Highland trail 550!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Re: Highland trail 550!!

Post by ianfitz »

Sorry, yes need an additional device to smooth the current.

I'm using one by kemo 172n which is iPhone compatible. There are a couple of tiny kemo ones that will run less fussy devices/batteries like garmin GPS etc.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

No one else feeling like this then?

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2014/03/scunnered.html
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I went through the same thing last year.

You seem to know what to do:
"Maybe I should have a break from it all for a week or so. Do a bit of walking, rafting, or just jump in the van for a wee drive and plant myself somewhere scenic for a day or two. I'll feel guilty as hell for doing so - after all it's all missed "training" - but it might get my head back together."

I wasn't on my bike 3 1/2 week before the inaugural HT (albeit some hiking). So I put in two wonderful days with total of 200 km to get to Tyndrum. That lifted my spirits and took my through. I guess good spirits are more important than few hours more training.

Good luck
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Not always easy Colin but can you get someone to join you on a long day or overnighter? Someone to share with can be a help. Or go somewhere different like Englandshire. Change as good as a rest and all that.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Measuring progression is important to maintain motivation in my experience. This can be difficult if you ride on your own a lot (as I do). I've not felt on top of my riding most of this year, but the last few rides I've done allowed me to compare directly present fitness with past performances, and showed my fitness is better than I otherwise perceived. The result is I feel a lot happier and can't wait to get out to put in more to see further improvements.

As an aside, I did the Battle on the Beach race at the weekend. I've not done an XC type race in ages, but it was great fun. Really pushed myself for over two hours in a way I would never have done on a normal ride, and was pleased with performance. As Blackhound says, change is a good as a rest.
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Three interesting interviews about the HTR550 over the blog: http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... nside.html
Chew

Post by Chew »

Wildcat wrote:Three interesting interviews about the HTR550 over the blog: http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... nside.html
Thats got me excited and i'm not even riding :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

it both excited me, and reminded me a little...

and 9kg.... for a whole bike....

*returns to spreadsheet*
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yeah, 9kg for the bike :shock:
Nowhere near enough in my opinion - it'll be pinging off rocks all over the place ;)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ian wrote:Yeah, 9kg for the bike :shock:
Nowhere near enough in my opinion - it'll be pinging off rocks all over the place ;)
Having gone from the extreme of a pretty heavy bike, to a pretty light bike (both hardtail XCish)... the two cases are plough through or whizz over. I prefer whizz over - which is closer to the 9g case :wink:

(All from personal experience, my experience may not necessarily be the same as anyone elses and I have often been known to be wrong, T&Cs apply)

I'll be interested to see everyones different setup for this - which will go hand in hand with race strategy I guess :geek:
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'll be doing a trial with the exact set up I intend to use next weekend. I'll photo it :grin:

and weigh it of course :geek:

I know my bike is already 11kg though, and isnt getting much lighter without one or all of the following:

- Ditch the SID's for carbon rigids
- Build some expensive wheels (I have hopes / Arch EX's now)
- Fit silly light tyres (currently on 620g 2.2's)

None of which is happening!

I guess I could save a sniff of weight with XTR race brakes, but only about 100g over XT's, I might be tempted, but unlikely or I'd have done it by now.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

All about rotating weight and weight distribution over absolute weight innit :ugeek:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

FLV wrote:I'll be doing a trial with the exact set up I intend to use next weekend. I'll photo it :grin:

and weigh it of course :geek:

I know my bike is already 11kg though, and isnt getting much lighter without one or all of the following:

- Ditch the SID's for carbon rigids
- Build some expensive wheels (I have hopes / Arch EX's now)
- Fit silly light tyres (currently on 620g 2.2's)

None of which is happening!

I guess I could save a sniff of weight with XTR race brakes, but only about 100g over XT's, I might be tempted, but unlikely or I'd have done it by now.

Not sure what mine weighs now. Would guess similar.

I'm not going to compromise tyres or rims to save a bit of weight. Not for this event anyway.

I'm in the same boat with forks too, the rebas are staying!!
slarge

Post by slarge »

I did exaggerate a little - it's actually 9.2kg, but the 20kg of luggage will stop it pinging everywhere :wink:

The spec is quite sensible as well - Reba SL forks, Novatec/Crest wheels, RRalph rear and Nobby Nic front, plus Thomson seatpost and Mt Zoom/KCNC bars and stem. Brakes are Hope Evo Race (which were a bargain 2nd hand (but unused)). I've been thinking of going 1 x 9 to take another 200g, but will probably leave that comfort blanket of lots of gears.

It's the same weight as the 26inch hardtail it replaces, so it's done pretty well - and I will see how good it is this weekend up at Whinlatter.

Ian seems to be doing quite well in the lightweight kit stakes at the moment (I'm not stalking honest, but have noticed quite a few new toys in the "Postman" thread!)
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Fit silly light tyres
I've experience of running lightweight tyres in races. Great in theory, not so in practice.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Richpips wrote:
Fit silly light tyres
I've experience of running lightweight tyres in races. Great in theory, not so in practice.
I'd agree. Bad enough in a short race but a multiday 550+ event. Nope.

You need to finish!
FLV

Post by FLV »

I can almost feel a what tyres thread emerging...
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

What about chain lube when you're out for 560 miles ?
How many would you carry ? eg Finish Line Wet 2oz (60ml) .. does weigh about 2oz
Or the bigger one 4oz - I'm assuming less weight of the container per oz in a bigger one...

(sorry about this, put it down to the weather and I only got to bed at 4am, so having a rest day !)
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'll be taking a fullish bottle of pro gold I should think. 3.5/4 oz

I find it dosnt clag up the chain like wet lube but is better than dry.

Actually could do with a slightly better container for it.
Ian

Post by Ian »

FLV wrote:I can almost feel a what tyres thread emerging...
Maxxis Ikons. Discussion closed :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

slarge wrote:Ian seems to be doing quite well in the lightweight kit stakes at the moment (I'm not stalking honest, but have noticed quite a few new toys in the "Postman" thread!)
I've hardly bought anything this year!
(apart from an OMM smock that's lost in the post, a Terra Nova discovery lite bivi bag which isn't even in the bloody post yet, and a Klymit mat that arrived last week)
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ian wrote:
FLV wrote:I can almost feel a what tyres thread emerging...
Maxxis Ikons. Discussion closed :wink:

Ah, but which ones. There are many
Ian

Post by Ian »

The ones I used were just the basic folding variety. Aidan also ran Ikons, but which ones exactly, I'm not sure.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

From the other tyre tread, err thread, I mentioned that I only got 60 miles from a racey 3c ikon before putting a slit in it. A mate has had similar issues. The light ones might be a bit too light!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I'm riding an El Mariachi again this year, but a different one now as a hardtail instead of rigid. Racing Ralphs most likely, and I'm going to lighten up the stock build where possible. It'll still be heavier than the bike I rode last year due to the forks though.

Training is mixed. I've been getting some decent length days in, but no overnighters to test my kit out. I'll be weighting up the bike fully for all my future riding though. However, as has been mentioned before, training in pushing a fully loaded bike up hills will be useful.