Eid pressie prize! (Prize updated so gravel strokers don't feel intimidated against)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Eid pressie prize! (Prize updated so gravel strokers don't feel intimidated against)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hello you all. At the masjid today and I wondered whether I should share a little eid gift on the forum (btw, does anyone know where my Travis Prongs went - did I sell em someone on here... not sure I want the Sids after Allens broke!!).

Anyway... First person to get the following question right, wins an eid pump (roadie orientated but I'm sure it'll inflate an mtb tyre). One of the best pumps I've owned Topeak Pocket Rocket and not in the superlight version.

So, when the Angel Gabriel (Jibraeel) Peace Be Upon Him first came to our messenger Mohammed Sallallahu-alayhi-wasallaam...

1. What did Gabriel say?
2. What did Mohammed Sallallahu-alayhi-wasallaam eventually respond after having gathered himself and overcome to extreme shock?

:-bd
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Eid pressie prize!

It's the grey version of this. Grey is alwasy a bit more dull, we all know that :grin:
redefined_cycles

Re: Eid pressie prize! (Prize updated so gravel strokers don't feel intimidated against)

Prize updated. We now have an option of the Pocket Rocket or a Mini Dual G with psi gauge. One or the other, not both (sorry). The other pump https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topeak-Mini-Du ... B00JQN3J1Y
benconnolli

Re: Eid pressie prize! (Prize updated so gravel strokers don't feel intimidated against)

Post by benconnolli »

Eid Mubarak Shaf :-bd

I don't know the answer, and will leave it til this evening to research. Predict that it will be words to the effect of "I am the messenger of God, you are the profit Mohammed to bring the word of Allah to the world."

Then Mohammed would eventually respond "Thank you for the information. I will spread the word of Allah-peace be upon him to the world."

At college there is about 20 kids in, out of 2000.
redefined_cycles

benconnolli wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:42 am Eid Mubarak Shaf :-bd

20 out of 2000 :shock: That's a massive ratio. I'm gonna guess your in London somewhere today Ben.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I also dont know without googling but my guess is
ANGEL :You are the messenger of Allah spread his word to the world
PROPHET: either are you sure or ok I wiill get on with it.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Religious texts would a lot shorter if people on this forum wrote them.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Whilst I'm sure Christianity's 10 commandments could probably be condensed into Rule 1 (I'm pleading ignorance on other religions), the actual answer is shorter than the one suggested by Lazarus! :lol:
redefined_cycles

Just an update. Doesn't look like anyone has won yet and since eid after the month of fasting only lasts the one day, I'll end the eid prize comp at sunset today - there's when technically the next day starts for us (night is before the day, in case you ever get asked on the Who Wants to be a Millionaire show.

Letting it drag beyond sunset seems a bit pointless and disproportionate :lol: sunset in your part of the world will count but I can't afford to post it abroad (sorry :o ). It's the thought that counts and all that :cool:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Is rule 1 stop being soft ?
I know you mean the golden rule.

I will read up later what happened at the first meeting :-bd
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:30 pm Is rule 1 stop being soft ?
I know you mean the golden rule.

I will read up later what happened at the first meeting :-bd
Rule 1 in cycling I always thought was to not be an idiot??
redefined_cycles

Obviously in cycling terms I believe there's some foul language involved :smile:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I had to google it so I won’t spoil the answers. Was surprised to see Gabriel being mentioned though (which shows my ignorance) as always associated him with the Nativity story.

As a side note, (from my knowledge), the 10 commandments are for Jews and not something the Christian faith really refers to
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:11 am

20 out of 2000 :shock: That's a massive ratio. I'm gonna guess your in London somewhere today Ben.
Birmingham, we don't quite have 99% students celebrating Eid. It is a lot and we have a critical mass of Muslims so even students not celebrating Eid would not bother coming in because their mates wouldn't be in
redefined_cycles

benconnolli wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:40 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:11 am

Birmingham, we don't quite have 99% students celebrating Eid. It is a lot and we have a critical mass of Muslims so even students not celebrating Eid would not bother coming in because their mates wouldn't be in
I had every intention to come here and say, "stop the clock, we have a winner". Alas, maybe I'll have to go return it tomorrow :grin:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

