Bwlch or bust

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Bwlch or bust

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Set off from home about 9.00am and trundled over to Mach' then onto Happy Valley to meet Matt. We had a vague plan but nothing set in stone, as long as Matt was back home at a reasonable hour, then we'd be good.

While I was waiting I took a picture of my bike (like you do). No rucksack or bumbag all I had was what's there.

Matt arrived right on que and we set off across the Rhyd-yr-onen byway ... and our first bwlch of the day. The sun was high in the sky, the kites were putting on a show for us and life was good.

We hit tarmac and picked up Sustrans 8 and the second bwlch of the day. You could smell the sea at the top, so the decision was made to drop into Large Breasts in Small Vests - on sea to pick up fish and chips and a compulsary ice cream. Once we'd eaten far too much, we left the flesh pots of Barmouth and paid a visit to the campsite matt's got earmarked for the 'Teddy Bear Bones' ... very nice it is too.

We pootled down the Mawddach Trail and on into Dol' for an undeserved milkshake. A very steep push out of Dol' brought us to one of my favourite bits of riding ... a tiny, uppy downy lane that twists and turns through ancient woodlands, you can see in the picture above just how much Matt shared my love for it. It was getting on a bit now and we were quickly losing the light, so we had to decide whether to continue over the last bwlch and stop at the top (no lights between us) or pitch up and leave it until morning ... by the time we hit the top it was dark, breezy and starting to get a touch chilly. A quick scout about and we found a turning circle within the forest, it was dry, sheltered and nearly level. Half an hour later we'd set up, had a brew and were snuggled up in bivvy bags under a very impressive sky. It was obviously going to be frosty and Matt had cunningly brought his summer bag ... which I secretly hoped would mean he wouldn't get much sleep because he doesn't seem to snore when he's awake :wink:

Dawn arrived with a cookoo at 6.00 and as my vision adjusted to the light I was a little shocked to discover that Matt had vanished during the night ...

... and had been replaced by Alexei Sayle who kept trying to sell me a pair of midget sized trousers while I brewed up :wink:

A very cold, mostly downhill blast landed us in Mach' where we went our seperate ways. Great company, glorious weather and not much snoring either :grin:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Matt

Re: Bwlch or bust

Post by Matt »

I counted 70 miles

A few ups

More than average bike walking

Lots of sunshine

1 mysterious puncture

Good fun
Mike

Post by Mike »

Stu, did u go riding with matt allwright off watchdog? How canny fmrmatt is to him.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Looks a fantastic trip that!

Drew
composite

Post by composite »

Good stuff.

Can I ask why the turning circle was the best place and not somewhere under the trees?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Clear night

Very flat
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Can I ask why the turning circle was the best place and not somewhere under the trees?
Looks like a nice trip. Most of the forest turning circles round ours are usually filled with parked cars after sunset .... :shock:
I'm just going outside ...
Matt

Post by Matt »

I flashed my headtorch on/off at Stu a few times but I don't think he understands "The Rules"
composite

Post by composite »

Fantasticmrmatt wrote:I flashed my headtorch on/off at Stu a few times but I don't think he understands "The Rules"
Or maybe he understands all to well.