Re: WRT GR's

Post by JohnClimber »

Kiss of death post......

It looks dry and not below freezing on the up run to the WRT

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2644166
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:19 pm Most source rivers are currently at normal levels - they do rise quickly but obviously fall quickly too.
JohnClimber wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 pm Kiss of death post......
I’ll pack waders and a snorkel so! Thanks lads.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Considering that here today we've had bright sunshine, high winds, heavy rain, more sunshine, hail, and thunderstorms, all between 9am and 5pm, I shall look out of my window on May 4th and forecast "ah right, that's the WRT weather then" :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Boab

Post by Boab »

Due to the sub standard hitting the fan at home, I've not really had much of a chance to look at the grid refs and obsess over creating a route. It's not an area I've been to yet, so I'm lacking knowledge of where all the potential re-supply points and what not are. So, are there any SPAR's or other places near by, where are people planning on going for food, anything I should avoid, etc, etc...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've only got day 1 roughly mapped out but there's a pub in llandgadfan, a cafe on the near side of lake vyrnwy that opens at 10am and a corner shop in Abertridwr.
psling

Post by psling »

There is also a café in Llandagfan plus the shop in Abertridwr is very bikepacker friendly :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

psling wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 pm There is also a café in Llandagfan plus the shop in Abertridwr is very bikepacker friendly :-bd
Just had to goole maps where Llandagfan & Abertridwr are
The first is in Anglesey, the second in in South Wales.

Good luck with that long route over the weekend :-bd
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

Thanks for that pointer, Paul, I'd not spotted the pub in Llangadfan! There's also a pub and Spar in Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, and a Spar in Llanfyllin.
psling

Post by psling »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:38 pm
psling wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 pm There is also a café in Llandagfan plus the shop in Abertridwr is very bikepacker friendly :-bd
Just had to goole maps where Llandagfan & Abertridwr are
The first is in Anglesey, the second in in South Wales.

Good luck with that long route over the weekend :-bd
:lol: That's the beauty of Wales, try searching for Pennant!! :lol:
To be fair I miss-spelt LlanGADfan and this Abertridwr is just below the dam of Lake Vyrnwy .
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Thanks all!
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

https://dafarnnewyddstores.wales/takeaway

This might be of interest to people re the shop in Abertridwr.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Must take a look at these asap...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Does anyone else plan their trips around likely places to sleep? I've got a rough plan for day 1 but that's where my local knowledge dries up.
Boab

Post by Boab »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm Does anyone else plan their trips around likely places to sleep? I've got a rough plan for day 1 but that's where my local knowledge dries up.
I have in the passed, but didn't last year, which was a mistake. Ended up riding around Hafren for ages trying to find anywhere flat, that was wasn't compacted hardcore, or bog. Ended up on a slope, wedged between some tussocks, which wasn't ideal.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm Does anyone else plan their trips around likely places to sleep? I've got a rough plan for day 1 but that's where my local knowledge dries up.
Do a rough route with several bivi option spots in a similar area to each near food and drink options, especially if you are not taking food.
Then link these areas in the safest way using bridleways and back roads.
But always avoiding the main busy roads at all costs
RIP

Post by RIP »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm that's where my local knowledge dries up.
That sounds like an ideal situation to me :smile: . From that point onwards... "feel the force" ... it's when the real adventure starts :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

RIP wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:07 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm that's where my local knowledge dries up.
That sounds like an ideal situation to me :smile: . From that point onwards... "feel the force" ... it's when the real adventure starts :-bd
I'm not quite the random shed connoisseur you are :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:44 am
RIP wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:07 pm
I'm not quite the random shed connoisseur you are :grin:
We all have it in us, sometimes just takes a little adversity for it to blossom :smile: .

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

This time next week.
See you in The Wynnstay Arms for the evening before merriments
jameso

Post by jameso »

A supplies recommendation - there's a wonderful Post Office / Cafe / someone's living room in Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, Gegin Fach. It has a little outdoor area that's suitable for grubby bike riders where you can browse SH books and various car boot sale type oddities. Also a Spar and a chippy nearby. If you're as lucky as I was last time I was there the WI will be having another cake sale in aid of the church.

There's a GR south of there by a track I remember well, it's lovely.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Well, a provisional route has been sketched out. Maybe a touch too much climbing for my legs in their current state, so will ponder for a few more days...

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Does anyone know if you can get to Carno through the windfarm from the Towers without meeting any locked gates as due to shoulder issues lifting the bike over isn't possible ?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does anyone know if you can get to Carno through the windfarm from the Towers without meeting any locked gates as due to shoulder issues lifting the bike over isn't possible ?
Yes. The large double gate at the far end could be locked (doubtful) but there's a smaller pedestrian gate to the side.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Thanks Stu
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I've just told the owner of "Dafarn Newydd: Village Stores, Takeaway & Fuel Station" to expect a few of us over the weekend, so they shouldn't run out of fish and chips and other stuff for us