Aeroe rear rack thoughts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

Aeroe rear rack thoughts

Post by fatbikerbill »

My full triangle bag is getting a bit thread bare as is my seat bag holder so was pondering an aeroe rear pack with two holders ie on the sides.

This is to go primarily on the solarismax, but also a gravel bike (not yet bought) for general bike packing with inevitable hike a bike.

Edit: I'd probably use a bag slung under the top tube and keeping the triangle free would better allow water bottles.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are.
riderdown

Re: Aeroe rear rack thoughts

Post by riderdown »

I have the pannier rack version

It's great for switching between frames but is heavy, it slipped once loaded asymmetrically but that could be down to not rechecking the tightness of the bolts

Some failures allegedly on carbon frames, I'm fine with it on my steel and alloy frames
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

What's an aero rear rack Phil. Do you mean Tailfin?? In which case I'd go for it. Mate got one given and bought some others. Speaks highly of em and one day I might get the same.

Your bike will look as cool as the Summitoppler bike. Maybe even get an invite to Bikepacking.com for a photoshoot.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:12 pm What's an aero rear rack Phil. Do you mean Tailfin??
Shaf, Aeroe is the brand name, nowhere near as sleek looking as a tailfin but so much cheaper. https://aeroe.com/products/spider-rear-rack
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath has one fitted to her Stooge. Not had it long so no long term review thoughts.

Looks sturdy. I think the frame comes with one bag holder so you need to get a second one if you’re going to have one both sides. Also looks a bit of a faff to swap between top mount and side mount. Certainly not a two minute job.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:20 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:12 pm What's an aero rear rack Phil. Do you mean Tailfin??
Shaf, Aeroe is the brand name, nowhere near as sleek looking as a tailfin but so much cheaper. https://aeroe.com/products/spider-rear-rack
Very nice, yes I remember now. Thanks for the pointer Paul.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I put my seat bag on the top plate of my pannier version. Any robust dry bag will be fine, use long tpu straps to hold it in place.

Run it with a single pannier for commuting down that canal
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

No experience with the Aeroe, but I have an Ortleib QuicK Rack which is the business :grin:
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Cheers.

In an odd sort of way I can't explain I quite like the look.

Any thoughts on their ability to impede hike a bike?

I guess they also affect balance detrimentally of the bike if it means weight moving from the inner triangle to the rear.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Two JMC riders just cycled passed on a big two day ride, Bollington to Bollington.

One had the aluminium tail fin. Looked very svelte and the aluminium one comes with triple cage mounts on the vertical bits.

He reccomends
jameso

Post by jameso »

Some failures allegedly on carbon frames,
(disclaimer, I work for the company who distributes them now but it's not related to my own role there)

A while back I got a chance to talk to the chap behind the product and had to ask him about what looked like an interesting leverage situation and how they managed the risk on some bike frames. He said they were so confident it wasn't a risk on all but the most extreme frame designs like the rim brake Cervelo R3 -bikes I don't think it'd fit anyway due to the seatstay size- that they'd given riders guarantees on it and hadn't had to replace any frames. I've not seen that in print and tbh would be amazed if they did that since they can't know every frame's construction, but his confidence wasn't the more cautious answer I expected. I'm sure a crash could do some damage though.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

One picture I have seen

https://images.app.goo.gl/nVSi19K6nvdB5Xwi8

I own one, happy to have it on my steel and alloy frames, won't be fitting it to the Cuthroat

Spider version discounted here https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/aeroe-spider-rear-rack
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I genuinely can’t believe people are clamping those to carbon frames.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Its clearly.a bad idea to inflict clamping forces on a carbon tube and almost certain to end in disaster ( esp if you give it enough time )

The racks do look pretty bomproof though
jameso

Post by jameso »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:45 pm Its clearly.a bad idea to inflict clamping forces on a carbon tube
Carbon steerer tubes?

Don't get me wrong, the design does raise eyebrows.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

jameso wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:00 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:45 pm Its clearly.a bad idea to inflict clamping forces on a carbon tube
Carbon steerer tubes?

Don't get me wrong, the design does raise eyebrows.
In my head, a manufacturer has designed that forked or spaced it to the forces required (here’s hoping) whilst a lot of manufacturers I’m guessing has not designed the rear stays for such use (and a lot now in design the rears to flex or to be more ‘compliance).

It’s a bit like the kids shotgun carrier, they claim it can be fitted to any mountain (if I remember correctly) but I’m not sure the manufacturers would agree with this approach. Shudders to think what could go wrong
Attachments
IMG_1040.jpeg
IMG_1040.jpeg (118.83 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Steerers are designed for clamping, as is the seat post/ collar but a chainstay is not.

Its not worth the risk
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I have one which I've strapped 2 20 litre dry bags too.

Carbon fibre seatstays on my Salsa Pony Rustler. So far done the N loop of the 550 and part of the Jennride without any dramas.

Probably going to use it on the TMB in June, though just with one bag on top.

jameso

Post by jameso »

In my head, a manufacturer has designed that forked or spaced it to the forces required (here’s hoping) whilst a lot of manufacturers I’m guessing has not designed the rear stays for such use (and a lot now in design the rears to flex or to be more ‘compliance).
Yes, I agree - was just picking up on a more general point on clamping to carbon. 'It depends'.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I should add that I made sure I used a torque wrench to avoid crushing the stays. (4nM)
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Rich,

How does that ride with so much weight at the back?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

fatbikerbill wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:36 pm Rich,

How does that ride with so much weight at the back?
Can't say i really noticed the weight. Definitely a wide load though which took a bit of getting used to.

For the TMB I'd balance it out with a Salsa cage on the bars.
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:21 pm Steerers are designed for clamping, as is the seat post/ collar but a chainstay is not.

Its not worth the risk
The OMM website also takes this approach and hence has most of the clamping force (on frames without chainstay mounts) at the dropouts. I'd personally never clamp anything to the seatstays of my carbon frames but woukd risk on the steel/alu.

Edit: on a carbon steerer tube I always assumed the bung that goes inside helps equalise some of the pressures from the torque applied by the stem! Plus, I'm always super careful (personally) with using correct torque applications.
redefined_cycles

jameso wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:49 am
Yes, I agree - was just picking up on a more general point on clamping to carbon. 'It depends'.
Regards the rear stays of my Sonder Transmitter Carbon (5 year warranty of which it broke within 3 and supposedly their strongest frame ever, at the time). I impact tested the seat stays during crash/destruction testing before it got binned. Can honestly confirm that it'd have easily taken high clamping forces as it withstood the (can't recall how many) blows from all my various weight hammers/mallet.

So some really are designed to take some decent crushing forces! Not that I'd want to try/test.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Edit: on a carbon steerer tube I always assumed the bung that goes inside helps equalise some of the pressures from the torque applied by the stem!
Should do yes, doesn't always prevent the stem edge making marks into the outer or leverage against the headset etc but it could/should make up for compressibility or flex in the tube there.
Carbon seatstays can be very thick-walled as a ratio of the diameter (eg compared to a steerer) which would help.