-4m to 1344m and 500 miles.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

-4m to 1344m and 500 miles.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I recieved a press release email yesterday ... it involves, cycling (a long way), mountains and generosity, so I thought I'd share it here. Hopefully it'll be of interest.

In just a few days Cumbrian climber Joe Beaumont will set out on a 500 mile ride from the lowest point in the UK to the highest. What's unusual about this is that Joe is very lucky to be alive, having sustained multiple injuries down one side of his body and spending time in intensive care after a climbing accident in 2011. So whilst still wearing an Ilizarov frame on his leg, designed to lengthen his bone, he is going to ride 500 miles and then climb Ben Nevis, via the infamous Tower Ridge.
Joe is taking on this challenge to raise money and awareness of Mountain Rescue the organisation that saved his life. Dom Bush from Land and Sky Media will be there to tell his story and capture the expedition as it happens. The film of Joe's journey is due to premiere at Kendal Mountain Festival in November 2013.

The ride has only been made possible from contributions from it's major sponsor Alpkit, and the outdoor community via Kickstarter funding. Other sponsors including the BMC (British Mountaineering Council) and Lyon Equipment are helping build awareness for the project and provide necessary equipment for this unique expedition.

"Using Kickstarter to help fund this project has allowed the outdoor community to become much involved in the project than a few coins in collection box would ever do. By reaching the funding target not only does it mean we have the greenlight financially but proof that real people want to help out and support Mountain Rescue."

Nick Smith, Alpkit

The expedition starts in Holme Fen on Sunday the 8th of September and finishes on top of Ben Nevis just as soon as they can.

Background Information
http://www.joebeaumont.com/the-premise/
May the bridges you burn light your way