Stress Art

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Stress Art

Post by redefined_cycles »

Keep it engineering related (buildings, bikes, motors, walls, roads... You get the gist). Behind every stressful point there's always a story and a lesson as well as coping mechanism. My one is this...

Broke a bolt on a car that they no longer produce parts for. My own fault, in the hurry of winding it out I decided to get the impact wrench on it. Winding it out slowly with the breaker bar (it was coming out) was obviously not good enough.

5 days later and a few hours at a time, the car is finally back on the road. No more having to beg/borrow the wifes car and wonder whether mine will live. Took solace in the fact that my stress was nothing compared to those around the world being starved to death in well coordinated methods.

Didn't swear once (well, maybe once in writing but it had a * included, so a full foul word didn't actually come out) and nor did I really miss any of the ramadhan activities... Like praying on time, upping the amount of Quran I read/investigate or going to work to afford any charity I might wanna give/help with.

Moral of the story. Be more patient. If the jobs getting done (in my case the bolt coming out), then just let it wind out slowly instead of rushin it. Think of those in more stress than yourself and don't forget to help those in need (as well as say thanks to those that help ya).

Oh, that bolt... It's the replacement. As soon as I sheared mine (14mm with a 19mm head and for some reason the replacement had 10 etched into the head) I drove straight to the Japanese cars salvage place. It was a one in a 500 chance to find one. Chap that owned the place had already closed up 20 minutes before time due to fasting.

Nice man he was, opened the yard and told me, '5 minutes to search the floors'. 10 seconds later, told me '3 minutes' but also pointed me yo where I should be looking. An Alladins Cave of random bolts. Hundreds and hundreds of em, but not one that matched my 14mm one... except maybe this (above) which I've also shaved done the spine...
redefined_cycles

Re: Stress Art

A Sonder Transmitted (into the afterlife). It wasn't rage (like, honest) but carefully engineered testing with various mallets and cutting tools.

They said, 'our strongest frame ever'.
I said, 'I concur... kindof... but I don't want another for half price, thanks though'.

:lol: Should've really done more art with that one really.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Always good to keep these artifacts as a reminder!

I think I've posted this on here before, but this
Is the sump plug out of my old Volvo 240. I stupidly tried to wind it out clockwise doing an oil change due to being in a hurry, and upside down, and instead of thinking about why it was so difficult to undo, doubled down and got the breaker bar out :oops: Stripped the thread in the sump, with the bolt stuck in it.

Cue several days underneath the car hacksawing the head off in order to unwind the bolt, which would only go inwards, and thence fishing around in the partially removed sump (full removal requiring a removal of the front cross-member first) with a magnet on the end of a bit of wire to remove the stump. I remember them being exceptionally sunny days, which in some ways was a blessing, but would have made great days for riding, or doing anything other than crawling around under an old car :roll:
redefined_cycles

We're allowed to laugh on this thread :lol:

Reminds me of every time I trolley jack (the big 2 or 3 tonner from Halfords Advanced) the car up. Always have to double and triple check I'm on the right part under the car. Last time I cross referenced Eric the Car Guy and he explains how you just find the towing point which is hardened. But yesterday as I lofted the opposite end (after being done with the rear) I couldn't find it and went for the standard area... which is scarily close to the oil pan.

Almost have nightmares of shearing the bottom and mobile mechanic/tow truck arriving and laughing at me, "who told you to work on your car yourself" :lol: Dunno how I'd answr it in such circumstance.