Backpack wearers ... choice or necessity?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Backpack wearers ... choice or necessity?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you choose to wear a backpack in preference to carrying your gear some other way or is it just a matter of using what you have?

I noticed that this months WMB has an 'adventure cycling' feature and the only carrying options they mention are backpacks. There's no mention of frame bags, bar harness or even a rack of some sort and it got me thinking. So, if you wear a backpack - why?
May the bridges you burn light your way
didnothingfatal

Re: Backpack wearers ... choice or necessity?

Post by didnothingfatal »

I think it's a necessity unless you have a monster trailer to haul behind your bike and think 129lb is a decent bike weight to pedal around :lol:
Kong29

Re: Backpack wearers ... choice or necessity?

Post by Kong29 »

I used a backpack(out of necessity) with a bar harness on this years wrt, I was luckily able to get a harness off wildcat in time otherwise my pack would have killed me. As for 129lb trailers my fellow rider on the wrt found it was great for losing weight as he came back over a half stone lighter ; ). Having said that my Osprey talon 33 was really good as was my harness. I think a full susser limits your choices though regarding frame bags, I'll get one for my hardtail( when I get it : )