Automated External Defibrillator bikepqcking version!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Automated External Defibrillator bikepqcking version!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just did my annual life support course yesterday. Trainer showed us his personal defib which he carries to Rugby matches with him (his mate had a heart attack at the Rugby some years ago with him and another colleague getting on the mates chest/CPR quickly... meaning the mate walked outta hospital within 9 days fully functional!). After his mate had a cardiac arrest he bought em one each.

£300 at the time of purchase and £100 annual membership with which they swap it for a fully-batteried and serviced one. Sad that CELLaed have put the price up to £400 due to rising demand (and the yearly sub to £160 from £100, which is what he currently pays).

https://cellaed.io/uk/products

Anyway, I can confirm that it would most likely fit in a larger half frame bag (width of a large hand span) and I was thinking of buying one. Maybe when the patent runs out and other start making the same. Good idea for someone to have one when on massive group rides IMHO as you never know who's life could be saved (with quick defibrillation/reset of the heart musles/electrical rythm).

Thought I'd share. My nearest defib is at least 10 minutes (return) run away and hence why I'm still considering!! Pity some places have access much closer to home :sad: and that CELLaed seems to be monopolising instead of really focusing on saving more lives with the product (by bringing the prices down instead of up). But...

Your nearest defib can be found here https://www.defibfinder.uk/
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri May 10, 2024 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearlegged

Re: Automated External Defibrillator bikepqcking version!

Post by Bearlegged »

Useful website that Shaf, thanks for sharing. :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

As someone who has a history of heart issues this is a good idea. Never realise they could be purchased.

Also good to know where the nearest is. Less than half a mile from home which is good to know.
redefined_cycles

ton wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:17 pm As someone who has a history of heart issues this is a good idea. Never realise they could be purchased.

Also good to know where the nearest is. Less than half a mile from home which is good to know.
Ton. A defib is literally so easy to use. Just remember the positioning and maybe a course or two will help. Early defib (if the defibrillator tells you to) and half decent chest compressions, saves lives... simples.

If you go on the BHF website there should be decent learning materials and vids. Maybe even Vinny Jones doing the Staying Alive song :grin:
ton

Post by ton »

Done a couple of courses when I was working.
Defib and Cpr. Would panic in a emergency though I reckon.
redefined_cycles

I used to be the same Ton. But, if you just think of the ABCDE approach as well as the fact that, 'it can't really get any worse (so try to relax a bit)' you'll always be amazing. Usually in hospital when we see a good-survival after (out of hospital) cardiac arrest, the back story will always be some sort of decent chest compressions by a local or bystander.

Imagine having a defib closeby (and being comfortable in attaching it), the amount of lives people could save due to early/good intervention out in the community could be phenomenal. The Unversity of Warwick I think have the RevivR online course [ https://www.bhf.org.uk/revivr ] and they had this to say in Jan of this year https://warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents/pre ... 37670a79af

If anyone doesn't have time to read, the 2 key points are that in about 70% of out of hospital cardiac arrest cases there is good bystander CPR/chest compressions. But, the downside is that in only 10% of cases a defib is used (I assume due to lack of access or people being comfy with it).

The chain of survival is pictured below which might hint at why more defibs and more people willing to try to use one is a good thing. The automated (maybe not this bikepacking version as it's too small, but I'll find a vid shortly) ones will actually talk to you and will only deliver a shock if it's indicated.

Scary stuff, I know :smile:
redefined_cycles

Sorry, it's sideways. But shows the point why this new portable device is amazing (pity about the miney hungrys who are marketing it and making it harder to afford, despite more demand/sales).
redefined_cycles

What a wonderful vid (ignore the way he's performing chest compressions as it's a live person and you wouldn't wanna risk breaking any ribs in this case) that only 189 people have viewed.