What is ádventure?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: What is ádventure?

Post by whitestone »

I think these days the Eiger North Face in summer is verging on suicidal rather than adventuresome! :lol:

Really not sure what "adventure" is - it seems like it gets applied to anything that isn't pre-packaged or has the possibility of getting as high as type 1.1 fun. Often goes hand in hand with "this is the world's hardest/toughest..." BS.

A lot does depend on your experience - many years ago we went to Sardinia along with several friends. Rather than just do climbing/lying on the beach we decided to have a day's "organised" activity, the women chose horse riding whilst us blokes went canyoning. Canyoning in Sardinia is basically abseiling down a gully that might see water once in a blue moon. The guide was somewhat perplexed after the first abseil - "you don't seem very excited?" "We're climbers. He's thirty years experience, he's got twenty five, he's got twenty and I've got twenty five". It turned out that the women had more of an adventure as the horses were Arabian race horses and apparently were a bit of a handful even for the two horse owning equestrian amongst them! :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6eg8LMMBZr ... tiZ2p3bWE0
One of Europe's biggest events was cancelled yesterday due to heavy rain in north east Cataluña, 700 odd disappointed riders. I think the pic above about sums it up.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

pistonbroke wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:05 am https://www.instagram.com/p/C6eg8LMMBZr ... tiZ2p3bWE0
One of Europe's biggest events was cancelled yesterday due to heavy rain in north east Cataluña, 700 odd disappointed riders. I think the pic above about sums it up.
I found it amusing when so many lost their sh1t over that muddy edition of Unbound Gravel. To me, and in relation to the 'what is …' question, that could be what turned the event into an adventure.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The UK would have no off road riders if we refused to ride in mud
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:21 pm Just interested on where people draw the line with adventure. Used to think it was just going out all day doing something fun, then thought it was something that happened to you whilst out (ie unplanned) but now thinking it’s more type 2/type 3 fun behaviour (ie feeling uncomfortable whilst out/pushing yourself to see the consequence)
I'm the other way round. The more (what you'd probably call) adventures I go on, the less I believe I need multi week trips to really feel out there. Lost soul, scared, fighting fears, pushing my body and mental health and all that 'epic' stuff to feel adventure. No need. Not any more.

I'm convinced living through adventures with a certain regularity makes you numb in a way that self depreciation (sound negative to you? I don't think it is), acceptance of the fragile self give a clarity for pure hedonism.
Eventually this then trickles into everyday life, when you find a spark (what ever it may release/lead to) in the petty things. Adventure isn't a thing. It's a mindset.
Be curious and always give in to your curiosity.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

pistonbroke wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:05 am https://www.instagram.com/p/C6eg8LMMBZr ... tiZ2p3bWE0
I see that bikepacking is banging on about this. 2019 Highland Trail - weather forecast is for it to be horrible, be prepared. (I was but still wimped out)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Alpinum wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:11 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:21 pm Just interested on where people draw the line with adventure. Used to think it was just going out all day doing something fun, then thought it was something that happened to you whilst out (ie unplanned) but now thinking it’s more type 2/type 3 fun behaviour (ie feeling uncomfortable whilst out/pushing yourself to see the consequence)
I'm the other way round. The more (what you'd probably call) adventures I go on, the less I believe I need multi week trips to really feel out there. Lost soul, scared, fighting fears, pushing my body and mental health and all that 'epic' stuff to feel adventure. No need. Not any more.

I'm convinced living through adventures with a certain regularity makes you numb in a way that self depreciation (sound negative to you? I don't think it is), acceptance of the fragile self give a clarity for pure hedonism.
Eventually this then trickles into everyday life, when you find a spark (what ever it may release/lead to) in the petty things. Adventure isn't a thing. It's a mindset.
Be curious and always give in to your curiosity.
Not sure if I quite got across what I meant by ‘feeling uncomfortable/pushing yourself’ quite clearly. I was more thinking head space rather than a physical pain

ie Previous winter I went up Moel Siabod, great on a summers day but during that particular day in winter, low cloud, deep snow etc Heading up (solo fwiw) the cloud dropped and the weather worsened, at one stage I though of heading back as navigation was getting more difficult and the footprints were disappearing.

Anyways, I decided to press on just to see how much further I could go, felt a little out off my comfort zone but not massively so (more so it’s been a while since I was out in these sort of conditions). Cutting a story short, manages to summit, have a snack and then navigated my way back.

It felt adventurous or daring carrying on when I did but it didn’t feel like an adventure either during the walk nor did it afterwards. Does this make a little bit more sense in where I’m coming from?

Second example of my other type of ‘@dventures’
Last year you may recall I bought an OS map of my local area and decided to see how many squares I could tick off. Lots of potential for @dventures and even exploring but never once did it feel like an @dventure whilst out and I definitely didn’t feel like an explorer :lol: Not really sure how I would describe visiting these new to me places, what I do know is that I had a great time seeing new places and riding in areas I didn’t know about