New Front Harness / Longer Bag?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

New Front Harness / Longer Bag?

Post by Richard G »

Hi all.

I've got a couple of a fairly long trips coming up (7-10 days) and I've realised that my old front bag setup isn't really going to work out (Wildcat Lion / Exped Blue). I've noticed that I'm getting a decent amount of rub on my front wheel when descending, and whilst I don't think it's going to end catastrophically, I do find the noise adds to my stress levels.

So I'm looking for a front harness that either sits a little higher (like this, but you know, actually available: https://bikepacking.com/gear/rogue-pand ... ss-review/ ) or maybe using the same harness with some modifications to increase the height a bit, and / or a longer bag (I've got a good amount of handlebar length to play with).

Do longer bags even exist? I've always used Exped bags, but I'm thinking instead of the 35cm x 18cm of the Red, I'd want more like 40-45cm (narrow and long).
PaulE

Re: New Front Harness / Longer Bag?

Post by PaulE »

I think the lomo one is longer? https://www.lomo.co.uk/products/12l-dou ... d-dry-bag/

Pretty hefty though, I've got one in the drawer but never actually needed to use it yet! If you're near Sheffield you're welcome to give it a go
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I will also suggest Lomo. Long, thin and very tough ... obviously a bit heavier though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Wow, when I saw heavier I figured like, 30 or 40g... not 250g more! :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Revelate Saltyroll - https://backcountry.scot/product/revela ... saltyroll/ but it looks like Andy's out of stock of most Revelate stuff. For double the price you could have the Pronghorn - https://backcountry.scot/product/revela ... rn-drybag/

I know what you mean about sizing/shape - it's like the manufacturers have just thought: "bigger? let's make it wider as well as longer".

The Saltyroll works fine with the Wildcat Lion harness, you can fit the straps through the webbing loops on the bag to ensure there's no slippage even though they don't quite line up with each other.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bleh, that Pronghorn is a spicy price, but it might just be what I'm after.

Edit - This one also seems long, but also on the heavier side.

https://restrap.com/products/dry-bag-double-roll

Generally just trying to keep as much weight off the front as possible.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

More weigh, more grip :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you have the space under your stem, one of these will support the bottom of the harness and will help keep it away from the head tube and front wheel -
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... -mm-0-deg/
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:47 pm
More weigh, more grip :wink:
Good call. I'll order a pizza! :lol:
fatbikephil wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:53 pm If you have the space under your stem, one of these will support the bottom of the harness and will help keep it away from the head tube and front wheel -
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... -mm-0-deg/
Based on my bag / bars that wouldn't go under it, it would push into the back of it. I mean it could help a little, but I think if I was modifying the Lion it would be to remove some of the sag from the straps at the top to pull it upwards a little.

I've tried putting a carbon pole across it, but it wasn't the best solution. This time I'm trying to come up with something before I get desperate! :lol:
Scud

Post by Scud »

I had same issue, various front rolls type affairs but slump after a while and hit front tyre, managed to stick hole in an expensive Apidura one.

I ended up with one of these, an expensive rescue. but it is a great bit of kit, and swaps between bikes in 1 minute, and i have switched to using a top loading bag instead (Swift industries Zeitgeist) and much prefer it, but even using front roll still, it was great, and you could easily slide poles or similar underneath.

Was handy to just use to nip to shops etc too

https://wholegraincycles.com/ - jack the rack
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

I went down the Salsa EXP Series Anything Cradle Side-Load Kit route having had the cradle recommended by a few folk and finding the whole kit for sale ex-demo and dirt cheap(ish). I really don't like how chunky it all seems, particularly compared to that Rogue Panda setup but it really does do the job of keeping everything secure and away from the wheel. The accompanying but available separately bag is the kinda size you're after.
Scud wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:29 pm I had same issue, various front rolls type affairs but slump after a while and hit front tyre, managed to stick hole in an expensive Apidura one.

I ended up with one of these, an expensive rescue. but it is a great bit of kit, and swaps between bikes in 1 minute, and i have switched to using a top loading bag instead (Swift industries Zeitgeist) and much prefer it, but even using front roll still, it was great, and you could easily slide poles or similar underneath.

Was handy to just use to nip to shops etc too

https://wholegraincycles.com/ - jack the rack
I've a still boxed and unused Jack the Rack I ought to get round to selling at some point if interested.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I do like the idea of those rack / bar options as obviously you can have them sit higher. I don't really have the time to come up with something myself though.

The JTR looks interesting, but is a little industrial for my purposes.

Should get Stu to knock something up in carbon! :cool:
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

PaulE wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:14 pm I think the lomo one is longer? https://www.lomo.co.uk/products/12l-dou ... d-dry-bag/

Pretty hefty though, I've got one in the drawer but never actually needed to use it yet! If you're near Sheffield you're welcome to give it a go
I have this bag. It's unashamedly utilitarian, utterly indestructible and 100% waterproof.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Another more DIY thing I've tried with some success is fixing a drj0n Double Trouble Triple to bar extensions, either full aero bars or mini ones as (really badly) pictured here. That works well to hold a roll up away from the wheel, and obviously doubles up as alternative hand position too, but the attachment points are kinda narrowly spaced. Attaching a couple of wider carbon poles could work in a similar fashion.

IMG_5514.jpeg
IMG_5514.jpeg (182.47 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Hyppy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:50 pm Another more DIY thing I've tried with some success is fixing a drj0n Double Trouble Triple to bar extensions, either full aero bars or mini ones as (really badly) pictured here. That works well to hold a roll up away from the wheel, and obviously doubles up as alternative hand position too, but the attachment points are kinda narrowly spaced. Attaching a couple of wider carbon poles could work in a similar fashion.

IMG_5514.jpeg
I've mounted a pole for a light in a similar way, but the attachment to the bars is a pain there as they're tapered.

I wonder if I can get some sort of tapered shim to make it work better (right now I have sort of "untapered" it with tape).
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Richard G wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:23 am I wonder if I can get some sort of tapered shim to make it work better (right now I have sort of "untapered" it with tape).
Tape never seems to hold up for long does it?

Here's the same setup but attached to full aero bars.
IMG_7815.jpeg
IMG_7815.jpeg (188.13 KiB) Viewed 394 times
ootini

Post by ootini »

The Blackburn Outpost standard front roll bag is very long and thin. I'll measure mine when I get home.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Been trying a Pronghorn here....very stable, just like it's harder-backed cousin that I used to run. Reminds me of a Wildcat harness.

I get all my front bar kit in the small PH (tent, poles, mat, gloves, down jacket and some other small odds 'n sods). Doesn't have the nice jacket elastic the sweetroll has, but has the clips to snap on a Rev front panel.

Edit: I've run Lomo up front before. Was good, but as stated, weighty.

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ootini wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 pm The Blackburn Outpost standard front roll bag is very long and thin. I'll measure mine when I get home.
Thanks, I'll see if I can find it online.
Scattamah wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:27 am Been trying a Pronghorn here....very stable, just like it's harder-backed cousin that I used to run. Reminds me of a Wildcat harness.
I like the look of it, it's just a bit spendy. I'm going to try and see if I can raise the Wildcat a bit this weekend, and if not maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Anyone know where I might be able to get high quality clamps like these?

I appreciate there's a million of them on ebay etc, but I've also snapped a number of them, so I know just how sh*t most of them are.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Richard G wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:36 pm Anyone know where I might be able to get high quality clamps like these?

My Oxford clamp (hinged rather than double clamped) has not budged since I attached it three years ago, even shimmed with bar tape to fit my small diameter handlebar. Light/GPS mounted to a single bar extender.
https://www.oxfordproducts.com/bicycle/ ... der_alloy/
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Dean wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:43 pm My Oxford clamp (hinged rather than double clamped) has not budged since I attached it three years ago, even shimmed with bar tape to fit my small diameter handlebar. Light/GPS mounted to a single bar extender.
https://www.oxfordproducts.com/bicycle/ ... der_alloy/
Thanks.