Cairngorms - Corrour Bothy next week

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Cairngorms - Corrour Bothy next week

Post by Dan_K »

Heading up on the coach on Sunday night and hoping to walk to the Corrour bothy on Monday and stay there Monday night (25th) and Tuesday night (using it as a base for a circular hike) before making my way back over weds and then staying in Aviemore on weds night.
If anyone is around and fancies meeting up at all, let me know.
Gari

Re: Cairngorms - Corrour Bothy next week

Post by Gari »

Hi Dan, I may be game for joining you depending on work etc. I shall PM you over the weekend to see how the week looks. If you want to drop some stuff off while on the hill just let me know.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Excellent Gari. Let me know...
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Setting off tonight. I'll be sticking to the loose plan that I previously mentioned unless the weather turns etc in which case, i'll head into the forest or to Ryvoan bothy.

Here's a link to my spot page in case anyone wants to meet up etc:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... jPWZQFLOAK
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Well, that was eventful. Conditions were pretty rubbish for walking - wet snow that wasn't frozen enough to walk on. Did a 14 mile walk out to the bothy from Aviemore and then back again the following day. Got the bothy to myself (and a couple of mice!). Snow was thigh deep in places where it had drifted which made tough going as I had a heavy winter pack. Managed to break 2 trekking poles and a pair of microspikes.
Revelation X quilt was nice and warm (didn't take any firewood into the bothy). Coupled it with a thermarest prolite plus mat and it was nice and warm. Gonna swap out my pocket rocket stove for a Kovea Spider which should work better in the cold weather.
Ruined my feet walking that far in the conditions and so was able to walk anymore after - got some pretty minging blood blisters! Overnight 12 hour coach ride was as miserable as ever but you can't grumble for £48 return and it keeps the days travel free.
Bumped into Gari in Aviemore (there aren't that many fat bikes up there!) - was nice to have a brew and a catch up with him.

Here are some pics anyway,,,,

Untitled by DKNWHY, on Flickr

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

The snow may of given you a rubbish walk, but it does produce some nice pictures. Sounds like a trip that you'll remember for the next few years :)