Anyone local to these areas able to review (sections of) my route pls?

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Anyone local to these areas able to review (sections of) my route pls?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Whats your email pls. I'll PM you the gpx just now.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Hi Shaf ,

It’s hard to see from your screen-shot, but it looks like you’ll be going past my house (south of Wrexham).
I’ve pm’ed you my location. You can send me the gpx and I can, maybe, offer some suggestions - especially avoiding the A5. Have you a specific date yet? It’d be nice to wave to you as you go past, or maybe even join you for a few miles, though I suspect I wouldn’t be able to keep up with you.

Sorry, all. My messages have got mixed up when I deleted an earlier double post. I’m sure you can work it out.. :wink:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Hi Shaf - I've downloaded your proposed track and indeed, it does go past my house. Sadly I won't be there - I'll be in Scotland canoeing the Great Glen canoe trail - a tick off my bucket list. :grin: Pooh! I'd have liked to have seen you or maybe ridden a little way with you.

I see you've avoided the A5 and opted for the back lanes from LLangollen to Corwen, A better option, but has a few horrible push-up-'em hills. But If you take a left turn at the top of a hill at Trevor, SJ 269 425, you can drop down the hill to the Llangollen canal at SJ 271 423 and follow the towpath almost to the start of the canal past Llangollen at SJ 202 434 and rejoin your route. This will save you climbing up 150 metres to Dinas Bran before losing all that height again back to Llangollen. And it'll tick a few miles of gravel for you,too (about 7 miles of easy riding, but it is a little muddy in places). :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
redefined_cycles

Thanks 'Frog at'... Them extra few metres of elevation were a hard fought find so will stay right in there. Regards gravel, just as we approach Manchester after (probably) the hardest push out of Huddersfield on the top edge of the Peaks (about 5 miles of slog with wind and full exposure... usually people give up before the end as have I) there's some lovely gnarly rocky paths. I think if I include them, the off road would be ticked for me also.

It's a ride to try and replicate a 'what the heck' ride. Normally my aim is more than 200 miles (lower the number the better) but close to 14,000 ft of up :lol: Sounds sadistic I know, but it's a road ride and in the grand scheme of things is fairly easy :grin: (I suppose).
redefined_cycles

*compared to other peoples tough rides/routes. Not mentioning any names!
atk

Post by atk »

I'll share these suggestions here in case anyone else is interested.

The section along Route 6/Fallowfield Loop/TPT from Reddish through Chorlton makes sense. It's almost all tarmac and as long as you're not heading through on your own in the evening/late at night you should be fine (there's occasional mugging/stabbing, I've never had any trouble (touch wood...) but have friends who've had quite unpleasant experiences).

I'd personally pick a different route between Stretford and High Leigh The main roads can be quite busy, especially on a Saturday morning.

There's either the canal (might be slow going if you're in a big group dodging other users):
Stretford_A.jpg
Stretford_A.jpg (118.27 KiB) Viewed 403 times
atk

Post by atk »

Or there's a slightly longer road route that runs by the United training ground:
Stretford_B.jpg
Stretford_B.jpg (111.4 KiB) Viewed 402 times
atk

Post by atk »

After that I'd look at staying on route 70 through towards Kelsall (gravel detours available if required...). Other than the trying to turn right off Warrington Road (before Acton Bridge), it's quite a pleasant route and isn't too busy compared to the main roads you're on at the moment. Simon probably has some suggestions round this way too.
Route_70.jpg
Route_70.jpg (91.57 KiB) Viewed 402 times
I'd say watch out on Chester Road between Alford and Farndon, I'd usually take the small side roads west of Alford and Churton, but that makes more sense if you're heading northbound and being on it a bit is unavoidable.

At Cock Bank you can cross straight over, heading west towards Stryt-Yr-Hwch and then turn left towards Crabtree Green to avoid a bit of A road, apparently I've done that on some audax before. Shortly after, New Hall Lane runs parallel to the A483, which might be preferable to being on a dual carriage way...

Seems a shame not to ride the Panorama Walkway above Llangollen while you've over that way, but would add a bit of a climb to get up there.
atk

Post by atk »

e.g.:
Not_the_A5.jpg
Not_the_A5.jpg (33.97 KiB) Viewed 396 times
redefined_cycles

Thanks very much Andy. Will go over it all again shortly and absorb all the info. Panorama walkway will probably take me too far off track as there is some climbs that need keeping in through Wales.

Really appreciate everyones help and will look at my choices around Manchester also.
atk

Post by atk »

I'll pop those bits over as a GPX by email. Just need to run a few errands first.
redefined_cycles

Appreciated thanks Andy.
redefined_cycles

Been looking at the route as well as suggestions today. Thanks so much for all the input and especially those that helped by editing some gps files.

After atk and someone earlier mentioned the Panorama Walkway and Andy put it in the file - meaning I could see there wasn't much extra mileage to the total route - it'll stay in. For gravel we have that section just before Mossley and Stalybridge, called Intake Lane and Moor Edge Road. That'll do nicely as I've ridden it before and has some nice little rocky paths.

The but into Brum will be edited and, like they say in some parts of the world... Thats a route!!

Thanks everyone your help...
redefined_cycles

Check out this route on Strava: https://strava.app.link/siT1mrULRIb — KBWra 2024 Dews-Brum

Route updated and is above. Thanks again everyone and I think it's all decent riding now. Now silly roads involved. Elevation has gotten a bit much and I'm slightly worried for my knees. But, thats life!