Video from my first bothy stay

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

Video from my first bothy stay

Post by composite »

Video from my first bothy stay at Nant Syddion.
https://vimeo.com/89870165

I bought myself an Olympus SH-21 as a light weight and small, budget bikepacking camera. It can shoot HD video so I thought I would have a go trying to do a whole video using just that and no GoPro. I'm actually very happy with this video especially considering that prior to making this I hadn't shot a single bit of video on that camera. Not even a test shot which to be fair is not exactly advisable generally speaking, but it turned out OK. :smile:

Full ride report here: http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/201 ... de-report/
summittoppler

Re: Video from my first bothy stay

Post by summittoppler »

Well if that was your first ever effort I can't wait to see the rest of your edits, thoroughly enjoyed it :-bd
Top effort :cool:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I concur.
Really enjoyed.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Me too but and it's a small but ... is there a genre on itunes called 'music for bikepacking films'? Everyone seems to be going for very mellow tunes, that to my partially deaf ears all sound very similar. I used to love the 'Earthed' series of films due to the seemingly random music selection. However, it was actually very clever and well thought out once you started paying attention.

I really liked the shot of the path through the back window of the bothy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

s8tannorm wrote:
My fave bit too.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Really enjoyable and so much action footage! I have a couple of questions - What do you have in the rucksack if you only went out for one night?

What editing software are you using.
composite

Post by composite »

summittoppler wrote:Well if that was your first ever effort I can't wait to see the rest of your edits, thoroughly enjoyed it :-bd
Top effort :cool:
Ahh sorry if my comment mislead you. It's not my first effort making a video, just my first with that camera.
s8tannorm wrote:Me too but and it's a small but ... is there a genre on itunes called 'music for bikepacking films'? Everyone seems to be going for very mellow tunes, that to my partially deaf ears all sound very similar. I used to love the 'Earthed' series of films due to the seemingly random music selection. However, it was actually very clever and well thought out once you started paying attention.

I think a lot of us have used folky stuff because it just fits with the vibe of bikepacking. Most bikepacking trips are pretty chilled I guess, so it goes that the music would be as well. In the interest of just trying to do something a little different I used the more electronic track in the second half but it is chilled as well.

I'm certainly going to be looking for something a bit more ethic for the Morocco trip. :smile:

Personally I think the music fitting is really important. I'll seldom use a track just because I like the tune, its got to go with the edit. I'm really into drum and bass, its my favorite music genre but I really struggle to make a bike video that would fit. The other thing is that the faster the music the quicker the edit would have to be so the more shots you would use in a smaller segment.
I did this edit for a competition a while ago and used some drum and bass as it's all full facers tearing it up on their gnarpoons getting rad so it works. I dunno about you but I've not seen many dudes pulling tail whips with a frame bag and handle bar roll. :grin:
https://vimeo.com/18793646
Farawayvisions wrote:Really enjoyable and so much action footage! I have a couple of questions - What do you have in the rucksack if you only went out for one night?

What editing software are you using.
Well I pretty much always have my camel back for water but in the bag was mostly camera gear. In addition to the Olympus I actually had a Canon DSLR and a GoPro plus tripod and accessories on me. :???: 3 cameras LOL. It was only once I was out there I decided to try to just use the new one for video. I took a few pics with the Canon and tried some time lapse with the GoPro but the conditions were never quite right for it to work properly.

Using Final cut Pro for the edit. I did the titles in After Effects. Been a while since I used any video graphics stuff like that, felt like a total noob again using it so kept it simple.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Thanks for the answers Composite, now to read the story. :grin:
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

It’s been quite a few years since I have used a hatchet and bow saw and I relished the experience of sawing and splitting.
The quote above is from the blog and I'm blown away here. Bothies? I see a picture of a detached 2 storey house in the country with a workshop (woodshed). Holey Moley, this looks like 5 star luxury and getting back to the quote, does it come equipped with a hatchet and a bow saw or do you carry those on the bike?

I like the idea of these bothy thingies. :-bd
Last edited by Farawayvisions on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think a lot of us have used folky stuff because it just fits with the vibe of bikepacking. Most bikepacking trips are pretty chilled I guess, so it goes that the music would be as well. In the interest of just trying to do something a little different I used the more electronic track in the second half but it is chilled as well.
I hear what you're saying Neil but I also think bikepacking is very much about being free, being happy and general good times, so maybe the music choices could help showcase that a bit more ... I'll be expecting WRT videos to feature 'The sun has got his hat on' :grin:
does it come equipped with a hatchet and a bow saw or do you carry those on the bike?
Most come with an array of blunt cutting implements. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote: I hear what you're saying Neil but I also think bikepacking is very much about being free, being happy and general good times, so maybe the music choices could help showcase that a bit more ... I'll be expecting WRT videos to feature 'The sun has got his hat on' :grin:
I got a few other more up beat folky tunes for when the summer properly gets here. Just waiting for those proper summer smiles before I use them. :smile:
Ian

Post by Ian »

I liked lots of the footage :-bd but the electronic music didn't do much for me in the second half I'm afraid :|

I've got a ruck of decent tunes that I need to put some video to, but as Neil says, you've got to match the pace of the riding and editing to it to complete the effect.
Chew

Post by Chew »

:-bd
The tramp drinking tea shot at 2.30 did make me smile
Ian

Post by Ian »

I dunno about you but I've not seen many dudes pulling tail whips with a frame bag and handle bar roll.
Have you not met Fantasticmrmatt yet? :grin:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Great vid, i really enjoyed it :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nice one. My admiration, as always, to those who have the time and energy to make these. Going back and forth over the same ground multiple times to create each shot would drive me mental :grin:
composite

Post by composite »

Thanks for the kind words all. I enjoy making them so it's nice to know people enjoy watching them. :grin:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice vid from ya compact! But it seems like alot of FAFFAGE to me keep stop/starting and setting up? Think ill be giving the movie making a miss, but i enjoy watching so i guess it needs folks like yaself to have the dedication to keep doing them :-bd
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Brilliant video. As above, not sure if I could be bothered with the faffage myself, but truly inspiring to watch!
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Very nice. That looked like a great little trip
composite

Post by composite »

I was thinking about how much faffing there is earlier on actually. The last 2 videos I have done I have been able to be pretty self indulgent as I was on my own. Our early April trip will be with a group so it will be interesting to see how that goes with getting footage.

As I mentioned this one was made only with one camera and not a sports cam so it was all setups. I think mixing up on the bike GoPro stuff, which you can just get at any time quite easily, and a few "Money shots" off the bike that are more "set up", is the best way forwards to get enough variation. This way you hopefully still make a video but don't piss off your mates. :wink:

I was thinking back to this video I did almost exactly a year ago with a couple of mates while we were riding in the Isle of Man. https://vimeo.com/62724865
It was 2 GoPro's and my Canon DSLR. We hardly did any faffing around tbh as we were just out having fun and riding trails and not really thinking about making a video. Some times we might session a good bit of trail or I might ride off ahead and wait for them to come by etc. but it all just worked out and not a lot of effort resulted in something good.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Absolutely excellent editing there. I imagine it to have been quite time consuming to set the camera up to get all those shots. Well done.