Hammock in the garden

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

belugabob

Hammock in the garden

Post by belugabob »

The idea of lazing in the hammock, at home, appeals to me.
However, my garden has no trees, and there are no strong and suitably spaced fenceposts, either, so I was thinking that one of those free standing hammock frames might be worth a try.

Has anybody done this, and have any advice?
Length between suspension points would seem to be the obvious thing to watch for...
whitestone

Re: Hammock in the garden

Post by whitestone »

We've got fruit trees so a bit easier, have even bivvied - obviously doesn't count for BAM.

As ever with hammocks Shug Emery on YouTube will have you covered. Here's his channel - https://www.youtube.com/@shugemery. Tensa poles are generally regarded as the best but I'm not sure if there's a UK distributor.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've got a hammock in the garden - it is indeed a lovely place to be on a sunny afternoon. I've put rings on the uprights of my covered deck to hang it from now, but it came with a stand of sorts: each end has two lengths of wood with an eye bolt through one end so they open out into an A-frame. The hammock hooks to the eye, and it's tensioned by a rope attached to an anchor that screws into the ground (very similar to those dog tethers). It all folds up pretty compactly for packing away. Would be very easy to make one.

Edit: took a little bit of searching to find a picture - they don't seem to be that common
https://www.sleepyhammock.co.uk/product ... ock-stand/
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:45 pm I've got a hammock in the garden - it is indeed a lovely place to be on a sunny afternoon. I've put rings on the uprights of my covered deck to hang it from now, but it came with a stand of sorts: each end has two lengths of wood with an eye bolt through one end so they open out into an A-frame. The hammock hooks to the eye, and it's tensioned by a rope attached to an anchor that screws into the ground (very similar to those dog tethers). It all folds up pretty compactly for packing away. Would be very easy to make one.

Edit: took a little bit of searching to find a picture - they don't seem to be that common
https://www.sleepyhammock.co.uk/product ... ock-stand/
Thanks - I've seen those A frame arrangements, but I don't have the room for the guylines, which is why I was interested in the freestanding frames
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Ah, yeah that arrangement does need more space. Is there anything (e.g wall) you could attach one end to?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:30 pm Ah, yeah that arrangement does need more space. Is there anything (e.g wall) you could attach one end to?
One problem with attaching to a wall (of any material) is that generally they are intended for a downward force, i.e. gravity acting on whatever mass is above, sticking an anchor into brickwork/blockwork and exerting a horizonal(ish) force on it might not be the best idea.

The recommended angle of a hammock's suspension is 30deg* from the horizontal, doing the maths means that each end has roughly the same force acting on it horizontally as the weight in the hammock. If you weigh 80kg then there'll be 80kg of force at each end pulling horizontally towards the centre point of the system. The shallower the angle of the suspension the greater the force - in theory if your hammock was strung perfectly horizontal there'd be an infinite force acting on the wall :shock:

*for 30deg form a pistol with your index finger and thumb and hold your index finger horizontal, the imaginary line between the tips of your finger and thumb is roughly 30deg.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:30 pm Ah, yeah that arrangement does need more space. Is there anything (e.g wall) you could attach one end to?
Thankfully, no - especially considering the post by @whitestone
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

I’ve got one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... =UTF8&th=1
It’s great, easy to put up and stored in bag so I take it when camping in van.
Really discounted today as well!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

whitestone wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:01 pm The shallower the angle of the suspension the greater the force - in theory if your hammock was strung perfectly horizontal there'd be an infinite force acting on the wall
I think you might need to check your working there Bob :wink:

But it's a fair point... Although with the right fixings and application, I'd be happy to hang off a brick wall in good condition.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I’ve seen somewhere, a pair of tripods - sort of similar to an easel - that support a long rail in the V’s at the top. The hammock is stretched out but tied to the rail near each end. This means that the tension of the hammock creates a compressing force on the rail, so doesn’t pull the trestles/easels together and doesn’t need further anchors.

The designs I saw used 3x2’s that would fold up for storage. I don’t know how they got around the 10/12ft stretcher pole.

I can’t seem to find a link, sorry.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:37 pm
whitestone wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:01 pm The shallower the angle of the suspension the greater the force - in theory if your hammock was strung perfectly horizontal there'd be an infinite force acting on the wall
I think you might need to check your working there Bob :wink:

But it's a fair point... Although with the right fixings and application, I'd be happy to hang off a brick wall in good condition.
Head spins in a tangle of vectors.... I think Bob is correct as the horizontal force needed to pull a string enough so that it's horizontal, despite supporting a weight, will tend to infinity.... or something...

I was actually thinking of doing this myself, my thought was my garage wall (well bolted together concrete panels, I just need a suitable anchor,) and a fence strainer post concreted into the ground. Or even a length of scafolding tube.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:31 pm I’ve seen somewhere, a pair of tripods - sort of similar to an easel - that support a long rail in the V’s at the top. The hammock is stretched out but tied to the rail near each end. This means that the tension of the hammock creates a compressing force on the rail, so doesn’t pull the trestles/easels together and doesn’t need further anchors.

The designs I saw used 3x2’s that would fold up for storage. I don’t know how they got around the 10/12ft stretcher pole.

