MYOG - Clone Burner

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Anthony

MYOG - Clone Burner

Post by Anthony »

I've played with various stove's this year and I have to say the Caldera Cone has been by far and away the most reliable, fuel efficient, weatherproof and stable of the lot and is definately now my default choice. The windshield isn't the easiest to pack, but fortunately it wraps neatly around a waterbottle, which in turn slots perfectly into my ti-mug.

The burner that comes with the kit is a chimney style burner and according to the litrature that came with it has been researched to be the best design of stove for the oxygen-starved cone set-up. I can see why, it produces a fierce central flame which hits the middle of the base of the mug/pot and then spreads around and slightly up the sides. The side jet pop-can burners seem to direct heat to the sides of the pot rather than under the base, even with a 700ml wide based ti-mug.

But, I trod on the original burner that came with the kit :oops: It's still made from a red-bull and standard 330ml pop-can but also has a large aluminium base that I can't recognise. Unfortunately it's quite fragile and they cost a whopping £10 to replace so I set-to making my own.

The outer sleeve is a beer can, base is a Kitikat tin base and the central inner pot is an aluminium aerosol pot that had to be selected to be the exact size to slot into the inner ring of the beer can. This means it's a few grams heavier than the original, but far stronger. Although it's twin wall, the meths stays in the central pot. The holes are simply to allow air to be drawn through, there is no priming required.

Being designed to be used in conjunction with a cone it obviously has to be used with a pot support, you can't put your pan directly on the burner.

I've been using it now for a couple of weeks and it's been great, I even treated it to a lick of paint! It seems to burn slightly longer than the original, so I suspect I could open the vents up a little to create an even stronger flame for a quicker boil.

If anyone is interested I'll pop up some manufacture drawings.
Anthony

Re: MYOG - Clone Burner

Post by Anthony »

LOL, if you spot me in the reflection in my kettle, there's points available for recognising the T-shirt :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If anyone is interested I'll pop up some manufacture drawings.
I'm interested, it's a MYOG meths stove so I'm always interested ... I'm like a less odd looking *Keith Flint ;)

The Rodir is a central burner and I can't believe how quickly that boils although it does need a pot of substantial dimensions :shock: Reckon they'd be fantastic mated up to a cone clone.

*if you no understand, google is your friend.

EDIT: WRT 2011
May the bridges you burn light your way
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Correct Stuart :D

I'll do some more pics then........

Is 'Keith' a firestarter reference or is he renowned stove tinkerer?

I've just looked through some of my very old photobucket pics, being a bike man there is a bonus point if you can tell me what this was before I turned it into a marmite track/streetfighter/cafe-racer-

Ian

Post by Ian »

Ignore this post, I didn't read the stuff above properly
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My bike days are long over but ... it's obviously a v4 Honda. Doesn't look big enough for an RC30 (oh I loved them) so NC30 perhaps?

Yes, Keith Flint the rather strange looking bloke who sang about starting fires ... he also has a spell of racing motorbikes too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

My bike days are long over
Mine too :( You were correct though, it was an NC30.

The photos of the stove during production appear to have been deleted :evil: on the plus side I have done a drawing!!

The Kiticat tin is specific in that it has rings pressed up into it that correspond with both the beer can and the areosol base so the gluing process easier and stronger.