eighteen holes.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Sorry to disagree with BFB and others but what folk in this country need is an excuse and encouragement to get off their fat arses and get some exercise. That might be walking, climbing, cycling, gym, whatever. I don't (and never have) get this elitist viewpoint at all. As AlasdairMc says, the more "extreme" activities are pretty much self-selecting anyway.

FWIW, I've seen and heard similar sentiments amongst fat-bikers "woe is us now that Specialized and Trek are getting in on the act" or "oh no - folk are using fat bikes at trail centres". I got fed up of that too.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I bet a load of guys in the States are saying this about us lot after kicking off the whole thing 8-10 years ago .. : )

Whatever happens I doubt you'll ever be stoping early to bag the only remaining bivi spots in the Surreh hills before rolling into Peaslake for a cheese-string breakfast on your off-the-peg Trek Vagrant bivibike, then queueing behind the local Scout troop who are all working towards their Tour Divider's badge. But if it happened you'd have to laugh eh? Or maybe not :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While I believe 'bikepacking' will become more popular I don't think it'll ever become truly mainstream for the reasons already mentioned. The popularity of the Trail Centre is in part due to their ease of use, ammenities (those with cafes and showers are always more popular than those without) and lack of requirement for any type of 'outdoor skills' such as navigation or common sense :wink:

Bikepacking requires much more input and commitment from those taking part ... the greater this becomes, the less people want to take part. You can see this if you compare the WRT to the BB 200 and then the BB 200 to the HT ... harder it gets the smaller the numbers.

On a personal note, I really enjoy seeing people 'discover' bikepacking. If I thought it best to 'keep it a secret', this place wouldn't exist. :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Other people? Wanting to bikepack? The very idea!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Owen

Post by Owen »

Sometimes I think that the people who are against "their" hobby getting popular, especially outdoors ones, are worried that people will find out its not that hard and will spoil their Bear Grylls fantasy! :wink:

More people doing the activity is generally a good thing, equipment get's cheaper, more people getting out into the countryside gets access improved, could lead to open access everywhere.

More importantly, why would you be against people enjoying themselves? Is it because they're not enjoying the activity in the right way?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

let me try to explain a little clearer my thoughts...

for me, being outside doing stuff is my way to stop me getting fatter, stop me drinking myself to death, stop me from being such a miserable git (which is pretty much my default character) I enjoy it immensenly, mostly on my own but also enjoy being with friends

I have no desire to promote this, I've nothing to gain by doing so, have no vested interest, but have lots of friends who are activly involved in doing this, and I'm currently working this week providing photographs for a CTC project to do just this !

but if none of this happened I'd still be out there doing whatever I do

clear as mud !

to summarise, I'm a proper grumpy old curmudgeon
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

SteveM wrote:for me, being outside doing stuff is my way to stop me getting fatter, stop me drinking myself to death, stop me from being such a miserable git (which is pretty much my default character) I enjoy it immensenly, mostly on my own but also enjoy being with friends.
That's almost a description of me there :lol: .
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm not sure I've actually done any 'proper' bikepacking?? Bike Packing sounds epic, long, involved.

I rode from London to Wales but one night was spent at Fishy's house and the other I slept out but 3 days and 2 nights doesn't quite feel like "Bike Packing"

I think you've got to be able to go multiple days really. ??

Bit of Mountain Biking with a Bivi is more where I'm at and that doesn't sound Epic enough.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Over the WRT weekend the hills were hardly packed to the gunnels and that was in perfect weather conditions and encouragement for more people than normal to be out and about. I don't think we need to panic just yet! :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Over the WRT weekend the hills were hardly packed to the gunnels and that was in perfect weather conditions and encouragement for more people than normal to be out and about. I don't think we need to panic just yet!
Aye, 'tis very true ... when you consider that the biggest bikepacking event in the entire whole wide world attracts 150 entrants, we're not likely to get swamped anytime soon, no matter how many articles get printed :wink:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I concur with this:
Big Fat Biker wrote:maybe I'm getting more miserable in my old age but I dont like magazines doing pieces on bikepacking or anything that I enjoy for that matter........etc.
I've become a bit annoyed by everyone being at a trail centre thing, but to be fair, as a student it was very easy to get a group of cyclists along to try it out in a pretty safe environment and there's broadly something for everyone. As I've grown up and friends are scattered round the country, initially we get together and ride trail centres because we're all pretty busy and it involves very little planning to get together and ride socially..we normally do this in winter when the weather is poor show becaue a.) accomodation is cheaper and b.) some of us race/used to race, so winter is the off season so fits in with schedules nicely, and c.) there's less weekend warriors pratting around.

I would quite like to do them over summer though, but I've done that a couple of times and it's just full of weekend warriors trying to prove something :roll:

This is my experience of Welsh trail centres.

Now, I did a 7 Stanes trip mid week last september, and that was superb - very little planning, 2 of us, great variety of trails and not many people on the trail.

Now I forgotten the point I was going to make. I really am getting old :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps we're becoming the 'Punk Rock' of the cycling world ... in 25 years people will stand around telling anyone who'll listen that 'they were there' just like everyone and his dog says they saw the Pistols when in reality only a handful ever did :wink: