Frame bag hydration hose solutions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Frame bag hydration hose solutions

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm not a fan of carrying water on my person, or bottles, so use a bladder in a frame bag most of the time. I've never quite found the ideal way to route and attach the hose so it's accessible for drinking and not flopping around too much.

For a long time I just attached it to the bar with two o-rings (after improvising it as an emergency solution). A while ago I found an old retractable ski pass holder which worked really well attached to the top tube - you can pull it out to drink, but it retracts and keeps the tube nicely tucked in - but unfortunately the string snapped. I've made use of the magnets you get for rucksack straps, which are fine until you need them (when it gets rough) and then they're not strong enough.

I'll probably replace the ski pass holder if I don't think of anything better (they're cheap and the last one was many years old) but wondered if anyone had any better solutions?
fatbikephil

Re: Frame bag hydration hose solutions

Post by fatbikephil »

I spent years with the hose wrapped and granny knotted round the GPS mount - fine with the RAM mount but not with the standard garmin....
After much fannying around I tied a bit of elastic chord round the front of the loops (bars that is) with a dangly bit - I feed the hose through this loop and round again. to extract just pull on the loose end which stretches the elastic enough to free the hose. Still a little faffy but secure
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I think I follow you Phil.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Neodymium magnets might work. Likely stronger than what you’ve previously tried. I’ve not used them for this application but seems to me they might do the trick.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Neodymium magnets might work. Likely stronger than what you’ve previously tried. I’ve not used them for this application but seems to me they might do the trick.
I have a clip that uses magnets, Google magnetic hydration hose clip and they turn up in various guises.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

riderdown wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:22 am
I have a clip that uses magnets, Google magnetic hydration hose clip and they turn up in various guises.
I've had a couple of the clip ones designed for hoses and they're the ones I don't find strong enough. Neo is a good shout... I've actually considered it before, but as a motor designer by trade, I'm acutely aware of the impact of their production and cringe a bit when I see them being used for frivolous stuff, but we really are talking about a drop in the ocean of electric vehicle motors, for example, so I should probably get over that.