1 man tents !!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

yeti342

1 man tents !!!

Post by yeti342 »

Their are so many from different company's what ones are best in the lightweight department against money they cost ...

Or put it simply what do you use ? And why ?
Instragram = mtb_69
slarge

Re: 1 man tents !!!

Post by slarge »

I have a TN laser comp, and it is brilliant. Light, roomy for one, easy access and can be put up outer only, and outer first. Haven't used it for a year or so though as I use a bivvy and tarp now. Never tried any others but Go Outdoors seem to have a few cheap 1 man tents at the moment.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Currently using a Scarp. Weight is OK and I like that it has loads of space, two vestibule/entries and the pitching system makes finding locations for pegs pretty pain-free.

Considering a Lunar Solo for weight savings. I had a design of a tent in mind and the LS is just about that!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Used my Coleman Exponenet Rigel for a couple of years without any problems.
But I'm not getting any younger and getting dressed while it's raining inside such a small tent/coffin is no fun.

So hopefully tomorrow my Lunar Solo will be turning up to give me more head room.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

TerraNova Laser here. As has already said, outer first and outer only if wanted. Good ventilation, if used correctly all condensation can be dispensed. Very light, and although a little flappy in high wind solid once up. I've used mine in some extreme winds, enough to see some geodesic tents fail without issues. I absolutely love mine, and wouldn't trade it for the world when travelling light.

Also loe my TN Voyager XL, but that is by no means what you're after :D
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Saunders Jetpacker from eBay. Usually go for around 80quid in decent condition. No longer made, but a proper 1-2 man tent for 1.25kg. Outer first / outer only with an ingenious telescopic pole system.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The SMD Lunar is a classic but it's really a tarp-tent not a proper tent ... this may or maynot be a concern. However, it's light (there's a new UL version now too that weighs 650g), very roomy, you can sit up and it has a big porch area.

Lasers do tend to be the default choice for many but they're not exactly cheap. I always thought the Force 10 Helium was actually a better tent but again, not cheap. The new Vango Zenith 100 seems to be a similar design and can be had for under £100.

May the bridges you burn light your way
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Hilleberg Akto for winter/colder weather and fits my 6'3' frame
March-Bivi-29 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr
Luna Solo for the summer to keep the winged teeth at bay (I react pretty badly to being bitten so not mad keen on tarping in summer) but as Stu says strictly not a tent but nice and light and fully enclosed against midges/mossies/slugs etc. Seems to hold up well in poorer weather too and fits my 6'3' frame OK on a thick mat.
June_TCW_Bivi-40 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr
Like them both - good quality construction and seem to be lasting well
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

s8tannorm wrote:The SMD Lunar is a classic but it's really a tarp-tent not a proper tent ... this may or maynot be a concern. However, it's light (there's a new UL version now too that weighs 650g), very roomy, you can sit up and it has a big porch area.

That's the one I'm currently considering but I'm not sure how robust a SilNylon floor will be!
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

ScotRoutes wrote:
s8tannorm wrote:The SMD Lunar is a classic but it's really a tarp-tent not a proper tent ... this may or maynot be a concern. However, it's light (there's a new UL version now too that weighs 650g), very roomy, you can sit up and it has a big porch area.

That's the one I'm currently considering but I'm not sure how robust a SilNylon floor will be!
What about using something like he gramcounter-gear groundsheet as a "footprint" type arrangement - mediums about 84grams and mine seems to be holding up pretty well.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... heet-p1482
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I always stick a 'tailored' section of that window double glazing stuff under mine (few 10's of grams) ans should also prevent punctures to the Thermarest
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Another a Terra Nova user here..
icicleboy

Post by icicleboy »

Vaude Hogan. Should be able to get one around £80 second hand or £140 new ( I think)
A very useable tent and have slept 2 people in this at a push. 1.4kg packed weight. Takes a few mins to put up but it is not free standing and needs to be pegged out (although you dont need to use the guide lines). And isnt like a coffin style tent either. Can sit up in this one.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... 1elV_ldXko
yeti342

Post by yeti342 »

Cheers for all the comments and reviews . Not sure what route to go down but the smd lunar looks a great peice of kit ..
Instragram = mtb_69
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not sure what route to go down but the smd lunar looks a great peice of kit ..
There's 3 versions of the Lunar available now.

Standard version.
UL version ... very light version just launched but obviously more expensive.
LE version ... this is a bit heavier but also a bit tougher. 'Tis also quite a bit cheaper.

There'll all great, just pick the one that best suits. :wink:
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Any ideas where to get the LE in the UK?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any ideas where to get the LE in the UK?
Nope, I reckon all the LE versions have gone (in truth they were actually a mistake and were never meant to be produced). Backpackinglight are the only folk to stock SMD in the UK, they were showing no stock of the LE for a month or so but are now showing stock of the new updated Lunar. However, looking at the specs it might even be the UL version, as the listed weight (680g) is the same as that listed for the UL elsewhere ... I think that makes sense :roll:

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF113.html