Gear advice needed - Mat & Bag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Matt

Gear advice needed - Mat & Bag

Post by Matt »

Been doing a WRT kit list and this year I've got a friend coming along.

He's a bit of a WRT virgin (and this will be his first Bivvy) and about the only bits I don't have doubled up are a Sleeping bag and Mattress

I suggested a AlpKit Mat would be spot on, decent size, weight and cost but they are no more (also Bag) :roll: :roll:

So bearing in mind we need it this week and he may not get the use out of the gear to spend mega money on stuff

What Mat is a good compromise between cost / size / weight?

Same question for Sleeping bag??
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Gear advice needed - Mat & Bag

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How much is not much?

I spotted a Force 10 bag at F&T yesterday, it's been reduced by rather a lot, the spec's very good and it should do the job very well. Given the price he could possibly sell it on without losing owt either.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/vango-250-7 ... e=78104590

This has got to be a contender for a mat. The leaking issues with the Hyalite mats didn't affect the SIM only the air mats.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/11649 ... etite.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
Matt

Post by Matt »

This has got to be a contender for a mat.
He's 6ft 4 :shock:

But that is a bargain!
Matt

Post by Matt »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anybody seen these ??

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-x- ... e=78214490
Some of the Karrimor stuff is rebranded multimat so he shouldn't go far wrong.

At 6'4" he might not fit in a regular sleeping bag ... most are up to 6'2" (ish)
DanLear

Post by DanLear »

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but the mat discussion grabbed my interest...

I currently either have a balloon bed (!) or a ca 20yr old thermarest as my mat options so the 2 up there ^^ looked very appealing. Only really a 3 season bikepacker, but I'm also 6'4", so are either of those 2 more or less suited to those of excessive height?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I currently either have a balloon bed (!) or a ca 20yr old thermarest as my mat options so the 2 up there ^^ looked very appealing. Only really a 3 season bikepacker, but I'm also 6'4", so are either of those 2 more or less suited to those of excessive height?
It's really just down to the length Dan. I can sleep fine with a mat that only reaches my thighs, others can't. I didn't look to see what thickness the mats are but I'd imagine they're both 25mm given the weights.
jBay

Post by jBay »

Silvermans in London stock extra long Sungpak sleeping bags for the larger carbon units and zipin pieces for extra width.

Being 6ft5 if the bag isn't long enough you cant get your shoulders in/warm/comfortable.

Just saying
DanLear

Post by DanLear »

s8tannorm wrote:
It's really just down to the length Dan. I can sleep fine with a mat that only reaches my thighs, others can't. I didn't look to see what thickness the mats are but I'd imagine they're both 25mm given the weights.
Ta! yup both 25mm, but the Karrimor edges it on length (and therefore weighs more too), however I can't find a "packed size" for the Karrimor mat online...anyone have that info to hand?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I imagine it'll be as close as makes no difference to any other SIM of the same dimemsions (and spec) ... the ability of a SIM to fold up if really affected by how the foam is 'cored', ie horizontal, vertical or both.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

I can't find a "packed size" for the Karrimor mat online...anyone have that info to hand?
Mine (the 5cm thick version) fits nicely, rolled up tight, in an 8L Alpkit dry bag. A brilliant comfy mat for the price, and if mine was incinerated tomorrow in an unfortunate MYOG meths burner incident I'd replace it like for like. A crackin' deal at the price field&Trek/sportsdirect knock it out at.

HTH