, the 10 commandments are for Jews and not something the Christian faith really refers to
All the abrhamic/ibrahimic faiths have them and they are absolutely central to christianity* but less so to Muslims.(shaf will.correct here if i am wrong but they believe they were given( and the message corrupted) but have their own laws as the true.word of god/allah)

*eg thou shalt not kill( usually for abortions not the death penalty )
redefined_cycles

Still got about 40 mins left. Just saying :grin:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:17 pm
, the 10 commandments are for Jews and not something the Christian faith really refers to
All the abrhamic/ibrahimic faiths have them and they are absolutely central to christianity* but less so to Muslims.(shaf will.correct here if i am wrong but they believe they were given( and the message corrupted) but have their own laws as the true.word of god/allah)

*eg thou shalt not kill( usually for abortions not the death penalty )
It’s not something (at least in the Catholic Church) that they seem keen to concentrate on or indeed teach from my experience (18 years of catholic school and a regular church go-er too*). Think there was a couple of lessons on it during high school but more from Moses point of view. Can’t recall a priest ever discussing the 10 commandments in church.

You’ve hit the nail of the head though with some evangelical Christians though, picking and choosing how they interpret the same commandment

*although I could be somewhat out dated as I gave up on religion 20 years ago
slarge

Post by slarge »

We're gonna need some multiple choice Shaf.
redefined_cycles

slarge wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:02 pm We're gonna need some multiple choice Shaf.
:lol: I might keep em for next eid prize giveaway (or maybe I needed a better prize to tempt people to seek out the answers). But... I'll share the answer anyway... Couple of people got it right but they didn't want a prize and it was sent me via PM so I'll respect their wishes.
redefined_cycles

NB. Update... I'm seeking out a 2 to 5 mins vid describing the answer. After that anyone that wants to take a shot feel free.

You got until midnight :lol: if anyone really wanted/needed a pump... 2 ticks, lemme review a few vids that are easier to follow.
redefined_cycles

Here we go https://youtu.be/EGAqbci0w_Q?si=4VhDzyNsWQABN3G2

On topic of the name of the Angel Gabriel (peace be upin him) - another one if you're on Who wants to be a millionaire - the arabs didn't have a history of receiving messengers as regularly as the Jewish tribes. So when Jibraeel (PBUH) came, Muhammed PBUH was confused. The cousin (or uncle) of his wife Khadija came after when he (Muhammed Sallallahu-alayhi-wasallaam) was feeling overwhelmed and confused.

In a lengthy discussion/narration, he (the uncle/cousin/wise man) described the Angel Gabriel as 'Namoos al Akbar'. The Greatest Angel. Lastly linking to what John said earlier (and without making it a religious debate/discussion and going off topic and/or getting into trouble with anyone), yes... The muslims believe in the previous scriptures sent by God to the various messengers. But we believe in the original transcripts of which many have been edited and corrupted.

We don't necessarily follow them as many laws/instructions of God changed with the message brought by different prophets. Jesus PBUH (Eesa) and Mary May God be Pleaaed with Her (Maryam) have their own stories explained in the Holy Quran with Jesus mentioned more times than Muhammed and Mary having a chapter named after her.

Anyway... back on topic. Is anyone taking the pump-pressie or what. Or do I go return it in the morn :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

At the risk of being flippant, I was thinking along the lines of....

Gab - "Alright me old son, how's it going. Now. I want you to listen very carefully - you've to tell everyone they have to be nice to each other, got it?"

Mohammed (after recovering from the considerable shock of having a guy with wings appear, which isn't a daily occurrence thereabouts) "Errr, is that all? OK then"

Gab then goes on to elaborate somewhat....
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It’s not something (at least in the Catholic Church)
Definetly did it in my C of E primary school..might just have been bible reading.( i never really bought into it despite the (attempted ) brain washing they considered education.
redefined_cycles

Thread closed. I'll try n feed the bear instead :smile: