Kids bikes!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Kids bikes!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bit of a vague title, sorry. My little man is going on 10 soon and at some point I've told him we'll get him a new bike. But I don't plan on getting ripped for something substandard off the shelves.

Only slight problem is that I do want it to look mint for him. I can swrvice the Shimano calipers and levers I have to add discs. Bars, I'm sure I can find something decently priced on internet and forks I'm sure there's plenty about..

The only one niggle is that am I working too prematurely in the hope to build him his first proper big-boys bike. The wheels I have is the Hope PRO2 EVO on 27.5 plus (almost) rims. But, would they be too big for something that I hope to help grow with him.

Maybe a decent/used 14" frame and a super short stem with steerer cut to the limit on forks. Saddle/postdropped right down as he grows with it and a rigid fork (to keep it exciting for when he gets his first quality suspension God Willing).

Thoughts... He's average height for a 10year oldand currently rides about on his 20" wheeled bike.
voodoo_simon

Re: Kids bikes!

Post by voodoo_simon »

Might be worth sorucing a trek marlin frame in xs (this fits 650b as the other sizes are 29er).

Decent frames, should be plenty of them knocking about as they’re popular. Can also take a normal rear rack so that may be helpful to carry stuff in a longer ride
redefined_cycles

Thanks v much Simon. How much do I owe you :grin:
redefined_cycles

Just ebay searched it. I guess that his eid sorted (wouldn't usually spend so much on a gift specifically for eid but I know he'll use it well). Thanks again... Best get saving!
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I built my now 10, but then 9 years old, daughter a bike around an XS trek 26" frame - you can get nice older complete bikes for very little on eBay, and then some garage raiding added a 1*10 deore groupset and some avid brakes... She seems very happy with it, and I don't expect to loose much money in it when she's ready to move up to 27.5" wheels.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Paul. Yes, that could also be a nice little option. You're right about the cash and ebay. Always done that with my own bikes and those built for others. :-bd
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Built both my kids bikes from 26 components.

Was lucky with the lads bike as someone local was selling a cotic soul full bike for cheap (came with hope wheels and tech x2 brakes). I then put a wanted ad on here for an xs frame and someone had an on one inbred in excellent condition. That frame lasted a couple of years before I upsized it to a small ragley mmmbob (which he’s now just about grown out of).