The 1st Scotland trip of 2014 is approaching

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

The 1st Scotland trip of 2014 is approaching

Post by Mike »

So im off up the inner hebs for 14 days next sunday, cant decide whether to take the bob trailer ( little comforts ) or bikepack it ( lightweight ) which ever i decide on its gonna be a great trip with plenty of wildcamps on beachs thats for sure! Hoping for sun this time round as my last trip to Scotland was a very wet one indeed! Ill post some pics and a trip report on my return......happy days ahead :grin:
Charliecres

Re: The 1st Scotland trip of 2014 is approaching

Post by Charliecres »

Sounds like a great trip. I hope the weather gods smile on you.

I've got a few days in Torridon booked for early May and I can't wait.
Gari

Post by Gari »

hoping to get away to Torridon this weekend. I lived on Mull for a while, also Oban so know the area quite well. Where are you heading too?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Gari, im starting from Ardrossan over to Arran ( wanna av a look at the trails there ) then onto Kintyre across to Islay and Jurra then back onto the mainland upto Oban and over to Mull. Might try n get to Iona if i can time the ferries then oban back down to Bute n Ardrossan. I have 12 days to ride it. Any good trails on Mull?
Gari

Post by Gari »

The riding on Mull is mainly roads, there are a few trails but they are mostly out and backs. There is a nice ride up Glen Forsa that takes you up to Ben Talaidh and the Bothy at Tomsleidhe. It used to be a Croft and has a part in a great story about a downed Dakota in '44 that crashed into Ben Talaidh. You can still see the wreckage if you head up the burn, close to the saddle. Theres a nice little trail out to the point at Rubh an Laorin, overlooking Tiree and the Ardamurchan peninsular. NW of Tobermory in an area called Mishnish. Most of the mountain biking, such that it is on Mull, is in that area really. It's been a while but the roads were rougher than some trails I have ridden when I was there!!
Islay is great, wild camp at Saligo or Sanaigmore if you get a chance. Theres a great gallery/coffee shop at the latter well worth a visit. A distillery tour at Bruichladdich is a great distraction too. A trip to the southern tip overlooking the lighthouse at Port Wemyss(pronounced weems) is a great spot too. Most of these haunts were when I was a landscape photographer rather than a cyclist to be honest, so are probably prettier than they may be ridable!!
I would go lightweight to be honest as your never far away from somewhere to stock up or bars/coffee shops etc. Enjoy.
Last edited by Gari on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
composite

Post by composite »

Good luck with it Mike, I'm sure you'll have a good one! :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for that advice gari will look those spots up. Cheers neil can't wait now
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Did an April trip up there a few years ago, glorious weather and not a midge sight :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Jealous - me, no not a bit. This is the sort of trip dreams are made of for me!

Good luck with it and I hope the weather gods shine!