Hadrians Wall Ravensglass to South Shields

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Hadrians Wall Ravensglass to South Shields

Post by JohnClimber »

On Tuesday and Wednesday I had a quiet work window, so I went up north and rode the Sustrans Hadrian's Wall route number 72.

It starts at Ravenglass in South West Cumbria and finishes at South Shields

I left my car at 11am and got back to it at 7pm the next evening, with an over night bivi at Birdoswald on Hadrians wall, so 188 riding miles, a coast to coast as a bonus and 3 train rides back home it was done in 32 hours.

I took my GoPro and took a few photos which I've put on this little video clip, I hope you enjoy it, if not tough.

http://vimeo.com/72997660
Ray Young

Re: Hadrians Wall Ravensglass to South Shields

Post by Ray Young »

Having previously lived in Newcastle for many years I recognise some of that, nice one.
2x10

Post by 2x10 »

Did that 3 years ago, but took a LOT of kit, br :D ought back happy memories!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Spenny bridge in Carlisle is just round the corner from where I grew up. :D
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I'm thinking about the C2C from Whitehaven then riding north to return on the Hadrians Wall route next year in a short notice good weather none windy window. ;)
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Resurrecting this as dug it out having recalled seeing it a while ago and currently thinking of using this route to get a C2C in without having to get transport to the start. Ride from Durham over to South Shields, follow the Hadrian's Cycleway over to the west coast, and then ride the C2C to Sunderland before rolling back home. Just need to convince the wife that it's not a stupid idea, so I'll show her the video!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Don't do all the way down to Ravensglass, turn left at Whitehaven and ride home to Durham on the C2C.

Be warned this route is 289 miles, here's one I did earlier http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Routes/4172

Enjoy
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Been looking at the routes this afternoon. Current plan is from Durham head across to Consett, then over to Ebchester, both on NCN routes. At Ebchester, cut across to Stocksfield, picking up the Hadrian's Cycleway and following it as far as Whitehaven. Then from Whitehaven, do the full C2C to Sunderland, then ride back to Durham.

The Durham-Whitehaven section works out at just over 150 miles, which we're looking at doing over 3 days. Then a B&B in Whitehaven for a night of relative luxury before heading back east.