Multitool recommendation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Multitool recommendation

Post by Chew »

On the spending spree again

My cheapo multitool has turned into one rusty ball.

Looking for some thing/things which have the usual selection of tools and chain splitter, will stand abuse and not too pricey.

Recomendations appreciated
voodoo_simon

Re: Multitool recommendation

Post by voodoo_simon »

I've been pleased with my crank brothers multi tool l, think it's the 17?

I have the lezyne home mechanics tool kit thing and the quality of the tools are excellent
Nick

Post by Nick »

Crank Bros 17 is also what I have, must be more than 5 years old now and still brilliant. I guess it's a bit heavy, but very reliable.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I have a tiny fat spanner one which has every tool under the sun on it and will fit in the little square pocket of my monkii wedge :)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=269

Weighs bugger all, takes up no space and the chain breaker genuinely works well. I find with some multi tools the number of features get in the way. This is nicely low profile.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

I've had this one for for a while now and its pretty good, nice price too!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... -prod55926
SimonD

Post by SimonD »

I've had this in my saddle bag for a year, I like it http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p50890/Birzma ... -Tool.aspx
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Crank brothers here, mine is the 19 or the 17

Take a leatherman wave as well
slarge

Post by slarge »

I'm liking this - lots of choice for this one as well! I reckon a Topeak or park tools one is the way to go. Or a £10 one from Superstar.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I use a little Toepeak mini (possibly a 5 or something like that) and take along a mini Toepeak chain tool too ... the pair weigh less than many combined tools and IMO are more use / easier to use.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Crank Bros 17 for me too. Had it for yonks, never fails.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Topeak alien here - still going strong over 10 years later, its not light though :)
FLV

Post by FLV »

If you want a 2 in 1 the topeak hummer is the one. I go separate chain tool though
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Topeak Hexus 2 is pretty good. Just about every tool under the shun on it, and easy enough to use with gloves on too.

Got a Crank Brothers Pica cheap from Sport Pursuit when I I lost the to peak. Incidentally found it in my TN Laser last eek week :oops:

Got are good tools. Topeak is easier to use when its cold/gloves are on, but it's heavy compared to the CB. Topeak is a lot cheaper though…
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Ian

Post by Ian »

I've just bought/ordered a Full Windsor Nutter. Looks a good tool. Got it mainly for the 15mm box spanner* but the addition of various plug in bits make it look versatile. Expensive though, but if it works I can live with that.

* after a small incident on the welsh trip, I now have 15mm hex bolts holding my back wheel in, not the 6mm cheese like Allen bolts that were there previously.
Son

Post by Son »

Hear good things about this

http://pedros.com/products/toolsfor-the-ride/tulio/

it's 'divide tested'
anyone on here own one?
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

danielgroves wrote:Topeak Hexus 2 is pretty good. Just about every tool under the shun on it, and easy enough to use with gloves on too.

Got a Crank Brothers Pica cheap from Sport Pursuit when I I lost the to peak. Incidentally found it in my TN Laser last eek week :oops:

Got are good tools. Topeak is easier to use when its cold/gloves are on, but it's heavy compared to the CB. Topeak is a lot cheaper though…
second the Hexus2. A bit heavier than some tools but very robust and you can some descent leverage with the allen keys and the chain tool works
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

I still do not understand some of these posts. Some people who spank up a fortune on a Ti pot or mug to save 30g over an aluminium one then carry multi tools that weigh around 300g plus!. Plenty of very light options available, even titanium ones (ooooh... precious things).

Any multi tool over 100g is way too much if you have uber-light gear in the rest of your pack (put into "tarp" context its 500g tarp against a 780g tarp…… sounds bigger that way). As the Americans say - "just saying" :wink:
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

I think for me it comes down to usability, there is no point saving 30g on a tool if it doesn't help you fix your bike. Being a mechanical numpty I prefer the reassurance of a tool with lots of options to get me out of fix, I don't have the skills to wield an uber light striped back tool.

Ti pots on the other hand do more or less the same job you just pay to get them lighter. The threshold though of grams to £ is a personal one. :grin:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I still do not understand some of these posts. Some people who spank up a fortune on a Ti pot or mug to save 30g over an aluminium one then carry multi tools that weigh around 300g plus!. Plenty of very light options available, even titanium ones (ooooh... precious things).
I've got a Lezyne one which weighs ~120gms inc chain tool.

Fine until you need to use it. a) 1st time I needed the chain tool, it broke. b) Allen keys are so short that for a number of applications they are unusable.
I've had another lightweight jobbie (can't remember the brand) which might just as well have been made of jobbie for its usefullness as a tool.

It's worth checking that a multitool actually works on your bike before you start counting the grams
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm starting to think that a selection of seperate tools, handpicked to fit your (and bikes) requirements could be lighter and more useable than the majority of multitools.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I used to do that. Selection of allen keys slotted into a 700c inner tube to hold them together, worked really well. Just not as 'cool' as a proper tool. Since getting back into cycling I have a couple of nice multitools again!

I actually carry individual tools on my motorbike as I don't trust a small multitool to be able to put sufficient torque into some of the bolts on my bike
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I actually carry individual tools on my motorbike as I don't trust a small multitool to be able to put sufficient torque into some of the bolts on my bike
I took Dee's Z650 for an MOT the other day with a rucksack full :wink:
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

s8tannorm wrote:I'm starting to think that a selection of seperate tools, handpicked to fit your (and bikes) requirements could be lighter and more useable than the majority of multitools.
I have heard the storys about motorcycle trials guys re-building their bikes so that every fixing that could be tool free was, and all the rest of the nuts and bolts were made the same size. One tool to fix everything! :lol:

It probably could be done on a bike. Get a machine shop to make you some nice Ti bolts that all take a 5mm hex key, regardless of thread size. :-bd
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote:I'm starting to think that a selection of seperate tools, handpicked to fit your (and bikes) requirements could be lighter and more useable than the majority of multitools.
This is what I do, although I need a new small chain breaker as it broke. Recommendations for that?