Singlespeed Hubs / Freewheels

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Singlespeed Hubs / Freewheels

Post by FLV »

anyone know anything about singlespeed hubs?

I'm to be building some new different wheels soon and am thinking to build singlespeed specific ones.

I already have a hope SS/Trails hub and like it. nice and simple to service etc etc.

For the screw on freewheel type, am I right in thinking that you can get a relatively good value / cheapish freewheel for it?
I would have thought the hub itself would be cheaper than a hope due to having no freewheel mechanism in there, but that dosnt seem to be the case!
Does anyone know anything about the DMR ss hub with standard size freewheel mount?

Any knowledge would be appreciated!

Ta
jameso

Re: Singlespeed Hubs / Freewheels

Post by jameso »

I used the DMR revolver (a KT hub, same as a genesis OE hub) for a couple of years, no issues at all. Bearings lasted a lot longer than my Hope SS hub! But there's not many options for cheap+good FWs. Shimanos last ok if you feed some oil into them but the sealing is non-existent and they can sound awful. WI seem the preferred option (not used one here) but I'd hope the teeth wear well. If you can get parts for the WI they're prob worth the £80-odd as Shimano's aren't worth £30 for off-road use imo.
Singlespeedpunk

Post by Singlespeedpunk »

There are pretty much 2 options for reliable, servicable singlespeed rear wheels:

White Industries freewheel and a good screw-on rear hub (Surly, DMR, Phil Wood, Paul...)

Hope SS - take some spare pawls and springs in a little ziploc bag if you are paranoid. Use a nice wide-base sprocket like Surly or VeloSolo.

Shimano freewheels are a PoS, Tensile trials freewheels are better but you might as well spend a little more on a WInd one and get more choice of teeth and spare parts.
FLV

Post by FLV »

cheers guys. Looks like theres no real 'cheap' option thats worthwhile then.

I'll look into a few of the suggestion and see if theres any thats in the budget!
FLV

Post by FLV »

well, a bit of hunting tells me that its an expensive proposition!

I dont want a nutted hub cos I really object to carrying a spanner (I know, but I dont wanna)
So that leaves me with spending 150 - 200 squid.
I'm not sure I can justify that!
Ian

Post by Ian »

My Paul SS hub and a White Industries freewheel has served me very well over the last 15 months on the Kite. Beyond the initial outlay, it's been good value as I've not needed to touch it since last spring when I changed the freewheel bearings. By comparison, I've been through many more sets of bearings and pawl springs in my Hope hub :|
Gari

Post by Gari »

The new Surly hubs have Hex bolts, the axles are also retro fit able if a hex key is a little more acceptable :D
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I don't see much advantage in using an SS-specific hub. Yes, you get a less dished wheel but when has dishing ever caused a problem? Not for me.

If it was me and I was building on a budget I'd get a Switch Evo hub from Superstar. I've had a couple of these and they've been as good as Hope. In theory, they are just as easy to service but I've never needed to.

They do a singlespeed version which, I believe, has a stubby cassette-style freehub body, rather than a screw on jobbie.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Same here. Have used superstar's normal hubs without issue and a mate has the SStar SS specific hubs, again no hassles. My inbred has the wheelset from a 'dale SS which has a formula hub with the dinky freehub on it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Surly ulta new hubs look nice but £100 for a hub, plus a wedge for a freewheel has ruled them out for this times build.
I'm watching a Hope SS one on ebay and whilst I take on board that they may need more TLC I wouldnt have to fork out for the freewheel as I have a cog already.

We'll see.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If it's of interest I have a Spot SS hub built into a 26" wheel with a new 18t Shimano screw one fitted?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Mmm, how much? As no one seems to want my Hummingbird maybe I should build it back up!!
Posted to highlands BTW. cheers