Luxe Sil-Rocket

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

Luxe Sil-Rocket

Post by Charliecres »

Anyone got any experience of one of these? They look pretty good to my inexpert eye but I'm sure others may see issues that I haven't considered or know of something better.

I like the idea of something that will pitch pretty much as a tent when required but also as a fairly flexible, decent sized tarp that's big enough for two at a pinch.

I also like the fact that it's available in the UK, so no risk of any nasty tax/handling charges on top of the price.

It seems fairly light for the price, which is the top end of my budget. But is there something better out there for this sort of money?

I'm planning a Scotland trip later this year so will definitely want midge (and weather) protection but would like to keep things airy and open if at all possible.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Luxe Sil-Rocket

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not tried one but I've given them a good coat of looking at. I really don't think you'd go wrong, it should fit your criteria nicely.

EDIT: I should like to add ... don't believe the 'you only need one pole' rubbish. Yes, it'll stand up but it'll be cramped and the inner won't fit as it should.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thanks for that, Stu. I've also looked at the BPWD Lair, which I think you've given good reviews in the past.

It's a bit more pricey if you add a nest, the clip-in bad weather beak and the possibility of customs charges, though ... And perhaps not so flexible? But there is something about the look of it that I like.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a bit more pricey if you add a nest, the clip-in bad weather beak and the possibility of customs charges, though ... And perhaps not so flexible? But there is something about the look of it that I like.
The Lair's a good shelter but as you say, once you start to add the extras it'll get costly. A Lunar Solo would be a good option given your criteria and work out cheaper than a Lair. The LE versions's a bit of a bargain: http://www.arklight-design.com/six-moon ... c2x8019799

May the bridges you burn light your way