fitting tyres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gari

fitting tyres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Gari »

Just trying to fit new tyres to the bike for this weekends ride, f**k me, I have had difficult tyres before but i can't get these anywhere close. Bought some Wildgripper race as they were cheap, figured they would be fine for the dry conditions around here(even pretty soon after rain!) Managed to get the rear one on with some serious leverage. The front not so much, 3 pinch flats and I gave up, getting it back off was not much less of a nightmare. I remembered I had a brand new WTB Moto 1.9 in the car, whew.... I have just removed the 2.2 Moto as it was finally shot and that went on without levers, sorted. Guess what? Just as bad as the Wgripper...WTF?
Kinda hard to tell in this shot, but this is as far as I can get it on without it just coming off the rim on the opposite edge, I have 3 very bent Schwalbe levers for the effort. This is on a flat work bench with a lot of force on the end to try to stop it coming off.
This is easier to see, my thumb is on the rim outer, the distance from the edge of the rim to the bead is almost 1.5 inches. Don't see it going on personally.
Yes, the bead is seated in the well of the rim, as much as it can be anyway, and yes they are both 29er tyres, trust me I checked both as they are so far out :shock: :roll:
Any ideas from the collective?
psling

Re: fitting tyres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by psling »

Are they folding or wire-bead? Bowl of hot water, soften the tyre and retry (if wire, give up!). Personally I always start at the valve but don't know if that makes any difference.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Hi psling, folders, but they have been in the drying room for about an hour with the same thing in mind, all to no avail. Never seen a tyre this tight, there must be about 8-10 inch between the ends that won't go over the bead! tempted to try and fit one to a 26in wheel in the shed :grin: Thanks for the suggestion.
jBay

Post by jBay »

Soapy water on the tyre/rim(lots of washing up liquid), helps them slide on, it's what I do for tubeless tyres.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

You'll have fun if you get a puncture!
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thing is, if they're that hard to get on in the warm and dry at home, what will you do when you get a puncture at night in a storm, miles from anywhere? I'd give up and try a different tyre.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I am on plan C for the week off, having decided to try the C2C on the fattie as I am aware that changing tubes out on the trail is going to be a issue. I was more after any experiences of tyres that are/were this far out size wise? That and having a bit of a rant to get it of my chest etc :smile:
Given that the bead doesn't even make it past the rim inner, let alone the side wall, I am not sure there is enough soapy water in Scotland to get it on :|
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Have you made sure the bead of the tyre is sitting roughly in the middle of the rim (the part that is already over mounted)? That part of the rim has a smaller diameter, so allows some slack to get the remainder over the wall of the rim.

Hope that makes sense
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

In fairness, on my commuter bike I run 700c durano plus. They either require strong thumbs and good technique (or sometimes I cheat and use a tyre lever) when putting them on for the first time. After inflated it all stretches and from that point onwards it's fairly no hassle tool free on and off.

So after you get it on once and inflated it, you might find it a bit easier :wink: I do only use kevlar bead though coz I'm lazy and can't be bothered with the hassle of wire bead.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I've only ever been defeated once - by some 2.1 Bontrager XC tyres on a cheap DT wheelset. Very similar tale to yours - there was just no way they would ever go on and I broke several levers in the process. I gave up on that specific combo. The rims were fine with other tyres and the tyres were fine on other rims.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Just fitted the other Wildgripper to a spare front wheel, wtb laser disc rim, not great but what can i do?! Went on with a little persuasion, pumped it up to try and stretch it out a little.
Tried getting the Moto off the Stan's rim and I can't even get a lever under the bead.
I am just going to leave it till I get back, and go on the fattie tomorrow I think, happy with the front but not convinced about the rear given the effort involved. Maybe they will have stretched a little when I get back. LBS can have a play with the Moto when I get back :cool: