Please help me find the perfect spot...

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Please help me find the perfect spot...

Post by JohnClimber »

OMG I spoke with the wife today and mentioned that we should have a night out on a wild bivi under the stars on a perfectly clear night (short notice) and she says if the conditions were perfect then yes she'll give it a go....

But there are rules that I need you help me with please.

We will need walk to the bivi spot no more than 2 miles
It will be light weight so we'd need to eat in a pub for an evening meal and walk from there
And maybe even a good breakfast the day after
The pub would need to be dog friendly as we'll have the dog with us
The walk to the bivi spot would need to be flat(ish) or at least not very steep or technical
The area's could be, North West England, North Wales, Clywds, South/Central Lakes, Northumberland

Please help :cool:
Taylor

Re: Please help me find the perfect spot...

Post by Taylor »

Is she prepared to protect you from the bogey men?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I bloody well hope so, it's just finding the perfect spot
barney

Post by barney »

will she bail as well if it rains? :-P
Wait for me...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Anyone with any sensible idea's? :???:
chris n

Post by chris n »

Somewhere on the Long Mynd? Pubs in Church Stretton and Ratlinghope, plenty of spots on the top to kip.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

The spot me and FF used last year in the Lakes probably meets some of your criteria. He be the bettter bet to give details. It was around Beatrix Potter's House, ish (IIRC).

Two pubs in the village within reasonable walking distance. Up the valley and there was a small tarn with pitching spots, some woods with gaps in the fence to hang. A walk a little higher would put you in an even better position.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Near Sawrey for the pub(Tower Bank Arms).
Anywhere on Claife Heights.
Follow the obvious bridleway for 2k ish and lie down.
Somewhere just above Wise Een Tarn.

Can't go wrong with that spot and the food in the pub is lush. They do rooms too so I suspect they might do breakfast for you too.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

It's popular though*. FF even bumped into a contingent who come over from the IoM and included his old school chums :cool:

We hung in the woods at a similar elevation to the Tarn. I think when I go back I'd pick somewhere higher up. When we rode through it looked good but we were still scouting for a spot. Walking proximity to the pub may have affected our (and your) choices though :wink:

* not really.
barney

Post by barney »

John, you could park in Cilcain and have tea in the White Horse

I know a couple of decent spots within 1-2 miles,walk

Back to the car in the morning and then a 5 minute drive down to the cafe at Loggerheads
Wait for me...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Not to worry, it won't be happening under canvas anyway and any time in this lifetime.

I found what I thought was the perfect spot, not under canvas, and not quite a bothy, using sleeping bags, cooking over an open fire, near a pub but with on site car parking* and no neighbours in a field to ourselves in deepest darkest Gloucestershire on the way north from our week long Devon holiday.

Now some may call it "glamping", but there was no electricity, no gas, no water, no toilets near by (some bothies have closer loos), so I'll call it a bothy with bedding
Some photos

* unfortunately the pub was out of the question, as the drive to the "herders hut" was off road and some mounting holding my gear box in place must have dislodged and the whole thing twisted so I could only find 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear, not the best gears to get us out of a wet field and 145miles drive home the day after.

As it couldn't be fixed, we came home at a nice 56mph today on a low loader.

But not to worry, we had food to cook over the fire in the hut.

Then at the light faded and we couldn't read anymore it was into the sleeping bags for the night, she slept better than I, but the dog's snoring kept waking me up. Even the really heavy rain and what sounded like strong wind last night didn't wake him.

When asked on the way home (in the recovery truck) "would you do it again and under canvas next time daring?" I'm lucky that the driver was a female as it stopped her telling me to "FCUK OFF, not a chance". Now she's moaning that everything smells of smoke :roll:

So, that's that sorted now I can now bivi in piece.

Cheers for all your help.

JC