Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Re: Monks trod - wtf

Post by PaulB2 »

RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 am I'd better get my furry socks into gear for this month...
Good to have you back missus. Yep, but plenty of time yet. Might be fun to do 31st then wake up on April 1st to see if the joke's on you or not :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
faustus

Post by faustus »

What a strange decision, and I would expect this added media attention might help to focus thinking around it. As a historical route it deserves preservation, but it's usage by motorised vehicles doesn't match the environmental conditions and the sensitive habitat it crosses. That should really be the test for many rights of way - especially in sensitive habitats - regardless of historical usage or legal designation. As others have said, there are other routes nearby, and seems a bizarre way to spend money on improving access. If the spend is intended to preserve the route and it's environment, then that's a good thing - it just doesn't seem to be the case. On a practical level, I can't see that £1m is going to go very far on a fairly long and isolated bit if mountain, unless it's to boost an already allotted bit of budget?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

From the guardian article only 300k is earmarked for the byway itself
Itchynuts

Post by Itchynuts »

ton wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:23 am Typical UK mentality now though....... appeasing the masses
A bit late to this party but unfortunately "appeasing the masses" sounds like democracy. For a long time now I've thought democracy is seriously flawed but can't think of anything better.
Lazarus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:46 pm
you could say what you wanted as a fast walking pace would outrun it :lol:
Genuinely laughed at this and agree with what you said. Ebikers with their choices are making everything unrideable even when it dries out its ruttted terribly.
Ebikers? Are you saying ebikes should be kept off the trails? I hope not.

Just for the record I am totally opposed to the idea of 4x4's making Monks Trod unrideable on a bike even though I don't know where it is and am unlikely to ever go there.
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

There's few byways in my local area that are now subject to Traffic Management Orders because the local 4X4 clubs and dirt bike riders couldn't play nice, despite repeated chances to reign ion their behaviour. :roll: It also didn't help that some were basically used as mass fly tipping sites, or dumping grounds for nicked, burnt out vehicles. :roll: