Matthew Fairbrother

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Matthew Fairbrother

Post by thenorthwind »

I thought this feat was deserving of attention on here: https://m.pinkbike.com/news/photo-story ... orted.html
fatbikephil

Re: Matthew Fairbrother

Post by fatbikephil »

That seems a jolly sporting thing to do - fair play. Who carried his bike on the kayak crossing though? :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

What a guy, astounding. A lesson in tenacity, fortitude, and winging it. Quite bonkers too of course :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I was going to suggest they change the format so they were all self-supported to give him a better chance.... oh hang on he won anyway :o

How must the other riders be feeling after getting beaten by a guy who rode all the way when they arrived fresh from the truck/helicopter.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:21 pm That seems a jolly sporting thing to do - fair play. Who carried his bike on the kayak crossing though? :lol:
Nobody - he strapped it onto the deck of his sea kayak...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

PaulE wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:31 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:21 pm That seems a jolly sporting thing to do - fair play. Who carried his bike on the kayak crossing though? :lol:
Nobody - he strapped it onto the deck of his sea kayak...
That was his plan, but because of the bad weather someone took it for him. What a cheat! :wink:
sean_iow wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:22 pm How must the other riders be feeling after getting beaten by a guy who rode all the way when they arrived fresh from the truck/helicopter.
I thought that too... Any normal person would find it quite demanding and would probably be feeling quite pleased with themselves just having finished... were it not for some kid doing all of it, all of the transfers, and still being quicker :shock:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

PS for those that haven't come across him before, he has previous for this sort of deviant behaviour... A couple of years ago (?) he raced the Enduro World Series as a privateer, bikepacking between races out of necessity. It got quite a lot of coverage, and he seems to have got quite a few sponsors now, probably as a result.