I can’t seem to find a link, sorry.
Sounds like a Turtledog design. Forgive the spelling.
Hammock forum will have plans.
I made one a good few years back out of easily available lumber and hardware. Cost about £20 and folded away when not in use.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

pushbikemike wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:13 pm
Sounds like a Turtledog design. Forgive the spelling.
Hammock forum will have plans.
I made one a good few years back out of easily available lumber and hardware. Cost about £20 and folded away when not in use.
Ha! I didn’t imagine it then?
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

whitestone wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:01 pm *for 30deg form a pistol with your index finger and thumb and hold your index finger horizontal, the imaginary line between the tips of your finger and thumb is roughly 30deg.
🤯
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 12.16.32.png
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 12.16.32.png (522.03 KiB) Viewed 385 times
psling

Post by psling »

I'd have thought any pair of A frames with a top rail using those 3-way metal sockets would do it. Similar to the 'bike weigh' frame at WRT or pub garden swing/slide type frame.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Rockbus wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:31 pm I’ve got one of these
So, I ordered one of these, and it showed up today.
Very sturdy frame, and seems well made - will be eager to try it, tomorrow.

The one linked to was half the price of the other colours, for some reason - but has now returned to full price, so quite chuffed.

Thanks, v much
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

belugabob wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:11 pm

The one linked to was half the price of the other colours, for some reason - but has now returned to full price, so quite chuffed.

Thanks, v much
So, I've just assembled the hammock and am very impressed.
There are just 4 bolts (with knobs, for hand assembly) required to assemble the frame, and 2 hooked bolts for attaching the actual hammock, so it can be put up or taken down in just few minutes.
The hooked bolts can be attached at various heights to adjust the height/ tension of the hammock.
The hammock has lots of individual cords, so distributes the strain evenly, and the loops that attach to the hooks have reinforcing "thimbles" made of metal.
It all packs away into a very neat canvas bag, with handles that have been attached very well.

Excellent build quality and very comfy - just need to decide if I should allow my (very eager) cocker spaniel to share it
(It may end up that he won't share it with me😉)

Not sure I'd pay the full price, but at 50% off, it was value for money
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

belugabob wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:29 pm
belugabob wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:11 pm

Thanks, v much
So, I've just assembled the hammock and am very impressed.
There are just 4 bolts (with knobs, for hand assembly) required to assemble the frame, and 2 hooked bolts for attaching the actual hammock, so it can be put up or taken down in just few minutes.
The hooked bolts can be attached at various heights to adjust the height/ tension of the hammock.
The hammock has lots of individual cords, so distributes the strain evenly, and the loops that attach to the hooks have reinforcing "thimbles" made of metal.
It all packs away into a very neat canvas bag, with handles that have been attached very well.

Excellent build quality and very comfy - just need to decide if I should allow my (very eager) cocker spaniel to share it
(It may end up that he won't share it with me😉)

Not sure I'd pay the full price, but at 50% off, it was value for money
Glad you managed to get one at that price.

They’re brilliant arent they! Let’s hope we get decent weather this summer so we can use them!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

belugabob wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:29 pm
You generally want a hammock to have quite a bit of sag. From hammockforums.net the starting point is to have the "hung length" around 83% of the length of the fabric. This gives you enough sag that you can lie flat on a diagonal. I think I have mine a little less but it's a bit like tyre pressures - there's guidelines and what works for you. Most people attach a ridgeline between the ends of the hammock once they've got the sag dialled in to make setting up easy as you then can't overtighten the hammock.

If you have the hammock too tight you put a lot of tension on the material, again this increases markedly as you approach horizontal. There's one of shug emery's videos where he's talking about sag and sets the hammock at about 15deg and tears the material just getting out of the hammock.
belugabob wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:29 pm The hammock has lots of individual cords, so distributes the strain evenly, and the loops that attach to the hooks have reinforcing "thimbles" made of metal.
Sounds like a "clew knot" - something that US navy personnel used to use a lot.

Even if you don't get into hammocking it's worth getting a copy of "The Ultimate Hang" as there's lots of tips on getting the best out of a hammock.
Verena

Post by Verena »

belugabob wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:50 pm The idea of lazing in the hammock, at home, appeals to me.
However, my garden has no trees, and there are no strong and suitably spaced fenceposts, either, so I was thinking that one of those free standing hammock frames might be worth a try.

Has anybody done this, and have any advice?
Length between suspension points would seem to be the obvious thing to watch for...
Am in one of these right now, love it!

Will read on through the other posts here...
Verena

Post by Verena »

Ok, am full of cold, so the maths lessons above are beyond me...

I've got a freestanding frame thing, and a cheap as chips nylon hammock with carabiners.

Tips?
It certainly does if you forget not to park your bottom further in the middle or down towards the foot end than you'd think. Quite amusing that, should be done at least a couple of times a year, especially with a cup of tea or elaborately prepared plate of food in hand :lol:

I find this one doesn't sag quite enough to comfortably sit up to read say or drink the cup of tea (once you have stopped laughing, checked if the neighbours were watching when you fell out, and you've recovered your decorum and got back in), and for reasons above you can't just sit near the top to get that right, but I get around that with a few cushions.

Also mine comes with S hooks each end, which are loose and I lost them during the first winter I had it, so worth taking out and putting somewhere safe if storing away in winter, or else risk bitter disappointment on the first sunny day of spring...

Enjoy
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Has a very nice 10 minutes, earlier but have put it way, for now - until the weather becomes more predictable.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

We got one of the Amazon hammocks for the back garden a couple of years back now. I’ve spent many an hour in it with a book, often with a kid for company. I think if I was going to spend a night in it though I’d invest in a underquilt