Can you tell what it is?

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Nick

Re: Can you tell what it is?

Post by Nick »

Yes I suspected what it was - I was thinking about something like this for my fargo and the wildcat mountain lion harness - was going to get just a strip of metal, drill it and bolt it to the hole at the top of the Fargo fork, this was if just running the straps around the top of the fork didn't work, which it did (but with a bit of rubbing).

I guess getting it bolted on nice and tight, and then careful tensioning of the straps will ensure it stays exactly horizontal, might be worth having something at the end of the tube to prevent straps from slipping off though.
nobby

Post by nobby »

s8tannorm wrote:
Bolts to the stem or fork crown to fix a bar bag harness to.
Well done that man ... This bolts onto the headtube. The distance between the fork crown and the bars is about 3 miles, so I needed something to take the place of the fork crown for the bottom straps.
Is it fitted yet? Can I see a picture, please?
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not yet Nobby. Hopefully the whole thing might be completed next week though ... just awaiting a few bits and for the frame to harden off so I can cut it back / polish it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
nobby

Post by nobby »

s8tannorm wrote:
Not yet Nobby. Hopefully the whole thing might be completed next week though ... just awaiting a few bits and for the frame to harden off so I can cut it back / polish it.
Ah, this is for the Raleigh; I should have realised from the three mile head tube reference.
I'm watching this with interest. My favourite road bike has 20" wheels and I was looking at off road 20"-ers a couple of years ago. I went and took a look at a something Rhino and one of the Pashley Moultons but a chap in the RSF said that he'd found the small wheels dropped too easily into potholes that wouldn't stop a standard wheel. Having gone over the handlebars and landed on my face (pre helmet days) by reason of a wheel sticking in a pothole I decided to mull it over, and I still am :smile:

When you've completed, and used, the bike successfully I may be inspired to convert mine. My off road is a lot simpler than yours :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm hoping it'll be capable off road but I don't expect it to be stunning :wink: I've made a few choices that may or may not prove wise but we'll see. I'm hatching a plan to build another but I need to track down a Dawes Kingpin frame for that one.
May the bridges you burn light your way
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Cant wait for the grand unveiling - obviously we'll have to toast your efforts appropriately - and maybe an idea for some retro decals?!

(Also available for dads birthdays apparently! )
nobby

Post by nobby »

I'm not sure my comment got onto the blog so I'll say it here: fantastic. :grin:
I didn't spot the harness oosit!