Mad quilt idea, perhaps!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

Mad quilt idea, perhaps!

Post by fatbikerbill »

So I was out on a bivvy last night, oddly using the same system as Jamesco, a PhD minimus and a cumulus 150, except I had the PhD on the inside.

I had forgotten to bring any thermals so was a bit brisk whilst cooking and chilling in my shorts. So I slipt in to my cumulus, hitching it up to walk about. I appreciate it needs a video, sorry to disappoint!

Anyway, so I had an idea. If it had a suitable double set of poppers down the edge for at least half the length you could wear them as trousers.

Is that a totally mad idea? Apart from looking like a complete dork, but who cares if you are warm, I can't see the problem at the moment.

Photo from the bivvy (hopefully)
https://imgur.com/a/6p6D5Ps
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Mad quilt idea, perhaps!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think you're the first to think of that Bill, so I'm fairly sure it'd work.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Although as a long term review of this system; it actually creates more faff than it solved. Getting in and out of the skirt was more faff than quickly popping out of a quilt. Fun project still.

That square however is fantastic. Fits in any pocket, quickly adds considerable warmth by stuffing it down your front side. Extremely similar concept to the Albion burner?
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Not a mad idea at all. :geek:
Down jacket, trousers and socks were my pyjamas-of-choice (over my cycle clothing) at the WRT.

Worked a treat :-bd
May you always have tail wind.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Other than the fact it weights a ton (I have one, don't ask), you're essentially after a Selk’bag.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.