Bum bag cover

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Bum bag cover

Post by thenorthwind »

Very simple one, but made a cover for my Evoc Hip Pack Pro to keep the crap off, particularly the zip, from some leftover lightweight ripstop nylon and a bit of elastic. Oh and some onewrap to secure it through the holes in the belt (not entirely necessary but makes sure it covers it properly and stays put).

sean_iow

Re: Bum bag cover

Post by sean_iow »

I made one for mine, so nice to be able to hose the cover off and chuck it in the washing machine and have a clean bag underneath.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

For me it's the ability to access snacks without getting my hands covered in muck. Particularly symptomatic of the winter we've had I think!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Have just stumbled across this one and it's not a bad idea. I don't see Ortlieb doing a waist pack anymore and all the rest seem to be made of materials that would wet out eventually.

Some waist packs I've used in the past (I'm looking at you Batpack6!) were chronic mud catchers...I'm interested to know if you've had any issues where the lower lip on the body-side of the back has caught any mud.

Nice job.

Greetz

S : )
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've made one that's virtually identical and it's not a problem. The lip is against your back so the mud doesn't get to that part.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Scattamah wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:08 am Have just stumbled across this one and it's not a bad idea. I don't see Ortlieb doing a waist pack anymore and all the rest seem to be made of materials that would wet out eventually.

Some waist packs I've used in the past (I'm looking at you Batpack6!) were chronic mud catchers...I'm interested to know if you've had any issues where the lower lip on the body-side of the back has caught any mud.

Nice job.

Greetz

S : )
Cheers! No, I haven't noticed that - only used it a couple of times, but in very claggy conditions. The elastic being behind the straps tension it and keeps the lip well behind the bag, so should avoid that issue.

Coincidentally, and somewhat annoyingly, I found one of the proper Evoc covers in a load of new stock our local charity bike recycling place had got from a distributor for a fiver :roll: But I confirmed it's just your standard cover arrangement and the straps can't go through it, so I reckon it's more likely to suffer from that issue. That's what I'm telling myself :cool: