WRT GR's

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

WRT GR's

Post by RIP »

Excellent, looking forward to it as usual. But the one in the middle of the Lake seems to be missing for some reason? :smile:
Last edited by RIP on Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ootini

Re: WRT GR's

Post by ootini »

Anyone dotted them on a GPX file yet ?
psling

Post by psling »

Mmmm... just got to decide whether to have Sunday morning breakfast in Newtown, dinner in Llangollen or vice versa? :shock:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:27 am Llangollen
Just bought an electric bike then have you P? :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers Stu, now trying to plot on a map (digital Reg, sorry)
So the utterly rubbish OS app doesn't allow you to add GR's to a route - does anyone know of something that allows me to plot all the GR's then create a GPX pf them all and straight lines between them, which I can edit?
ootini

Post by ootini »

So I'm assuming it's all primarily NE of BB towers this year ?
psling

Post by psling »

ootini wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:14 pm So I'm assuming it's all primarily NE of BB towers this year ?
Yes. E & NE
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ootini

Post by ootini »

psling wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:18 pm
ootini wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:14 pm So I'm assuming it's all primarily NE of BB towers this year ?
Yes. E & NE
Cheers. I've already plotted a route for myself, my son and a couple of mates and were heading due South through Hafren, only because the route is known to us, I'm confident my son could ride it, and it allows us some campsite options.

Grid references? We don't need no stinking grid references! :mrgreen:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nah, you're fine Oot, you've just got your map upside down, you'll be lumped in with the rest of us :smile: .

Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

Can we check the 2nd GR on the list?
There be no bridleways in sight. Does look like it might be interesting round shaped thing...possibly...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I noticed that. The OS app in bike mode took you up the track to with 100m of it. But I wouldn't trust the OS app to tell me the time of day....
Couple of potential cheeky short cuts up north!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can we check the 2nd GR on the list?
There be no bridleways in sight. Does look like it might be interesting round shaped thing...possibly...
Somewhere near will do ... and at least 'it's' not 15 miles out at sea this year. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:47 pm Cheers Stu, now trying to plot on a map (digital Reg, sorry)
So the utterly rubbish OS app doesn't allow you to add GR's to a route - does anyone know of something that allows me to plot all the GR's then create a GPX pf them all and straight lines between them, which I can edit?
I plot them on Grid Ref Finder
https://gridreferencefinder.com/

I'll drop you a message
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

ootini wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:22 pm
Yes. E & NE
Cheers. I've already plotted a route for myself, my son and a couple of mates and were heading due South through Hafren, only because the route is known to us, I'm confident my son could ride it, and it allows us some campsite options.

I had a route going out to Aberystwyth ... then back through Hafren .... that's out the window
ootini

Post by ootini »

godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:40 am
ootini wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:22 pm
Yes. E & NE

I had a route going out to Aberystwyth ... then back through Hafren .... that's out the window
Even in previous years I don't think I've ever plotted a route picking up more than one or two GRs.
ootini

Post by ootini »

RIP

Post by RIP »

Ermmmmm, I think we're meant to be schtum with GRs until after the event?

psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:55 pm Erm, aren't we meant to be schtum until after the event?
Bl00dy hell Reg, we're going to have to put you out to pasture!! That's the BB200/300, the WRT is decidedly non-competitive :lol: :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

But I've learned the secret handshake and everything though!

ootini

Post by ootini »

RIP wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:55 pm Ermmmmm, I think we're meant to be schtum with GRs until after the event?
We are??? Stu, feel free to delete my post if it shouldn't be there.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

ootini wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:15 am
godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:40 am I had a route going out to Aberystwyth ... then back through Hafren .... that's out the window
Even in previous years I don't think I've ever plotted a route picking up more than one or two GRs.
Whilst I'm generally a misanthrope and I'd be happy enough being alone on a trip, WRT is different, and I actually like seeing other similar minded daft buggers occasionally, usually heading in the opposite direction and equally "temporarily misplaced" ... it's my attempt at a social event.
I've sketched a NE based route...
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ yes the randomly-bumping-into-other-crackpots but then bouncing off in another direction is a huge part of the WRT event (arg) I think. If you devise a route (arg) in a totally different direction I think you miss out on a big part of the experience (arg). You may as well have just 'done a solo trip to mid Wales' on a completely different weekend? No T-shirt though I suppose :smile: .

GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

So this year I'm hoping to ride my own (heavily 2015 BB200 inspired) route. I might need a sanity check on a couple of decisions though, given I'm mostly in unfamiliar country.

Did the 2015 BB200 have a river crossing of River Vyrnwy after 138km (NE of Dolanog)?? Given the fact that it hasn't stopped raining in the last few months is that likely to be a viable option??
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Duncan, there was a river crossing somewhere in that area. I could not confirm that very spot but I do recall paddling in the dark around then.
As you say, a lot of rain this winter, no knowledge of current conditions - one way to find out!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Most source rivers are currently at normal levels - they do rise quickly but obviously fall quickly too.
May the bridges you burn light your way